Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
You have to be realistic and have realistic performance\towing expectations about what you are using, for what purpose.
The V6 had sufficient grunt for light towing, and plenty for moving the "pig" that is the Touareg.
Clearly, if you add a massive wind brake to the existing pig, or another pig that's just as heavy or heavier, your experience will deteriorate.

For weekend\occasional towing of some toys or a TT, it's sufficient and acceptable. If you're doing full time heavy\big loads, then you could definitely use something with +35-50% the TQ. Given the capability and MPGs that it delivers, it is my opinion that it's a very well suited engine for the vehicle that it resides in.....

You need to use the right tool for the right job.... if you need to tow big, get a dually and throw the MPGs out the window.
Fully agree. I just don't get the often narrow minded view that diesel = towing. In fact...it doesn't. It usually means torquey and uber fuel efficient and IMO the V6 TDI is just the best road going diesel of all time. Just because its a diesel doesn't mean its built to be a Peterbuilt.

Reminds me of the opposite view when the V6 hybrid was released and most thought it was the slow eco version...when in fact it was a flat out hot rod.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In my experience my Touareg V10 got better fuel mileage towing than my V6 TDI in either the T2 or T3. This is me actually towing with these vehicles extensively, not internet bullshit.

Personally I did not like the V6 TDI for towing, thought it to be really undesirable. For me the V6 TDI is the ultimate SUV engine...except for towing. Fuel economy towing in anything for the most part sucks...this is from my experience towing in Touaregs, F250/350 6.4 and 6.7 diesels and the latest 6.6 Duramax. Sorry to say it about the V6 TDI, but to me its never been a towing engine, its the ultimate road engine... feel free to flame away.

Well I’m laughing at this as your talking about apples and oranges. Yes I’m sure the V10 will out tow the V6 tdi and it should. But your still driving a midsize suv that weights 5200lbs vs a F250 or GMC 2500 at 8000lbs with like twice the torque. I too have driven and owned a slew of tow vehicles from Tregs, full size suvs, 1/2 ton trucks to 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Actually last fall I just purchased a 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax and yes it will smoke a V6 TDI in every way. But it has 440 hp and like 925 torque. Kind like Mike Tyson and you getting in the ring. You will end up with your penis sticking out that hole on the other side of your body. Lol

Just no way to compare these vehicles. I guess I could compare a Ford F250 to a Peterbilt semi but why would I? For most people coming from a V4 or V6 has to a V6 TDI is a huge improvement. Anything under 6-7k the V6 will pull the piss out of it.

Sorry but your post is next to retarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah..you can follow my several hundred towing threads on here over the past decade. Towed everything from a Jayco 25' camper trailer, several different boats, a 31' camper trailer with the V10 and everything in between. I was towing with these things before most on here even knew what a Touareg was.

Like I said you haven't qualified what you towed. How heavy were the trailers, what was your typical tow distance, was it on the flat or up hill/down hill. And what did you notice about the V10 that made it seem so much better than the V6 (besides the obvious additional 60 odd HP and extra 100 or so extra ft lbs of torque). Was it the torque curve, the response etc...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just don't get the often narrow minded view that diesel = towing. In fact...it doesn't. It usually means torquey and uber fuel efficient and IMO the V6 TDI is just the best road going diesel of all time. Just because its a diesel doesn't mean its built to be a Peterbuilt.

What does anything = towing even mean really?

In general diesels are significantly overbuilt compared to gas equivalents. They have heavier internals due to the detonation (diesel) cycle, and heavier blocks etc... additionally most diesel engines were used in industrial or heavy duty applications, they made more torque and also had over sized radiators making them more suited for towing.

Technically you could take a modern over the road truck and put a WWII era V12 gas engine in it and probably get by ok. BUT, you wouldn't get the fuel economy of a diesel.

The main reason diesels were so popular is fuel efficiency and the cost of fuel. I remember back to somewhere around the mid 2000's when diesel was ALWAYs cheaper than gas in the US. This made diesels an obvious choice. cheaper fuel, better economy etc.. then with turbo diesels better torque and power...

Arguably a VW is not a tow vehicle period. Nor are most pickups. Could you tow full time with a Touareg. Probably. Would the V10 last longer.. probably. Would the transmission hold up beyond 180K with 100% towing use. Possibly not (all autos wear out eventually due to age anyway).

The real question is whether the V6 or V10 are the right all around vehicle for the job. For me the V6 does everything I need it to, it's a little light on power for the 24' cargo trailer I occasionally haul. I wish VW just rated it to a full 10K lbs and had a higher tongue weight... but it is what it is (a swiss army knife of a vehicle) not a dedicated tow vehicle. I'm sure the V10 was better, but prior to buying my '13 I wanted a V10 and after researching them, seeing fuel mileage and the new chassis and interior design, I reconsidered the 'weak' V6 and realized it fit all my needs. the V10 does sound cooler and it is cooler to have a V10. But VW didn't offer them in the US (had they offered the V8 TDI I may have bought one). But really all the V6 needs to get closer to the V10 is a tune or possibly a turbo upgrade. By 2020's standards the V10 isn't really that impressive anymore. The Nissan Titan HD has a 5.0L V8 diesel making about the same power and torque. The V10 isn't that much more fuel efficient than a full size pickup with either 5.0 or 6.6L/6.7L. And it certainly isn't more powerful (stock) than a modern diesel pickup.

So is it really a full time tow vehicle? Are modern pickups even full time tow vehicles? How many people are driving pickups 500K miles like a commercial truck would?

I'd argue the Touaregs in general meet a really nice spot in the market for those that want a diesel every day vehicle that can do some things a pickup can.

Of course this year the big three will all offer 3.0L diesels in their 1/2 ton sized pickups. Some of which tow more than a Touareg. Does this make these not tow worthy because they only have 240-280 Hp and 400 -430 ftlbs torque?

Or is the tow rating on par with a HD pickup from 20 years ago?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just no way to compare these vehicles. I guess I could compare a Ford F250 to a Peterbilt semi but why would I? For most people coming from a V4 or V6 has to a V6 TDI is a huge improvement. Anything under 6-7k the V6 will pull the piss out of it.

What you're getting at is Duty Cycle. A Peterbuilt could tow whatever an F250 tows easily until oil is no longer pumped from the ground or the rubber parts of the semi have all dry rotted from age (whichever comes first). The newest pickups have stupid torque and HP numbers for personal (ie non commercial use). 900 ftlbs in a personal truck seems borderline excessive to me. However if you buy a pickup as a toy, have at it, tune it and get more torques. The big three are in a HP and Torque war to sell more trucks with more bigger better engines with more HPs and Torques. Part of it is fueled by the somewhat new commercial trend in using pickups to haul freight rather than semis.

I think many people would love an in between option in a modern pickup (who hauls 26K lbs with a 3/4 ton [which isn't really a 3/4 ton anymore] regularly enough that they need near 500 HP and 900 ftlbs).

I'm probably weird for saying this but I wish they made a 350-400 Hp option in the 2500 trucks.... a bit better every day economy without giving up too much tow capacity. Then again I would probably buy a truck for personal use and not hauling things around every day. I guess this is why I considered a Dodge Eco Diesel before buying the Toaureg... Touareg checked all the boxes for me that the Eco Diesel does and is more fun to drive the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I also don't want to flame, so I'm not going to single anyone out, but for someone who throws a title around more than they should, you say some really stupid crap sometimes..... do you get high right before you start posting on this forum or what? Controlled compression ignition is NOT the same as detonation..... but let's not hijack another thread.....

·
Registered
299 Posts
I also don't want to flame, so I'm not going to single anyone out, but for someone who throws a title around more than they should, you say some really stupid crap sometimes..... do you get high right before you start posting on this forum or what? Controlled compression ignition is NOT the same as detonation..... but let's not hijack another thread.....

Who are you talking about? I didn’t say that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Controlled compression ignition is NOT the same as detonation..... but let's not hijack another thread.....
Yeah let’s not hijack this thread. You are right today it is controlled compression ignition since there’s what 3-8 injection events per combustion event? But there used to be one. Compression ignition used to be detonation ignition in the early diesel days.

·
Registered
420 Posts
‘04 V10 at 299600k Miles pulled 6klb TT in mixed traffic (avoided tolls but got stuck in a lot of single lane traffic) for 6hrs. Averaged 11.9 mpgs over 1.25 tanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It should be noted that the V6 turbodiesel in question was designed by Audi for use in passenger cars. The fact that it has served well as the only diesel option for Touaregs and Q7s destined for the American market does not change this simple fact.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It should be noted that the V6 turbodiesel in question was designed by Audi for use in passenger cars. The fact that it has served well as the only diesel option for Touaregs and Q7s destined for the American market does not change this simple fact.

I agree. Also look at it this way. Other than the old V10 TDI what midsize suv are you going to find that can tow like the Treg V6 TDI. I can tell you... Notta.
There is no other midsize period. Well except maybe Ford Explorer eco boost. But fuel mileage want touch the TDI. Actually we had a Yukon V8 and honestly I still preferred the TDI. I tow up to 5k with mine and it’s a dream. Can’t compare it to the V10 TDI though as I’ve never driven one. I’ve had several other midsize SUV’s over the years and nothing touches the VW V6 TDI towing ability. I would think maybe a Explorer with the V6 eco boost? All I know of though.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Compression ignition used to be detonation ignition in the early diesel days.
Strongly disagree.... Detonation typically occurs way too early in the cycle, prior to TDC, and it essentially attempts to "reverse" the engine..... which is why it blows up engines really fast if undetected or uncontrolled.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Other than the old V10 TDI what midsize suv are you going to find that can tow like the Treg V6 TDI. I can tell you... Notta.
There is no other midsize period. Well except maybe Ford Explorer eco boost.
There are a few mid-size SUVs that can tow over 7,000 lbs., and a bunch of huge SUVs. The Ford Explorer is not one of them (5,600 lbs). The question is, would you want to own any of them?

It's funny how the 3.0 TDI is not a good tow vehicle for some and an excellent tow vehicle for others. I'm glad I got one of the excellent specimens.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The only ones I can think of are the Durango, and Jeep Cherokee. Maybe some of the more expensive European suppliers have something but not sure. Jeep did have a diesel but I think they removed it due to a multitude of issues plus epa stuff. The Jeep and Dodge V8 gas engines get crap fuel mileage plus have the need for higher rpms to pull a equal load vs a Diesel engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only ones I can think of are the Durango, and Jeep Cherokee.
No thinking required. Click the link. But, yeah, Durango and Grand Cherokee are two of them. I wouldn't want either. Audi, Porsche, MB. Given the limited choices, I might step up to a Land Cruiser. 8,100 lbs. It's a pig though. Gets fuel economy of a TDI towing when it's not towing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
This weekend I had another race in Topeka, so the same route was used as it was in May. A little less wind.
Not sure if the carbon buildup was a problem because I only got about 1.5 mpg better average than last time on the way down.
On the way home I decided I was going to see how much better I could do by controlling the shifts myself. I kept in in 8th as long as I could going up the hills. I would downshift to 7th or 6th once 8th couldn't maintain speed at 2/3 throttle. Water temp stayed steady even with 90°F outside temps. Doing this, fuel economy went up to 12.5 mpg. Back in May, it was 9.8 mpg with slightly more wind.
And so you don't have to go back and look, yes, I have done the pre-fix transmission coding. Next thing would be a tune, but I don't want to screw with warranty.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's funny how the 3.0 TDI is not a good tow vehicle for some and an excellent tow vehicle for others. I'm glad I got one of the excellent specimens.
I think the 3.0 TDI is a great vehicle no matter the tow mileage. I guess it all depends what your benchmark is and what your used to. If you are towing every day get something heavier duty. But if you only tow occasionally it’s pretty decent compared to no tow, or competing options. I’d like to see someone towing the same trailer get 9.5 mpg towing with a gas SUV. I bet it’s be fought to beat 8 mpg with gas.

To me the TDI Touareg is comparable to the first gen Ram 1500 ecodiesel and the Chevy Colorado diesel. Both of which have a similar max tow. If you want a sporty-ish drive most of the time with occasional towing I doubt the Colorado or RAM are a good pick.

If you want a pickup to do pickup things. Maybe an SUV isn’t right.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Doing this, fuel economy went up to 12.5 mpg. Back in May, it was 9.8 mpg with slightly more wind.
Depending on your trailer aerodynamics, I'd say that's good.... considering the weight you're towing.
I get slightly better than you pulling around my parachute that is only 4200 lbs.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
13 Participants
87vr6
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing