Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to replace my street tires on my 04 Touareg V8 and want to go with a beefy AT tire. I have pretty much decided upon the BFG All Terrain T/A KO in a 265/65/R18, based on a lot of research and the success some other ClubT members have had, but today the guy at my tire shop told me oversizing could be catastrophic for the diffs and gearing on an all wheel drive car. He said "your car isn't built for offroading" at this, I laughed. I just want to be sure that I'm not going to kill my car by oversizing to the 265/65/R18s.

Thanks

Brad

·
Super Moderator
9,704 Posts
Get the tires and ignore the idiot at the tire shop since he has no idea what the Treg is about.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,885 Posts
i'm looking at getting the BFGs in the same size, hopefully will have them put on next week. Want to ensure there is no rubbing, especially around the intercooler vents

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Singh, a 265/65/18 I think will be VERY close to the IC vents (31.65" overal diameter) on the V10.... Worst case scenario though, I would think with that size the rubbing would either solve itself, or could easily be solved by securing the fender liners/vents a bit tighter

·
Learner
5,885 Posts
Well I am being hopeful....i've seen several US Treggers with the same diameter but only on petrol modes where there are no vents.
give me few days and i'll try it on and drop it in load setting to evaluate the possible

·
Registered
501 Posts
"your car isn't built for offroading"
Yeah, right!

Why do tyre salemen think they know all and everything about our cars. At best they know a bit about tyres :p

I have already bought my 2nd hand 18" Khartoum wheels for the V10, currently shod with 255/55/18 Scorpion STRs.

When they are worn away, I intend going BFG AT 265/65/18 as well, so I will watch this thread closely.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, I know jwestpro ran these tires in a 265/65/18 on his V10 with very minimal rubbing.

bfg at ko is one of the highest mileage tires you can buy and in my experience, the most durable as well. you are more likely to replace them due to age than wearing them out actually.

other people with a v10 will agree that the size i had will rub slightly but it's no big deal to me as it was only on the fender lining up front.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've got close to 10K on mine. No rubbing, no mods to the vents. Just lots of smiles when I don't have to walk 1/2 mile across pasture to hunt. They do fit close, test fit to be sure on your Treg with your choice of brand.

·
Learner
5,885 Posts
I've got close to 10K on mine. No rubbing, no mods to the vents. Just lots of smiles when I don't have to walk 1/2 mile across pasture to hunt. They do fit close, test fit to be sure on your Treg with your choice of brand.
do you have the BFGs or another brand?

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Arggggggggh!!! Just when I had the tyre I wanted ready to order I made sure I had this carefully sorted. I am running Hankook Ventus ST 255/55/18 with a rolling diameter of 737 mm, the tyre I want to fit is the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/60/18 with a rolling diameter of 775mm. This is an increase of 38 mm. The law in Queensland currently allows a 15 mm increase or a 26mm decrease. So, NO, I DO NOT fit this tyre, way too much increase. I foresee speedo error and gearing issues also. Fine on a Landcruiser or Patrol etc, but not a Touareg. So what then? Maybe its the General Grabber AT2 255/55/18. Coopers and Scorpions - read too many mixed reports. I'm running out of 18" options.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
I've got the Hankook's.
Yes. I read previous U had fitted. RU happy with them? Would you fit them again? Is the speedo out (by how much)?. R they noisy on the road? I have not read a bad review on them, but most of these are from non-Treg owners. We have some weird tyre fitment rules in Queensland. I really do want to fit them, but.............

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Speedo is spot on, no noise, I'd get them again. I was using the Nitto TerraGrapplers, when my distributor got me these for $140 mounted and balanced. The Nitto's were much higher priced.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Speedo is spot on, no noise, I'd get them again. I was using the Nitto TerraGrapplers, when my distributor got me these for $140 mounted and balanced. The Nitto's were much higher priced.
There's value in this forum with persistence. Better to get user feedback than "fly blind". Good fella is Mike's Panzer. I reckon I'll go for the Dynapro's after this. Had a yak with my insurer, so no big deal there to fit them. Over here these are about $240 ea! Sucks!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I fitted AT2's in 255-55/18 to my V10 here in Johannesburg, South Africa. first tried the 255-60's which were fine on the car BUT, even fully deflated, would not fit on the rear spare wheel carrier. They work very well off road but are not so happy in deep very soft beach/dune sand as the low profile doesn't give a long enough footprint. Road noise really is not an issue.
Will look seriously at some BFG 265-65/18's later if I can make up a suitable adaptor to allow it to fit the rear carrier.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Will look seriously at some BFG 265-65/18's later if I can make up a suitable adaptor to allow it to fit the rear carrier.
That's your only option if you have the full size carrier. I'm soooo glad mine doesn't have it. The 255/55R18 just doesn't work off-road IMO. Not only do they give no foot-print, but the sidewalls take a beating as well. They're just not designed of off-road use.

I'd consider going to a 265/60R18, but that's it. Luckily I've got 17's, so I don't have issues.

·
Learner
5,885 Posts
larry, you can fit 265/65 on the rear wheel carrier but only if you mount it inside out, it sticks out a bit but does fit. You will need longer bolts though

1 - 20 of 37 Posts