Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started noticing a diesel smell inside the cabin when the car is sitting still or idling. Never had this before but I am noticing that now. It has 113,000 miles on it and it’s a 2009. What could cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so more info. I’ve had this issue for 3 weeks now. Took it to dealer on Monday and they said they couldn’t smell anything. Now this is not a VW dealer but a private dealership that’s trained in VW vehicles. Been going to them for four years now and they do awesome work. So was surprised when they didn’t find anything. I picked up the car and drove 15 minutes home. I let the car idle for second and back came exhaust smell not fuel smell. However today I drove it and no smell at all. Temps are warmer today but seems to me something with a hole or cracked would still cause a issue. Does this help narrow things down a bit?

By the way normally when I stop with vehicle running I begin smelling exhaust within 30 seconds It happens quickly and by 1-2 minute its very strong causing me to roll down the windows.

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks for the info. I just noticed tonight some exhaust smoke coming from area around left front headlight. The leak is apparently in that area.

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so today it was cold and I stopped at gas station with engine running. To my surprise I seen a little smoke coming front right or passenger headlight. So I opened the hood and also noticed the oil dip stick was not fully seated and had a little smoke or steam coming out of it. Both locations smelled like diesel exhaust. The smoke around the headlight is coming from below as I could not see where it was coming from up top. Any ideas on this? Could the dpf be clogged causing increased back pressure?

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree just wondered if maybe a dpf sensor might not be working properly. I have appointment next week so will see what dealer says.

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems to be a common issue with diesel Touaregs, especially when they get old.

Egr pipes and cracks in the exhaust manifold seems to be the issue contributing to the foul air which goes into the cabin

Believe it or not that was the oil fill cap. Can’t remember if it was damaged and had to be replaced or just loose. Either way they fixed it never had an issue since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts