Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a noisy front diff. My dealer tells me the diff has to be replaced at the tune of 4k. I've seen some posts on where folks have rebuilt the diff using new bearings and races ect. Anybody done that? Any step by step instructions floating around? 4K is not in the cards at the moment. Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
First thing is always say what Touareg you have. Age? Mileage? What have you tried so far. Diff Locks or standard 4 motion?

How noisy? Is there metal fragments in the oil? On my previous car the gearbox had a noisy bearing. I added some Molyslip and the noise vanished never to return.

I would look for a used replacement before spending 4k. Ebay in the UK has a few priced at £200 around $400 & would guess Ebay USA would to but don't know what Touareg you have so cant be 100%.

·
Registered
2015 Touareg v6 TDI R-Line
181 Posts
what did your noisy front diff sound like? Do you have any video/audio of the sound? Did you notice anything in particular about driving performance issues first? What did you notice exactly?

·
Registered
2006 V6 3.2
25 Posts
I just replaced the failed front differential in my '06 V6 203k, with a used unit. It had a horrible metal-on-metal scraping noise which I could feel through the steering wheel. If you are skilled enough to rebuild the diff yourself or know someone who is, have at it. Otherwise, I highly recommend going the used route. I actually went with a unit from a 2010 Audi Q7 with 78k miles, guided by information on another post here. There are far more Q7 diffs available and they are much less expensive than those "specified" for the Touareg. Mine was only $115 shipped but generally, they range from $200-$500 with under 100k miles. The few Touareg-specific units I found averaged $500+ and had 150k+ miles. My shop charges $100/hour, and they replaced it in 6.6 hours, plus $125 for the front end alignment required after replacement. Less than $1000 all-in, including two quarts of Liqui-Moly gear oil!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.