Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys good to be back.. I’m currently building a T3 TDI and thought it would be fun to share some of the progress.

AlexGee has sent me a lift and it should be here this Saturday! Also I’ve almost completed the winch install.

Also managed to put in a GTI steering wheel :)

305/60r18s

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oohhhh that steering wheels looks bad ass... can you share more info on that particular conversion?
I should probably point out that in doing this I assume my airbag will preform as it should. If you decide to do this please only use this guide as reference and be aware you are performing this at your own risk.

first thing to do is disconnect your battery!

I’d be happy to. Its fairly easy to do. Just need a gti wheel and air bag. The wheel will bolt right in just the same as the Touareg wheel. Just need to swap the airbag harness from your Touareg airbag to the gti bag. All the connections are the same. There is a controller attached to the wheel with ribbon cables that go to the buttons/controls. I swapped that controller from the Touareg wheel to the gti wheel. It will just wiggle free after disconnecting the ribbon cables. Then you will need to take the buttons out of both wheels. On the Touareg wheel the part that houses the buttons just carefully lift out and on the gti wheel there is a screw on each side holding the piece in place. Once you have the buttons out you will need to remove 3 screws from the back of each button assembly and then remove it from the housing or trim pieces. Then you can take the screw out from the center and pull the black plastic housing apart and remove the circuit board from behind the buttons. You can swap the circuit board from the Touareg buttons to the GTI buttons put everything back together and everything will function just as the Touareg wheel did. If you need any further detail or have any more questions I’ll be happy to help!
Here are a couple pictures.

This is the back of both trim pieces that house the buttons. Top is the gti and bottom is the Touareg. You can see the three screws around each button housing.

With the button housings removed from the trim you can remove the center screw and gently pull it apart to reveal the circuit board

the circuit board just gently lifts out.

The switch housings themselves will not interchange as they are different. This is the reason for swapping the boards. How ever the signal (I think resistance) is sent the gti switches do not operate properly even though the the buttons are nearly identical to the Touareg. Swapping the boards eliminate this issue and restores function.

The only button that is different is the menu button on the touareg is a back button on the gti. It will preform the same function and I don’t mind that it is now and arrow instead of a menu icon.

Some after thoughts...
Once you remove your steering wheel center bolt and before you pull the wheel off I would mark the top center of the wheel on the shaft so you know where your gti wheel needs to be so that it is aligned properly. Also it is recommended not to rotate the clock spring assembly with the wheel removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you,
I plan to build a rear tire carrier at some point.
I was hoping to hear plans of moving the DEF tank and squeezing the spare tire under a raised cargo floor. The only other internal storage option is vertically/horizontally above the cargo floor and that takes a ton of space. Tire carriers look really cool but I don't like swinging them out every time I get into the cargo area. Looking forward to the build and trail reports.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was hoping to hear plans of moving the DEF tank and squeezing the spare tire under a raised cargo floor. The only other internal storage option is vertically/horizontally above the cargo floor and that takes a ton of space. Tire carriers look really cool but I don't like swinging them out every time I get into the cargo area. Looking forward to the build and trail reports.
Man might as well remove it completely if your state doesn't have emissions testing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you seeing any impact on the cooling system with the winch in front of the radiator like that?
That is definitely one of my concerns, so far Ive put about 100 miles on her with no issues but I would still consider this the "testing phase". Unfortunately its starting to get cold in my neck of the woods so if Im going to have issues I may not know until the middle of next summer.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Looks awesome.... I'd start considering fender flares because those lugs will be kicking up all sorts of debris all over your sides, etc.

I'd also go "flex" the suspension and put it under some serious articulation.... I'd suspect you will be getting into your fenders with rubber that wide.... you may want to add some bump stops\limits before you tear your fenders off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome build Dillon. I'm looking at getting my first Touareg (2012), and your build is exactly what I have envisioned for my future Treg. Any way I can get the contact info for your lift?

·
Registered
350 Posts
i also ordered a lift from alex.....probably go 285 65 r18s tho as i cant find the tires i want in 305s unfortunately....i cannot wait.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Weird question. Do you regret the rock driveway? I had blacktop and now I have rocks. I hate every second of it lol.
Not my drive, but I had a gravel driveway at my home growing up and I didnt like it. Concrete is the way to go!

Awesome build Dillon. I'm looking at getting my first Touareg (2012), and your build is exactly what I have envisioned for my future Treg. Any way I can get the contact info for your lift?
alexgee is his user name on the forms. Instagram is a great way to contact him his handle on there is @_alex_gee_

i also ordered a lift from alex.....probably go 285 65 r18s tho as i cant find the tires i want in 305s unfortunately....i cannot wait.
We just put 285 65 r18s on my buddys atlas and it turned out great!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts