Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I've always read is that the lack of air circualtion caused by those 'vented' brake covers is not good for the brakes, or at least won't allow them to cool down enough during heavy use and can potentially be dangerous. You may want to look into changing your brake pads to something less dirty. You can also powdercoat your wheels a nice dark silver or gunmetal color, so at least they won't look dirty. Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vented disc brake covers

I checked with my VW service center regarding these type of covers and they informed me not to use them.The reason is that each wheel has six pistons pushing those brake pads so they need as much air as possible to keep them cool...just keep washing them to keep the brake dust problem under control...Rain X makes a new product to apply to the wheels...I just started using it...I'll see if it helps.......
Ed

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Kleen Wheels

kleen wheels are vented and can be used for normal use.severe duty and race application would not be recommended. The heat generated by brake usage transmitted by the pads to the calipers to the brake fluid would cause a spongy pedal if the fluid (which is hydroscopic) wasold.Fuid has a boiling point and a minimum wet boiling point which could affect the brake performance.VW reccomends changing the fluid every two years regardless of the mileage.I recommend wagner dot 5.1 has a higher dry and wet boiling pt and is compatible with ABS systems. Brake pads when very hot also have a tendency to fade in stopping distances(in severe usage,a lot of hard stops) Marty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.