Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I would like to know the best way to disable the self-leveing with air suspension.

Maybe install an electrical switch to turn self levelling on and off?

I still want to be able to use the height selection, and sport, auto, comfort - but once I am happy with the level on flat ground to stop it from trying to adjust on uneven ground.

I know I can pull the 40-amp fuse to stop the compressor, but this doesn't stop the system from releasing air to self level.

Do I need the switch to bypass the relay under the LHS dashboard or bypass the control unit or bypass the wiring going to the compressor and valves?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
I have steel suspension so i don't know how the Touareg system operates.
You can't turn off the jacking switch and drive with it like that?

What sort of sensors detect the ride height?
The Explorer has a sort of a scissor thing that could be disabled to prevent the system detecting anything therefore preventing it from adjusting anything.

· Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,420 Posts
I'd expect Touareg on air to have a height sensor for each wheel - quite unlike self levelling on steel-sprung car.

I'll admit I'm intrigued why the OP feels the need to disable the continuous adjustment but retain the ability to choose height.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
How is it "adjusting" on uneven ground?? What issues are you having?

You could disconnect the level sensor arms and leave them "static" (locked in one position) but that would NOT allow you to adjust the height otherwise and in fact could cause the system to dump too much air into your suspension, possibly blowing out an airbag or rupturing the whole system.

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,420 Posts
My 2015 Rline doesn't self level, even though it has self adjustable air suspension, when compared to my v10 (2006).
The v10 will always level itself when on uneven ground, at the lights, etc. but the v8 stays the same only seems to self level very rarely but of course you can use the selector for different ride height.
Appears what you want is the Rline V8 Tdi air suspension.
There is definitely a difference between the two I have.
Question is, do other MY15-16 with air suspension, owners experience the same limited self levelling compared to the T1/T2 models?

· Registered
205 Posts
Hi Singh,
With our 2015 V6 180 I have found no difference to our previous 2009 T2, in regards to self levelling.
I certainly would not want to disable it. I find it extremely handy when towing the caravan or any other such toys I seem to attach to the rear of the Touareg.
Cheers.

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,420 Posts
Hi Singh, With our 2015 V6 180 I have found no difference to our previous 2009 T2, in regards to self levelling. I certainly would not want to disable it. I find it extremely handy when towing the caravan or any other such toys I seem to attach to the rear of the Touareg. Cheers.
Interesting Rossco. Perhaps another r line owner can chime in- there is definitely a difference between the v10 and the v8, with v10 always alive and moving the suspension.
Do you have the readout from vagcom on the suspension? Would be good to compare the setup and understand difference with the Rline.
I am assuming R line is based on a sporty setup so self levels quite less

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi. And thanks for the responses.

The method to my madness is;

I have been having on-going intermitant problems with minor air leaks from the L-shape fitting from the outlet from the compressor. It seams weather dependant, fitting has been replaced 3-times etc etc. I am a very persitant person, so I will solve this issue permanantly - but in the meanwhile my wife and I still need to drive the car.

There are two problems,

1) When the issue occurs the compressor runs and runs, with risk of it burning out - or blowing the 40amp fuse.
2) So I have been driving the car for a while now with the fuse pulled, but at a set of lights facing uphill the car will lower the front end - pulling away onto flat ground of course the car is unable to raise itself. Every week I plug the fuse back in to level the car.

I am thinking the best bet is to put a switch on the signal line that lets air out of the system when it tries to lower. This I imagine it one of the wires going to the compressor block?

Yes, I still want self leveling for when I tow or when I drop it into Sport or raise it to Comfort.

Cheers.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could be the connectors on the hoses going INTO the fitting, not the fitting itself. Spray it with soapy water and look for bubbles.
Yes, I need to get a proper 6mm hose line cutting tool. I have been under the car more times than I can remember, spray it and its fine. Then two days later it is leaking with bubbles. Either from where the hose pushes in; or from the elbow pivot point itself. As you say it could be the hose isn't completely round - that will solve half of the problem.

Cheers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.