Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needed to replace my brakes on a 2006 Touareg V6TDI as the warning light is showing. It is showing around 180,000kms and has already had them changed at around 90,000kms.
I understand there are several pad types that may fit. The car has 17" wheels. My compliance plate shows the PR # as front 1LC and rear 1KF. Can anyone give me some part numbers for these parts as it is a little confusing being sure I get the correct ones. I need discs, pads and wear indicators.
Has anyone any recommendations where they may be available at a good price in Australia or overseas? Is the use of drilled discs worthwhile? What about ceramic pads? My car is always filthy with pad dust. USA suppliers do not list this model as they were never available in that market. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I tried slotted and drilled rotors on a car once. I never noticed a difference other than people pointing at the front wheels and saying "Oh, you have slotted/drilled rotors!" LOL!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I am needed to replace my brakes on a 2006 Touareg V6TDI as the warning light is showing. It is showing around 180,000kms and has already had them changed at around 90,000kms.
I understand there are several pad types that may fit. The car has 17" wheels. My compliance plate shows the PR # as front 1LC and rear 1KF. Can anyone give me some part numbers for these parts as it is a little confusing being sure I get the correct ones. I need discs, pads and wear indicators.
Has anyone any recommendations where they may be available at a good price in Australia or overseas? Is the use of drilled discs worthwhile? What about ceramic pads? My car is always filthy with pad dust. USA suppliers do not list this model as they were never available in that market. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
I am going to replace rotors and pads in March too. 172000 km on the clock (no warning icon yet). When swapping for winter wheels the mechanic visually inspected the brakes and said it should be done now. As the first iteration in your search consider the following numbers for PR-1KF type rear brakes*:
7L0 698 451 G, 7L0 907 637 C, 7L8 615 601 C
may be (I emphasize) that's what you need.
Anyway, as for me, when placing an order, first, I am going to contact sales manager by phone and reconfirm (one by one) the positions (in the list) are correct (before I give the green light for processing).
*I can't find 1LC, only 1LB, 1LE, 1LT, 1LU.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Forgot to mention. I know a very-very useful site, where you type in your VIN code and the entire original VW catalogue is available for you, VIN specific!!! So, you immediately jump to correct number and don't waste you time selecting a variant among the all available options. (The address is in Cyrillic letters and the content is in Russian). May be you have some equivalent in English?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Njord .... i think a few people might struggle with Russian but glad you posted .... thanks

on another note if your wear indicators have not come on yet you would be wasting at least 6-10kms of pad life.

In my experience when the warning light came on i had around 6mths or 6-10kms left

The touareg warnings are renowned for coming on really really early

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
on another note if your wear indicators have not come on yet you would be wasting at least 6-10kms of pad life.
In my experience when the warning light came on i had around 6mths
Thanks for a sage tip. I just want to consolidate all tasks into one Termin.
Let's consider it as a part of preventative maintenance schedule/program (as they do in aviation industry) mentioned by Stuart, aka hedditch. http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/tell-me-im-nuts-228618.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am having troubles with the Russian web site. I would love to find that site in English. Njord I notice that you have a R5 TDI. Of course they have different rotors due to stud pattern. Odessa is correct in saying I have plenty of time to arrange a brake replacement as there is plenty of pad left. I will continue my search. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Found more information on VIN numbers. see:www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup
That is not what I meant. :-( You'll be able to get the expandable sketches & part numbers there (all VIN specific) and available offers online, etc. Not just car's package recapitulation.
See more printscreens attached.
Does not help me exactly as it has not got Australian model.

Send me your VIN by PM, I will try for you.

So, today I ordered rotors and pads, all originals, except the rear pads (subs Brembos, VAG wasn't available). Not sure if it is a good practice to mix?

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If I understand "[subs Brembos, VAG wasn't available]" correctly, you've ordered Brembo pads which are made by PAGID, VW OEM.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
They will be made by PAGID who supply VW.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Njord,

Back to your suggestion of me supplying you with my Vin #. It is
WVGZZZ7LZ7D013960

The information I found was not Vin specific. As the 2006 V6 TDI was available in Australia and not USA makes searching more difficult. I have a digital copy of USA Touareg Service Manual but the 1st V6 TDI was 2009 and there could have been changes during that time.
I have also looked at parts.vw.com and filled in the Vin # and it says not found. This site is slightly different than the one I mentioned in an earlier post and shows the parts but not Vin specific. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi Njord,

Back to your suggestion of me supplying you with my Vin #. It is
WVGZZZ7LZ7D013960
Es tut mir unendlich leid :-(
tobac, your VIN is not found. However, there is another option to narrow your search. Please provide following info: year of manufacture (are you sure it is 2006 and not 2007?), type of engine (3 or 4 letters code).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well, tobac. I gave up trying to identify your car. :(
So, what I have done:
Firstly, I opened Original catalog and proceeded straight to PR-1KF and PR-1LC brakes drawings (see attached pictures) and retrieved following info:

Rotors 7L6615301N & 7L6615302N (left and right)
Pads 7L0698151H
Sensors 7L0907637

Rotors 7L8615601C
Pads 7L0698451G
Sensors 7L0907637C

To cross checked above info I found the following VIN
WVGZZZ7LZ7D003002 (it is 7LAAR1 modification, 2007 model year, produced in May 2006, BKS engine 3.0 TDI V6 165 kW) and used it at the "magic" site I mentioned before.
The only discrepancy I noticed (based on that VIN) is the trailing character of pads code string:
7L6698151E & 7L6698451B.

So, with the high level of probability Rotors and Sensors are identified now.
You have to solve pads dilemma only.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the information. However according to my vehicle specification plate the front brakes PR # is 1LE. The rear brakaes are 1KF. I am not sure what changes that makes. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts