·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car with code
17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System
P1479 - 008 - Mechanical Failure

No power brakes.

But also have 'lean' codes on both banks.

Before I order brake booster, is it possible the code and symptoms (no power brakes, STIFF brakes) by just a vacuum leak to the brake booster?
If so: what are easy/common ways to leak test (I have a 'smoker') the V8? Where is it easy to tap in?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also (if replacing the brake booster will be required): Any links to good DIY instructions?

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Can't help on the brakes but when they're fixed do make sure your timing belt is still "in service" - that's no more than 80,000 miles or that it's less than 5 years old.

If in any doubt the belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat all need replacing.

If the belt lets go the engine is toast as others have found.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't help on the brakes but when they're fixed do make sure your timing belt is still "in service" - that's no more than 80,000 miles or that it's less than 5 years old.

If in any doubt the belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat all need replacing.

If the belt lets go the engine is toast as others have found.
Will see if I can find ANY indication if timing belt service was done. If not: certainly will do (as on all my 1.8T, 2.7T, 2.0T cars).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure its the brake booster itself and not the vacuum line running to it thats cracked? The vacuum line, is a high failure item due to age and cracks. /QUOTE]
That is on the list for today. Want to 'smoke' (leak test) the system prior to ordering part. Have seen lots of vac leaks, but really have NEVER had to replace a brake booster.

Any tips where to connect the smoker/block? No experience on V8. Don't even know yet where lines run.
Ideally, like to take MAF off (needs to be blocked off anyways) and fit my cone adapter in to pressurize the system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is on the list for today. Want to 'smoke' (leak test) the system prior to ordering part. Have seen lots of vac leaks, but really have NEVER had to replace a brake booster.

Any tips where to connect the smoker/block? No experience on V8. Don't even know yet where lines run.
Ideally, like to take MAF off (needs to be blocked off anyways) and fit my cone adapter in to pressurize the system.
Tried to smoke the car; removed the hoses from the 2 MAFS. Plugged one (brake cleaner can fit nicely), used my 'cone' in the other. But when pressurizing/smoking, the 'hockey puck' (not sure how it is called on the Treg) PCV thing leaked and I did not immediately see an easy way to remove it and plug the lines.

But in the process of checking lines found that a large vac line with barbed end had pulled out of a hard line that had cracked.

Fixed the crack first by wrapping electrical tape around.
Then slipped a hose clamp over the tape, put some black RTV on the barbed side and assembled, tightened hose clamp and let dry/harden.

Brakes working, no codes.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Vacuum Lines. It is almost always the vacuum lines.

PS: Glad you found the leak.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Tried to smoke the car; removed the hoses from the 2 MAFS. Plugged one (brake cleaner can fit nicely), used my 'cone' in the other. But when pressurizing/smoking, the 'hockey puck' (not sure how it is called on the Treg) PCV thing leaked and I did not immediately see an easy way to remove it and plug the lines.

But in the process of checking lines found that a large vac line with barbed end had pulled out of a hard line that had cracked.

Fixed the crack first by wrapping electrical tape around.
Then slipped a hose clamp over the tape, put some black RTV on the barbed side and assembled, tightened hose clamp and let dry/harden.

Brakes working, no codes.

Awesome! I had gone around my 04 preventatively putting tiny zip ties around the ends of most of the vac lines I could reasonably reach, to keep the lines lasting longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts