Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Nokian snow tires at local Discount Tire store and when I asked refused to torque the tire bolts at 130lb. I was told that VW states 120lb for my 2014 Lux Touareg. Now I am forced to use the VW dealer to change back to the summer wheels.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Have you talked to the guys at Imola Motorsport (494 and 55)? Don't use the dealer.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Bought my Nokian snow tires at local Discount Tire store and when I asked refused to torque the tire bolts at 130lb. I was told that VW states 120lb for my 2014 Lux Touareg. Now I am forced to use the VW dealer to change back to the summer wheels.
I never trust the monkey lads to apply the correct torque or tire pressure...so I *always* check both.

Get a good tire pressure gauge, a good torque wrench and a 19mm deep impact socket and you'll be good to go.

BTW, if they're not using torque sticks and then checking the torque values by hand (with a good torque wrench), don't go back!

Reactions: alfissimo

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's interesting. I love my local Discount Tire shop. Granted I have never asked them to torque my wheels to a specific number, but they have done a wonderful job so far.

I would suggest Imola Motorport or EuroTech up in New Brighton.

Also, not sure if either of you have heard of MNVW/MN Volkswagen yet, but you should check them out. Look them up on Facebook. We do have our season opening car meet on April 23rd.

a quick note about the group, we have recently changed over to a paid membership. it's $50/yr. With that you get some pretty good discounts at our Sponsors and access to members only meets and events that we do through out the year. We have partnered with a couple of the dealers in the Twin Cities. Along with a host of others. Again I suggest you look us up on Facebook for all the details.

Good Luck with your wheels. I hope you find someone to help you.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Why anyone would trust a minimum wage tire monkey to properly torque their lugs and not damage anything is beyond me. Harbor freight has a torque wrench that often goes on sale for $10. That plus a little time insures my wheels wont fall off, the bolts and hubs don't get stripped, and everything is centered properly so no shake issues with any vehicle. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just got tires at Paramount in Hastings, MN and I personally watched them take a torque wrench to tighten the wheels. I was shocked.

·
Registered
737 Posts
why not just show the info in your owners manual, that would end the discussion.
You're making an assumption about reading skills on the part of the monkeylad. :)

I've seen enough stupid things done, that I have stopped assuming the most basic of skills...

...and I've stopped going to places where I can't have a conversation with the mechanic...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts