Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Did you ever email Ross-tech?

If you want to post a screen shot of the RLS coding page and a scan of the control module I can certainly compare it with mine.
As mentioned, the screen shot above is not of the RLS but of the wiper itself.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Tutti have you ever had your windscreen replaced ? If yes check if you still have the gel pad on the sensor by visual inspection from outside the vehicle. If it looks blurry then you probably have the gel pad in place. If not blurry but clear and you can see the the actually sensors then who ever replaced your windscreen ripped of the gel pad with it which means your sensor is not working properly. The gel pad is apparently used to even spread the refractive light onto the sensors so they pick the light better.

You can even google the rain sensor unit (if you have he part and view images on google so you know what you are looking for

·
Registered
19 Posts
It looks like the gel part isn't on there. I just ordered a new sensor off ebay for $22 shipped and it looks easy to install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is old....Just picked up a 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI. The intermittent wiper setting has the exact same issue as Tutti mentions. Moving the rotary dial when in auto position I get 1 wipe and that's it. Moving it to the next rotary setting, again 1 wipe and nothing more. I also did the coding change in VCDS to disable rain sensor with no change in behavior of the intermittent dial wipe setting. Did anyone get any resolution to this problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but doing this has 1000% fixed my crappy rain-sensing wiper issues
Clean the heck out of the windscreen with sponge and auto soap
Clay-bar the windscreen properly
Clean the windscreen again
Apply w/ microfiber towel Rainx yellow bottle
Profit.

This is hugely helped me, it's indescribable. I was having the same exact issue of one single swipe and then nothing at all. The windscreen now keeps VERY clear. Not to mention the rainx makes it much safer in between swipes or in the event of a surprise liquid splashing onto your shield. The sensor/laser assembly can get dirty (especially after years of not properly caring for the windscreen) and doing this will clean it up so that it works properly.
Also, dont forget the sensitivity adjuster on the wiper stalk works wonders, and also keep in mind the harder it rains, the faster they go - the faster your car is moving, the faster they go. Its all relative to the intensity and rate of speed at which you travel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I gave this a try, sadly no improvement. I tested with the wiper in the auto setting, turned the rotary dial and again one swipe and no additional swipes. With the car running I then then used the garden hose and squirted water all over the windshield - no response from the wipers. I think the sensor may possibly be dead?

·
Registered
231 Posts
lol. I bet you have rain sensing wipers turned off in the stereo.. there is a check-box to disable it. The rain sensors in these pretty much never go bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't believe there is an option for that in a 2009? Section 3:1 P67-68 of the owners manual details the rain sensor function. There is no mention of activation via the stereo.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ahh heck.. you dont have the rns 850 do you. Shoot. I'm not sure man. It def. sounds like its disabled somehow though.. the rain detect system is dead reliable

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks - I would agree - it does sound like it's disabled. No errors reported in VCDS for the wiper system. The wiper speed regulation does work. Eg If wipers are on permanently and the car comes to a stop, so do the wipers. Just something odd with the rain detect part. When checking all modules for codes I did have the following error for the air quality sensor though not likely related. Interestingly the plug was not connected to the sensor. Alas plugging in, clearing code didn't make a difference.

1 Fault Found:
01592 - Air Quality Sensor (G238)
007 - Short to Ground

Along with another two for the radio: (There is no CD changer present - from Ross-Tech tuner is likely XM/Sirus not activated) again though not likely related,

2 Faults Found:
00857 - CD Changer Unit (R41)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 97
Reset counter: 208
Mileage: 162184 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.11.09
Time: 10:27:40