Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one can point me to a procedure to disable foot activation of the lift-gate with VAG ? My car is a 2016 Touareg TDI with technology.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Using VCDS, go to 46- central convenience, then 07-coding, then long coding. Go to byte 13, and change its hex value from 02 to 00.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Curious,why do you want to disable the function? I have a 2016 lux TDI and don't have the active foot control of lift gate. I might try to activate my car,if it is available.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I can only suspect that he has experience the very unpleasant scenario, where you are backed up close to a wall but still have the key in your pocket, and as you walk around the vehicle, the tailgate activates and while crapping your pants you drop everything to wrestle the liftgate before it hits the wall\trailer\tree\whatever you're close to.......

.... not that it's ever happened to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Neighbor's cat - Standard striped tabby variety. I had the fob in my pocket and noticed the cat walk past, around the rear of the vehicle and guess what, up goes the hatch!
2. Shadows - Sunny day, super hard shadows. Fob in my pocket I walked around the rear of the car, casting a shadow under the bumper but not close enough that my foot was under the bumper. Again, up goes the hatch!
3. Wet pavement reflections - Washing car with high pressure wand from car wash, spraying the rear of the car - boom, up goes the hatch! No idea how.. Happened again while hand washing at home! This time I created a shadow in the sun reflection off the pavement and activated it.

In addition to these strange and unexplainable experiences, on two different occasions I came out to the vehicle in the morning only to find the hatch wide open! One of those times it poured rain all night. Luckily nothing was wet or stolen. Could I have somehow unknowingly activated the liftgate from the fob being in my pocket? Perhaps, but all of these strange occasions lead me to believe there is some kind of sensor malfunction. Not to mention the fact that the thing only works the way it is supposed about 30% of the time.

I have been meaning to deactivate this feature for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can only suspect that he has experience the very unpleasant scenario, where you are backed up close to a wall but still have the key in your pocket, and as you walk around the vehicle, the tailgate activates and while crapping your pants you drop everything to wrestle the liftgate before it hits the wall\trailer\tree\whatever you're close to.......

.... not that it's ever happened to me.
The only time it opened on me was in a wand wash bay - spraying under the hitch and being close enough to the tailgate to read the key in my pocket.... trying NOT to spray into the vehicle...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
1. Neighbor's cat - Standard striped tabby variety. I had the fob in my pocket and noticed the cat walk past, around the rear of the vehicle and guess what, up goes the hatch!
2. Shadows - Sunny day, super hard shadows. Fob in my pocket I walked around the rear of the car, casting a shadow under the bumper but not close enough that my foot was under the bumper. Again, up goes the hatch!
3. Wet pavement reflections - Washing car with high pressure wand from car wash, spraying the rear of the car - boom, up goes the hatch! No idea how.. Happened again while hand washing at home! This time I created a shadow in the sun reflection off the pavement and activated it.

In addition to these strange and unexplainable experiences, on two different occasions I came out to the vehicle in the morning only to find the hatch wide open! One of those times it poured rain all night. Luckily nothing was wet or stolen. Could I have somehow unknowingly activated the liftgate from the fob being in my pocket? Perhaps, but all of these strange occasions lead me to believe there is some kind of sensor malfunction. Not to mention the fact that the thing only works the way it is supposed about 30% of the time.

I have been meaning to deactivate this feature for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to it.
They are proximity sensors, not optical ones..... shadows or reflections would never trigger the system.
As mentioned above, walking around the back of the car is sometimes enough to activate the gate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Right, that is my understanding now. I had no idea what kind of sensor it was at the time which is why I was perplexed when it was triggered several times without really being in proximity (that being under bumper). I have read about a fairly specific foot motion that should activate it. This will rarely open it for me, at least not when my arms are full and I really need it. The cat must have waved its tail in just the right place.

Needless to say, this feature is really fussy and unpredictable on my vehicle which has led me to all sorts theories.

Thanks Chewblekka for providing the coding for deactivation. I'll get to it one of these days..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to clarify , on my hitch bike carrier when taking the bikes up an down , inadvertently tailgate is triggered. i wanted to avoid that ( for now i had placed some rubber pad at the point where the gate touches the carrier during opening.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. This is good to know and all the more reason to deactivate this feature as I am currently shopping for a hitch-mount bike rack.

·
Registered
61 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47345-Wire-Flat-Adapter/dp/B0002RNSKK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=13IQQQ2BB6X89&keywords=7+pin+to+4+pin+trailer+adapter&qid=1560498028&s=gateway&sprefix=7+pin+to+4+pin+,aps,203&sr=8-4

When you have your bike rack mounted, plug in one of these 7 pin to 4 pin adapters (with LED indicators). Foot activation will just unlatch the trunk, but not open it since the Touareg thinks a trailer is attached. $10.

If you have a blank plate covering the 7 pin wiring, the 7 pin electrical plug is cheap ($15) and easy to install

https://www.amazon.com/Pollak-11-893P-7-Way-Socket-Style/dp/B000B6NQHW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1ZTZYD03X52CS&keywords=ford+7+pin+trailer+connector&qid=1560498459&s=gateway&sprefix=ford+7+pin+,aps,199&sr=8-5

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
etischer
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing