Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 140k miles and progressively increasing oil-leaks and smoke under the hood - we can't put it off any longer. Time to R&R the Tandem and clean out the Intake Manifolds. This will be photo thread that perhaps can add value for others attempting this work based onto most excellent DIY already posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
After 140k miles and progressively increasing oil-leaks and smoke under the hood - we can't put it off any longer. Time to R&R the Tandem and clean out the Intake Manifolds. This will be photo thread that perhaps can add value for others attempting this work based onto most excellent DIY already posted.

For gods sake man while all that is apart have a look at your cams.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you manage to do the tandem pumps in situ please post a detailed DIY. Dad's V10 also needs doing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes please post some detail on the tandem pump R&R. I have a new pump sitting here but haven't had the time to jump into the project yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you manage to do the tandem pumps in situ please post a detailed DIY. Dad's V10 also needs doing.
I believe there is an insitu R&R post around here somewhere. I have done it. not fun though. I found that the reason mine was leaking was that one of the bolts was loose due to stripped treads in the head (Aluminum). Just about lost it. I was able to re-tap to a standard size and slightly drill out the bolt hole in the tandem pump to get it to work and mount nice and snug. I can safely say that doing this in place is doable, but by far the worst R&R I've ever done. time estimate is around 8 hours de-install, 6 hours screwing around with the tap, 8 hours reinstall.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I believe there is an insitu R&R post around here somewhere. I have done it. not fun though. I found that the reason mine was leaking was that one of the bolts was loose due to stripped treads in the head (Aluminum). Just about lost it. I was able to re-tap to a standard size and slightly drill out the bolt hole in the tandem pump to get it to work and mount nice and snug. I can safely say that doing this in place is doable, but by far the worst R&R I've ever done. time estimate is around 8 hours de-install, 6 hours screwing around with the tap, 8 hours reinstall.
Holy smokes :(

Sent from my Hisense C20 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drag - what exactly would I be checking on the cams? Are you advocating pulling the covers, and then pulling cam-caps to visually inspect something?

Thank you to all who posted those helpful links. And yes I will do my best to take pics and come up with some sort of narrative. I've worked on a lot of Audi products over the years but for reasons I can't quite express this one 'feels' like it is going to be a real bear.

Tonight I'm going after the fuel filter assembly and spending a few hours to get it out I suspect.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Drag - what exactly would I be checking on the cams? Are you advocating pulling the covers, and then pulling cam-caps to visually inspect something?

Thank you to all who posted those helpful links. And yes I will do my best to take pics and come up with some sort of narrative. I've worked on a lot of Audi products over the years but for reasons I can't quite express this one 'feels' like it is going to be a real bear.

Tonight I'm going after the fuel filter assembly and spending a few hours to get it out I suspect.

Mr Rally
I am advocating just lifting at least 1 rocker cover and having a look at the wear on your cam lobe tips.
Once the cover is lifted rotate the engine and view the lobes for wear that is an all to common problem on all PD engines covering the 4cyls, 5 cyls and the V10.
No other parts really need to be removed just some good eyes and look for burrs on the edge of the lobe or the lack of a complete chamfer around the edge od the lobe tip.
This will indicate lobe wear issue.
Photo shows a lobe and how much wear it has note the uneven chamfer on the tip of the lobe.

regards
Drag

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With heavy heart and bruised ego, I think I am going to abort from this. I used to be more patient when it came to working on my toys, but for some reason this machine is just vexing me. I rarely get to use that word, but it is very appropriate now.

As I started to go after the EGR and heat-exchanger bit that is aft of the oil-filler I paid closer attention to exactly how tight it will be behind those heads. And feeling around blind and with mirrors by the tandem I think I will reverse from where I am an button it back up.

Sadly - I can predict that I lack the calm demeanor that would ultimately be needed on it and think I am going to bail. I shudder to think at the cost of paying someone to go after this repair as it's probably going to be at-least a $2500 chore but given how little this machine has cost me over the years in maintenance I guess I really can't complain.

Time to search out a V10 expert in Houston area I guess.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
With heavy heart and bruised ego, I think I am going to abort from this. I used to be more patient when it came to working on my toys, but for some reason this machine is just vexing me. I rarely get to use that word, but it is very appropriate now.

As I started to go after the EGR and heat-exchanger bit that is aft of the oil-filler I paid closer attention to exactly how tight it will be behind those heads. And feeling around blind and with mirrors by the tandem I think I will reverse from where I am an button it back up.

Sadly - I can predict that I lack the calm demeanor that would ultimately be needed on it and think I am going to bail. I shudder to think at the cost of paying someone to go after this repair as it's probably going to be at-least a $2500 chore but given how little this machine has cost me over the years in maintenance I guess I really can't complain.

Time to search out a V10 expert in Houston area I guess.

A wise move by the sound of it but I can tell you that while the pump can be done it is and absolute pain and a heart breaker.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is all repaired. Turns out there is a VERY capable independent German repair shop about 1,000yrds behind the gym where I work out in an industrial park in Humble, TX.

Total cost was $2,500 parts AND labor - for which they:
a. R&R'd the Pass side tandem pump
b. Cleaned the TB's and PCVs
c. R&R'd the various vac soft and hard lines that were compromised
d. Did an oil change with the good synth stuff
e. Changed out my malfunctioning turn signal stalk assembly - and found then installed a new replacement

Turn around time was about 3 days once they brought it inside to really work on it and they were consulate professionals. They were not gun-shy when my story began with "I started to do this and realized I was over my head".

So consider this an endorsement for Autobahn Werke in Humble, TX. Clean, quick, professional and I feel the overall value is good even if the billing invoice makes me cringe at paying full list-price on the parts. The Turn-signal part of my bill was roughly $550 of the total.

FYI - they didn't do a full drop on the engine, they did a strastegic-detach and tilt to gain the room they needed. I am VERY VERY GLAD that I had them deal with this.

No more smoking Touareg!

·
Registered
413 Posts
they did a strategic-detach and tilt to gain the room they needed.
Good to know. I did the same thing when I changed my O2 sensors and was able to get to the RH sensor from the top going past the tandem pump. I can see how that would help a lot in gaining access to the pump.

If you loosen the front cross member you will need the alignment pins to get it back in the correct spot when you tighten it back up. Even then your alignment will almost certainly be off a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts