Club Touareg Forum banner

What brand rotors do you use?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Touareg v6 TDI R-Line
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who’s got the best how to do 2015 Touareg brake rotors and pads? I am looking to try this on my T-reg for the first time and I want to probably stay as close to OEM or better. Any recommendations on parts I should get to do this? Any particular rotor or pads y’all could recommend?What other parts or supplies will I need to do a pro job of the brakes?
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Automotive parking light

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used Powerstop Z23 Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic brake pads front and rear. They leave very little dust on the wheels and they stop great and have good initial bite. I like them so much I just bought a set for for our 2015 Q5.

Reactions: C-ya

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't mess up the parking brake when doing the rear discs.
I hear about that part. Do you know of any full rotor and pads changing video or step by step written instructions?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Powerstop Z23 Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic brake pads front and rear. They leave very little dust on the wheels and they stop great and have good initial bite. I like them so much I just bought a set for for our 2015 Q5.
can you use carbon fibre ceramic on oem rotors? I didn’t know you could mix and match like that...?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Never heard that. These pads are night and day compared to the OEM pads.

Reactions: Bracus

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
I used OEM pads/hardware and Zimmerman Coat Z rotors. Also installed S/S braided brake lines and flushed a refilled with Brembo brake fluid.
Awesome stopping power and low dust.

• Love
Reactions: Golf Wang

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used OEM pads/hardware and Zimmerman Coat Z rotors. Also installed S/S braided brake lines and flushed a refilled with Brembo brake fluid.
Awesome stopping power and low dust.
Why have I always thought that Brembo or Pagid were the best? Are there many different types of Brembo rotors for the Touareg and would a certain kind of Brembo be the best? I am going to look into the zimmerman coat z rotors that you mentioned.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you replacing them because they need to be replaced, because you're not happy with their performance\longevity\dust, etc?
I was told by a shop that they didn’t pass inspection because of a lip of rust on the inside of the front rotors. I know the shop is just nit picking probably and trying to make work off me. My brakes actually wouldn’t be addressed until another few months as my front pads are at 4 and the rear pads are at 5. What bs eh? I was going to use that shop for other stuff until they tried to do that to me. In my honest opinion the brakes are totally safe and good for another few months until I would naturally replace them all at same time.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Unless you're trying to get a "safety", I don't see why you're throwing parts at it.
The wear indicators will let you know when your pads are low according to VW, which still means tons of life.
I'd put it off until spring, but that's just me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you're trying to get a "safety", I don't see why you're throwing parts at it.
The wear indicators will let you know when your pads are low according to VW, which still means tons of life.
I'd put it off until spring, but that's just me.
I need to get a safety inspection. I might just try another shop as I feel like they are not unsafe and it’s a waste of money doing them this soon. I would put this off for probably 3-4 months otherwise. I am just curious what others think about all this.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
I need to get a safety inspection. I might just try another shop as I feel like they are not unsafe and it’s a waste of money doing them this soon. I would put this off for probably 3-4 months otherwise. I am just curious what others think about all this.
That's a different story... sounds like it's not passing due to rotor thickness... the pad thickness is OK based on your reported measurements. What do the rotors measurements look like?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a different story... sounds like it's not passing due to rotor thickness... the pad thickness is OK based on your reported measurements. What do the rotors measurements look like?
It doesn’t even say rotor thickness. It just says due to lip of rust on the inside of front rotors.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And how would a lip form? It would form if material from the rotor thickness would wear off..... no? :unsure:
okay so brakes have lasted 75,000km and 3 years the first time. I’m at 134,000 now. and I’ve been easier on them and i’m about at the 3 year mark on this second OEM set now. The front pads are at 4 and the rear pads are at 5. I wouldn’t expect the rotors would be gone or rusted before the pads are gone. Does anyone else start to question if that last shop reused the old rotors and still charged me for new ones?

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Without data, all you have is speculations.
There are many factors that contribute to wear\lifespan.
Were OEM pads and rotors used for sure the last time?
If you didn't check that the rotors were replaced last time, what does it matter what anyone suspects now?

It's simple. Take your caliper\micrometer and measure the rotor thickness. If it's below spec, it needs replacing.
This is regardless of time\mileage or whatever since last service.
  • You could've ended up with el chepo parts without knowing.
  • You could've has aftermarket, lower quality parts installed.
  • Your vehicle might've sat more unused, causing components to rust\stick\wear at accelerated rates since last service
Do you have your records from the last service listing exactly what parts were used?
Does it match what's stamped on your existing parts?

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Execline
103 Posts
Agree with putting calipers on them to measure actual thickness. If they're still above minimum spec, you could have a shop turn them to get rid of the lip and pass your safety inspection and prolong replacement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know each brand probably has different tiers of quality for rotors but what’s the main difference between zimmerman and OEM or Brembo rotors?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts