Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all touareg lovers.
i got my 05 V8 for 4 years now and my headlights have been going more and more hazy and yellow but i did not want to do it in the way as most of the guys do, polishing and buffing it out it just waste of time as they will become yellow again very soon.
probably most of you know that there is factory protecting film coating on the headlights but eventually it fails, especially if the car is parked outside in the sun. the biggest problem is the suns UV rays and oxygen,
here is the step by step guide how i restored my headlights, and i think its the best and most long term protection.
step 1 : remove headlights
step 2 : prepare sandpapers 400, 600, 1000. 1500. 2000. and 2500 grit
step 3 : you will need a hose or a bucket of water
step 4 : start sanding with 400 grit sandpaper, always keep the surface wet. this is the most important step as you will need to remove all the old yellow film and stone chips and every scratch that needs to be removed. remember that 400 grit removes everything tat needs to be removed and other grit sandpapers are only used to make surface more and more smooth so it will be possible to spray the clear coat on them.
step 5 : as you increase the grit, you have to remember that if you have not removed all the unwanted stuff from your headlights with 400 grit 600 grit will not do the job. only reason you will use 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 is that you will need to make it as smooth as possible. as i said earlier you need to keep surface wet all the time, dont forget to do all the surfaces evenly with all grits you use.
step 6 : when done with sanding rinse it with water and wash off all the remaining dust from the surface of the headlights and let it dry throughout for at list 4-5 hours.
step 7 : before spaying clear coat use rubbing alcohol to remove any unwanted contamination from the headlight surface.
step 8 : choose the clear coat that will protect from UV rays and it will be as transparent as possible, you can also add some color to it if you want to. like little bit of black or blue or violet to have more effective looks,
i asked my friend to spray the clear cot for my as he is a professional and he knows how to do it in the best way, we used ceramic clear coat and little bit of violet paint to make it look fresh. color is hardly noticeable.
after spraying 2-3 layers of clear coat you may have a little bit of ''orange peel'' and you have to use 3000 grit Trizak and than buff it out with a polishing machine :)
in my case i did not need it as my friend dose have some magic hands :) he is one of the best car painters here in Tbilisi. Georgia.
if you will have any questions ill be happy to help

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Amazing job!!!!!!! I'm doing the same and can't really achieve the same results. I got the same looking light after I sanded it with 2000 grit (by the way I'm using the same sandpaper), however everything becoming hazed after applying clear coat...
I will post the pictures tomorrow, may be you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about sanding i can recommend not to do circular motion, do only horizontal or vertical motion, and for the final sanding finish with horizontal motion as it will help the clear coat to level itself evenly,
when you will wash them after sanding and it will be wet you have to have almost perfectly clear headlights, as if they are already done, as they get dry its lightly hazy,
as soon as you will clear coat them they have to be as clear as with water, even better, but if they are becoming hazed its something to do with the clear coat, its reacting to plastic probably.

·
Registered
61 Posts
this is how it looks like after applying clear coat

And it looked exactly like yours after 2500 grit

Will try to sand the clear coat with 3000 grit and see if it will help. If not, I'll just buy different clear coat.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is how it looks like after applying clear coat

And it looked exactly like yours after 2500 grit

Will try to sand the clear coat with 3000 grit and see if it will help. If not, I'll just buy different clear coat.
i think its the problem with the clear coat, use a different type

·
Registered
33 Posts
Headlight Restoration

Wow, Nikoloz, those came out GREAT! I hadn't heard of adding a little color to the clear, but it makes sense.
I restored the headlights on my 2005 V8 just last month. I used the Meguiar's kit and they came out almost as well as yours did. The kit has you wet sand from 1000 grit to 3000 grit, but that bothered me, so I wet sanded with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and then the 3000 grit. After that, you use a cloth mop on the end of a drill with a dollop of special polish. Then you finish with a wipe-on UV protectant. I'm very happy with how they turned out.
@ Koren: I agree with Nikoloz. There must be a problem with the clear coat you're using. They make that stuff in satin and flat as well as gloss. I've made that mistake before, as it's not always prominently displayed on the can.
@ Xeno555: Time will tell if I'll have the same experience as yours. But, if mine start to look bad again, I'll just repeat the process. It wasn't that hard to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had good luck with just polishing mine on a fairly regular basis, but for really faded/pitted lights, this DIY is amazing....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you are looking for the proper UV coat for headlamps, I carry it. Simple procedure. I offer complete instructions and enough UV for 2 headlights and a little more incase of a screw up. Proper UV must be used. Mine is specifically use for OEM automotive headlamps. UV for paint is not the same thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What's the ideal brand and type of clear coat to use. I'm positive that nobody is going to recommend the generic Dupli-color stuff from autozone. I have a high quality paint store near me(I'd like to buy local) and can have them get whatever I will need. Some of the products like the "violete" product looks like something I won't just stumble upon so if anyone can throw out some products I need, I'm not super concerned about cost because I doubt this stuff will eat me alive in the quantities I need.
Thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
What's the ideal brand and type of clear coat to use. I'm positive that nobody is going to recommend the generic Dupli-color stuff from autozone. I have a high quality paint store near me(I'd like to buy local) and can have them get whatever I will need. Some of the products like the "violete" product looks like something I won't just stumble upon so if anyone can throw out some products I need, I'm not super concerned about cost because I doubt this stuff will eat me alive in the quantities I need.
Thanks!
Do me a favor, try the scratch X after wet sanding you'll be very surprised on how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Off the shelf headlamp restore kits are typically not long lived. Like I said I have tons of the OEM UV coat used in headlight manufacturing. I have 2 really good colleagues in the business, one is an automotive headlight expert the other is a manufacture expert, coating expert. I have the UV coat used for AL lighting, Bosch, Hella and Stanley.

So if you want the real deal let me know? It's not expensive either. around $35 for a vile to do a pair of headlights twice. Just offering, it's not like I make tons of money on this but I have a lot leftover that needs a home.

Here is my audi allroad after doing both lamps that were destroyed by previous owner trying to use a 3M kit.

Takes about 20-30 min per lamp depending on damage and how much bad area you have to remove. Start with around 400 and move to 1500 wet sand. Wipe on UV coat, have a hair dryer there as it is self leveling but may need a little heat. Best to be done in 70F+ ambient temps. Then you place the car in the sun for an hour for curing. Done. To this day, if not properly, it will last for years to come. Kits from store don't last. Waxing headlamp also does not last. These are all bandaid fixes.

You are more than welcome to send your lamps to me as well and I can do it for you. ;) Just trying to help as seeing at night is a nice thing and safety issue if you cant.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My headlight restore isnt coming out like this, When I sand it still looks foggy. its better, but not as clear as new. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My headlight restore isnt coming out like this, When I sand it still looks foggy. its better, but not as clear as new. Anyone have any suggestions?
hmmm.. off course after sanding they will look foggy, it needs clear coat to make it same as mine are, please read all steps and you will see what you need to do to have same results. good luck

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
hmmm.. off course after sanding they will look foggy, it needs clear coat to make it same as mine are, please read all steps and you will see what you need to do to have same results. good luck
LOL. Yeah, after sanding it will be foggy. You need to sand down to 1500 grit WET SAND. After it is thoroughly sanded and there is no more yellow residue coming off and large scratched removed, then you use UV coat. The UV coat fills in remaining scratches and creates a UV layer or really another lens.

·
Registered
730 Posts
LOL. Yeah, after sanding it will be foggy. You need to sand down to 1500 grit WET SAND. After it is thoroughly sanded and there is no more yellow residue coming off and large scratched removed, then you use UV coat. The UV coat fills in remaining scratches and creates a UV layer or really another lens.
Jason,

Glad you chimed in... I have to do our '05 A6 again, after 5 years it's getting hazy. Think I'll do the '04 allroad at the same time...did it 3 years ago and it's just starting to go. I used the kit UV stuff last time around; this time I'll get the right stuff from you.

Appreciate your helping out fellow forum members with good UV stuff. I think most people just sand and don't treat, then have to do it again soon thereafter...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts