Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a non mechanic version on how to change the fuel pumps and also insight on some of the fuel systems major components.

DEALER WANTED 2500 TO DO THIS JOB. I SAID F YOU PAY ME:cool::cool::cool::cool:.....

TOOLS NEEDED

HAMMER, FLAT HEAD, SWIVEL ADAPTER FOR BACK SEAT BRACKET BOLTS, 10M TRIPLE SQUARE BIT (I USED A MALE 8MM HEX BIT BUT BE VERY CAREFUL IT CAN STRIP BOLT), 10MM SOCKET, NICE LED HEAD LAMP OR GOOD LIGHTING.

PARTS

2 FUEL PUMPS FOR $168 EACH PASS/DRIVER- ONLINE
1 FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY $158-ONLINE

TIME

1HR 5MIN. (IN MY DRIVEWAY @NIGHT WHILE RAINING)..I KNOW I NEED AN AWARD OR SOMETHING

step 1. pull tab on rear seats and pop up, then flip forward or towards the front.

step 2. cut carpet, there is a pre cut hole partially present from stock.

step 3. remove 4 10M triple square head bolts on each seat belt bracket(2)

step 4. remove 4 10mm nuts from aluminum lids (2) set lids aside.

step 5. vacuum any dirt and debris around area under lids.

step 6. remove electric plug, and fuel hoses (on both driver and passenger sides) and tuck to the side and out of the way, also keeps rags on deck for gas spillage(use clamp tool to remove fuel line or have strong fingers lol)

step 7. use flat head and hammer to tap brass ring loose. set aside.

step 8. DRIVERS SIDE: pull up fuel filter assembly 3 inches or so and disconnect 2 electrical plugs, let drop in tank, didnt harm anything. this will give you room to pull assembly up more.

step 8A. then remove 2 fuel line from the bottom of the fuel filter assembly. dont worry about mixing up the line because they are two different diameters. leave FF assembly set on top because next step needs to be dont in order to free additional line coming from FFA(fuel filter assembly).

step 9. PASSENGER SIDE: pull up fuel regulator enough to disconnect elec. wires and then remove 2 fuel lines from bottom of regulator. regulator should freely come out, set aside. FUEL TANK RUBBER SEAL(WHICH SEALS FFA/REGULATOR AND TANK) NEEDS TO BE KEPT AS IT CAN BE USED AGAIN.

step 9A. disconnect fuel lines inside of tank, one of which is comes from fuel FFA.

step 10. disconnect fuel lines inside of DRIVERS SIDE TANK, one of which comes from the passenger side fuel pump. FUEL TANK RUBBER SEAL(WHICH SEALS FFA/REGULATOR AND TANK) NEEDS TO BE KEPT AS IT CAN BE USED AGAIN.

step 11. unclip a black hose from top of fuel pump (BOTH DRIVER AND PASS. HAVE THIS HOSE WITH CLIP, WHICH ARE VERY EASY TO UNCLIP.

step 12. man grip the top of pump and turn left 1/4 way til pump releases and remove, BE CAREFUL GAS WILL SPILL FROM PUMPS.

you will use reverse operation to install new pumps. ONLY THING I WILL ADD HERE IS THAT THE RUBBER TANK SEAL NEED TO BE PLACED BEFORE YOU SET FFA/REG. BACK INTO HOLE, AGAIN RUBBER SEAL NEED TO BE SEATED FLUSH AROUND OPENING OF TANK HOLE. THIS CAN BE TRICKY AS YOU HAVE TO HOLD FFA/REG. UP ABOVE TANK HOLE AS YOUR ATTEMPTING TO PLACE TANK SEAL

if you are also installing new FFA then apply as needed. KEEP IN MIND THAT FFA CAN BE OPENED WITH 6 STAR BIT TO CHANGE FILTER INSERT ONLY ($40) VS. ($158 ) FOR NEW FFA FROM EBAY.

** PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU DECIDE TO OPEN FFA, THERE IS A RUBBER O RING THAT MUST BE LUBED WITH GAS AND FIT AROUND UPPER PART OF FFA TO PROPERLY PUT BACK TOGETHER. MAKE TRIPLE SURE THAT FFA IS PROPERLY SEALED, ANY LEAKS FROM FFA WILL IN FACT CAUSE ENGINE TO NOT START.

ALSO NOTE THAT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU F THIS UP BECAUSE IT TOOK ME AN HOUR, CONSIDERING I CLEAN CARPETS FOR A LIVING LOL.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Thank you, good write up, In fact im waiting Spring to get a bit warm outside and going to change fuel filter element in FFA, I read almost all threads and hope it will go smoothly:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
if you are also installing new FFA then apply as needed. KEEP IN MIND THAT FFA CAN BE OPENED WITH 6 STAR BIT TO CHANGE FILTER INSERT ONLY ($40) VS. ($158 ) FOR NEW FFA FROM EBAY.
I have looked all up and down for the fuel filter element without the plastic flange and can not find one, please put a link up for all of us to this ebay page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
How about editing your signature with your year/vehicle/engine type?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just a heads up that the seat belt anchor bolts have blue thread locker on them. If you do this in the summer it should be soft enough to remove the bolts without too much effort however in the winter you may need to apply a little heat to soften the thread locker. Now another thing to be aware of is that if you have air suspension the air hoses run under the seat back just behind those brackets. Applying heat to those bolts may melt the hoses. You shouldn't have to ask how I know this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
261 Posts
your one lazy SOB... but in the name of good karma here you go..... IT DOES NOT COME WITH O RING SO SAVE YOUR OLD ONE BECAUSE IT CAN BE REUSED, OR BUY A NEW FFA

Fuel Filter Insert for 2004 to 2006 VW Touareg V6 V8 Audi Q7 Others | eBay
No I am not lazy, i did find that listing previously. Nowhere in the eBay listing does it state the filter is for gasoline engines. Take into account that filter appears slightly different in the photo than the filter in the replacement video and the listing stated it's for v6 and v8 engines which are available as diesels in Europe I just chalked it up to a miss listing as so many other ebay listings are.

·
Registered
261 Posts
IF ANYBODY FINDS THIS DIY HELPFUL PLEASE DONATE FOR MY NEXT PROJECT....EVEN 1 BUCK, YIN , RUBY, EURO, OR PESO! LOL

http://gofundme.com/dpkevez8
Dude the temp sensor is like $30 and it's under the intake tube, it took me 20 min to replace. If you release the pressure from your cooling system then put the cap back on you won't even loose any coolant. USE A NEW O-RING AND CLIP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude the temp sensor is like $30 and it's under the intake tube, it took me 20 min to replace. If you release the pressure from your cooling system then put the cap back on you won't even loose any coolant. USE A NEW O-RING AND CLIP.

i wish it was that easy.... the sensor im talking about sits behind the thermostat, behind the water pump, and i have to tke the time belt off too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
When was your timing belt last changed?

If it's more than, say, three years old then given what you are doing I'd very seriously consider replacing it along with the tensioners, water pump and thermostat.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
When was your timing belt last changed?

If it's more than, say, three years old then given what you are doing I'd very seriously consider replacing it along with the tensioners, water pump and thermostat.
Jesus Crist! Noooby i have not seen those words written by you for such a long time now. :) :) :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
i wish it was that easy.... the sensor im talking about sits behind the thermostat, behind the water pump, and i have to tke the time belt off too.
If we are talking anbout the AXQ engine, (04-06 v8 touareg)There is no coolant temp sensor behind the water pump there is a thermostat behind the timing belt. You can cheat it without taking the timing belt completely off but you have to know what you are doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If we are talking anbout the AXQ engine, (04-06 v8 touareg)There is no coolant temp sensor behind the water pump there is a thermostat behind the timing belt. You can cheat it without taking the timing belt completely off but you have to know what you are doing.

my mistake i meant to say behind timing belt. its been that long since i researched it, too expensive for all the parts. i have not changed time belt in 4 years. Plan was to do time belt, thermostat, sensor, and water pump. Mostly because i see lots of recommendations to do so. like above ^^^ thanks for the tip btw. im am currently getting codes p3081 and p2181 with cel on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
this is a non mechanic version on how to change the fuel pumps and also insight on some of the fuel systems major components.

2 FUEL PUMPS FOR $168 EACH PASS/DRIVER- ONLINE
1 FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY $158-ONLINE
Where did you find genuine fuel pump for $168???
Or is it not original?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts