Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never liked the rain sensing wipers on my '05 T1, and my '10 T2 is even worse. Too sensitive...runs fast even in light drizzle, and runs in hyper-drive with any splashing or regular rain. I liked the manual wiper delay in older cars a lot better.

Previous threads on this topic have not produced an answer. Though one member was able to provide the code that disabled his own, it did not work for other readers. The question as to whether the wipers would still work at manually-timed intervals was also not answered. Hopefully this posting will provide the solution.

I did this with VCDS beta 1.10.1, though I subsequently found that version 10.6 worked just as well:

Using VCDS, open Controller 68 - Rear Wiper. Choose Coding, which will reveal a drop box, offering two choices:

1) selecting this item reveals a seven digit code with no coding helper box.

2) selecting this item reveals an eight digit code, with the long coding helper box now active. Clicking on this helper opens to the first byte, with several options below, the last item of which, currently unchecked, being to inactivate the rain sensor.

Checking this box changed my code from 00208941 to 02306093. The controller accepted the coding, and I exited, and disconnected the computer. (NOTE: Your code numbers may be different, but the methodology should be the same)

I then measured the wiper delay intervals on a dry afternoon:

Sitting in the driveway, the delays were 30, 15, 10, and 5 sec in the four switch positions.

Driving down the road, they measured 16, 11, 6, and 3 sec.

So the delay function now appears to work normally in manual mode, but still slowing when the car is stopped in traffic, without that annoying rain sensor sending the wipers into orbit with any small splash of water.

I am delighted; I await the next drizzly day in the Northwest.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
If you don't want to play with a VCDS, going UP into the intermittent mode uses the sensor, going DOWN into the intermittent mode gets it running in manual mode.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you don't want to play with a VCDS, going UP into the intermittent mode uses the sensor, going DOWN into the intermittent mode gets it running in manual mode.

this is not a solution in my opinion, just a workaround and does not work as stated on my 06. it was a problem on my 04 and and clearly a problem on t2. so i think a vcds solution is definitely in order if someone knows a way to adjust the sensitivity and not convert it to a conventioanl interval base. i expect the "rainsense" to sense the rain as it's designed to; this IS a luxury vehicle....it worked better on my wife's passat.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've been using the fixed intervals for a month now, and I would never go back to using that non-programmable rain sensor. As you state, it cannot be adjusted, (and I spent a lot of time trying).

Moreover, even passing a semi in a rainstorm, and getting high volumes of spray, it is much more pleasant being able to adjust the wiper speed upward, with a small finger twist, and then bring it back down again, than to have the system go uncontrollably into hyper drive, and not slow down without shutting off the wipers, and starting them again, as I was experiencing.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm going to try give this code a shot. I hate the rain sensing wipers because they are never consistent.
Yesterday with a steady drizzle, in rain sensing mode at the lowest setting, the wipers were going full speed. The only way to stop this was switch them to low speed or just turn it off and give them a swipe manually when my vision was impaired. This is not a quick run to the store, I'm talking about a 35 mile commute and it was stuck on full speed. I tried every setting to no avail.
This morning with the same steady drizzle the rain sensor worked okay.
This is not the first time this has happened and my windshield is always clean.

Just for comparisons sake, my Wife's 09 Saab 9-3 has rain sensing wipers that work great. They only have two settings, high and low, that work like you'd expect them too. I'm certain that it's a GM product... ](*,)

·
Registered
10 Posts
New to forum. Just tried this option. Worked like a charm. Controller 68 was not called rear wipers, just wipers. I have a new Ross tech Cam-hex serial connector. Just follow instructions.:D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you'd like to experiment with VCDS and the rain sensor, you might try Hex 21 (33%) I find it a big improvement over the recommended $2D (45%).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bringing back this oldie. This is not working on my 2008 either. Everything is as planned but I'm not getting any results.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Do you have RLS 1K0 955 559 AH?
Did you check bit 5 in the Long Coding Helper?

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's also an option to choose between different types of windshields.

But my T2 does it also. Suddenly the wipers go from 30s interval to full speed, with no change in rain quantity.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You can change the sensitivity of the sensor. See my post #8 above. Do not use the setting listed for Touareg in the drop-down for BYTE 3. Mine was so sensitive it would respond if a vehicle ahead was washing its windshield.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My problem is that the wipers do nothing on the "sensor" setting. I get one wipe, then nothing. I only get wipes when I turn the knob. So I figue the sensor is whipped.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You need to select the RLS, RIGHT BELOW PRESENT SELECTION.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I switch to that one, bit 5 is checked, coding gets accepted and it doesn't work.

When I go back in, it has reverted back to the other coding.

I've done things like this before with no problems.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You might try switching off the ignition after exiting VCDS (and that after clicking "do it.")

An email to Ross-tech would bring authoritative help, providing of course that you're a registered owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So over a year later I give this a try again and it still doesn't work for me. It also doesn't matter if I go up or down into the 1st stalk setting. I get one swipe and then nothing.

Is there a test I can do to see if the sensor is bad or if it is something else?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts