Club Touareg Forum banner

What brand rotors do you use?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,955 Posts
Unless you're trying to get a "safety", I don't see why you're throwing parts at it.
The wear indicators will let you know when your pads are low according to VW, which still means tons of life.
I'd put it off until spring, but that's just me.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,955 Posts
I need to get a safety inspection. I might just try another shop as I feel like they are not unsafe and it’s a waste of money doing them this soon. I would put this off for probably 3-4 months otherwise. I am just curious what others think about all this.
That's a different story... sounds like it's not passing due to rotor thickness... the pad thickness is OK based on your reported measurements. What do the rotors measurements look like?

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,955 Posts
Without data, all you have is speculations.
There are many factors that contribute to wear\lifespan.
Were OEM pads and rotors used for sure the last time?
If you didn't check that the rotors were replaced last time, what does it matter what anyone suspects now?

It's simple. Take your caliper\micrometer and measure the rotor thickness. If it's below spec, it needs replacing.
This is regardless of time\mileage or whatever since last service.
  • You could've ended up with el chepo parts without knowing.
  • You could've has aftermarket, lower quality parts installed.
  • Your vehicle might've sat more unused, causing components to rust\stick\wear at accelerated rates since last service
Do you have your records from the last service listing exactly what parts were used?
Does it match what's stamped on your existing parts?

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,955 Posts
Fronts do most of the braking on a vehicle... that's why they are always bigger, stronger, etc....
And were both front and rear done using the same brands\kinds of rotors\pads?

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,955 Posts
Do you realize that you are not discussing specific components? You're just mentioning brands.
If I say a Ford is more durable than a Chevy but leave out the details, I could be saying that an F350 is much more stout than a Spark.

Almost all manufacturers offer multiple compounds (component types) to choose from.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,955 Posts
I won't give you my input. I do my own wrenching, and as such, I bought the cheapest junk I could find to test out value\performance ratio.
You sound like someone who pays others to wrench and who expects to get 75k out of them because that's how long the others lasted.... so replace the ones that you liked with the EXACT same brand\spec if you want similar results.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,955 Posts
I'm not portraying anything......I'm making observations.
You said some shop did the work. If you didn't verify\confirm what parts they used, you can't know that they used OEM parts. They just "said" they did. If they did use the same parts, how and why would they have worn out faster and with lighter use?

If you want to know what I used, here.... the cheapest possible parts that I could find!
Like I said, I did the work myself, so I know what I put in there and how they looked\felt, etc.
I'm also pretty much the only person who drives this vehicle, so I have full visibility on how they perform, last, etc.

As per above statement, I am doing this because I can, and because I want to gauge first hand the difference between $300 parts and $1200+ parts (for my use pattern)

PARTS ORDERED
Front and Rear PREMIUM OE Brake Kit
x 4 PREMIUM OE Rotors
x 4 Sets CARBON CERAMIC Brake Pads
For
2014 Volkswagen Touareg All
330mm (12.99") Diameter Front Rotor
Subtotal:
$311.98

Front and Rear PREMIUM OE Brake Kit
x 4 PREMIUM OE Rotors
x 4 Sets CARBON CERAMIC Brake Pads