Club Touareg Forum banner

DIY Brake Light Removal with Photos

15K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  noobytoogy 
#1 ·
DIY: Replace brake light bulb with photos

First thing first. I take no responsibility should you break anything by following this DIY. This is for information ONLY. You agree to take full responsibility of your action.

I'm not sure if taking out the brake light is same for all Touareg, this DIY is of my 2010 Touareg TDI V6 3.0L (Canada).

The photos aren't as sharp as I would want them to be because it was -27°C outside the garage at home... burrr...

Anyway here it goes.

I got the information on how to remove the brake light on this forum when I first needed to replace the brake light last summer (first burn out. same spot this second time too) However, since I am not mechanically inclined, it was nerve racking trying to pull out the assembly when I read numerous warnings about "breaking the tap on the assembly which turn a $1 bulb replacement to $$$ of assembly replacement. Hopefully these photos can give you a better understanding of what you are getting yourself into.

Pictured is the passenger side brake light.

1. Remove the plastic circle cover on the brake light. A small flat screwdriver will do the trick. (Sorry didn't take photos of this step)

2. Use a T20 size bit to unscrew the 2 screws. Shown in cyan arrows.

3. The brake light is now loose but still not coming out because of the stubby thingy (red arrow) This is where the easy to break part on the brake light assembly.

4. I have no special tool to pull the brake light out. So I used a nylon strap (my friend used a tow strap which worked the same). I stuffed it in the gap like as shown with the white line. Then pull on the strap and the other side at the same time. It is a b@#$h to pull out but just pull straight backward. It will pop out. Also be careful not to pull it too far out because you don't want to break the wire connector :)

5. Now you should have the brake light out.

6. There are 4 plastic taps locking the back cover onto the brake light indicated by the orange arrows.
What worked for me to easily undo the taps is by using a flat head screwdriver (mine was about 5mm wide. Insert the screwdriver underneath the tap and gently rotate it so to spread the two plastic apart until enough so you can pop one out. DON'T pull the taps as you can easily break them. Be gentle. Also I numbered the order worked best for me to undo the taps.

7. Once the cover's off, replace the bulb.

Tonight, somehow I managed to put in the bulb by the wrong side and the wrong filament was lit. (I actually did this 3 times today... Bulb burned out morning drive to work. Replaced it after work at the parkade. Got home and the bulb fell out?! So did it again but didn't realize the bulb was not put in correctly so I had to do it again LOL... it was -27°C.) Anyway...

8. After you're done just snap the cover back on. I followed the order in reverse and the rest of the chore.

I tested the light using the park light function (the signal stalk).

The last photo just to show you the part on the Touareg that locks onto the brake light.

I hope this is helpful and don't break anything!

Now if someone can do the same for headlight removal specifically for a 2010...that'd be sweeeeeeeet =D

See less See more
#3 ·
Use a wooden paint mixer to pry it off and you won't damage the paint. If the headlight removal is the same as a T2 there are plenty of write ups on that and myriads more on the T1s

siberian

#7 ·
#8 ·
Toureg Brake Light Removal

OMG I can't believe how difficult this was. I tried for 30 mins with my fingernails. Ouch. The trick is the nylon strap mentioned above. I used the ratcheting nylon strap you can get at any hardware store. Once the screws are off, slide the strap between the body and the taillight, and work it to the horizontal center. I used a screwdriver to help it along the inside where the screws are.

Attachments

#9 ·
Well done! More pix in my link too.

#10 ·
Hard to believe, but a toilet plunger works as well (unused preferably). Loosen the fasteners, get a good suction and pull. I was looking for the technique for removing a new bug taillight, and the plunger was one method recommended. It worked. I usually use the strap method on the Touareg, but tried the plunger and it worked too.

#12 ·
I've amended my How-poo . . . sorry, How-to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.