Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being conscious of the need to have quality fuel in our precision machines I ask the question about reliability. Costco in Perth is significantly cheaper than anywhere else at 93 cents per litre. Does anyone have any objective information that it may be of less quality? I don't have reason to think it is other than price. Ian

·
Registered
Black 2004 V10
259 Posts
Being conscious of the need to have quality fuel in our precision machines I ask the question about reliability. Costco in Perth is significantly cheaper than anywhere else at 93 cents per litre. Does anyone have any objective information that it may be of less quality? I don't have reason to think it is other than price. Ian
Ian i will only use BP ultimate and not when the tanks are being refilled also only a fairly new station but that is quite a saving. If we can some how find out the fuels origin it could save a considerable amount if the fuel is up to spec. Vaughan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been using Costo fuels for all our vehicles since they opened a store near me (about 2 years now) and I have never had a problem, quite frankly I trust them ahead of many 'branded' outlets who seem more focused on getting you to spend money in the store then selling fuel...

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
963 Posts
Do you guys have a national minimum standard for diesel fuel? I know that some Australian emission regulations are based on those used in the EU, part of which is the EN590 minimum standard for diesel fuel EN 590 - Wikipedia

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys have a national minimum standard for diesel fuel? I know that some Australian emission regulations are based on those used in the EU, part of which is the EN590 minimum standard for diesel fuel EN 590 - Wikipedia
Yes

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
963 Posts
That's very similar to the European EN590 minimum standard - that's the standard the engine is designed for so any brand preferences are just that, personal preferences - sadly, fuel brands never divulge their exact formulation especially the additive package.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am pretty sure that all fuel in Western Australia except to some high volume sites in the North West ( mainly Mining operations) is produced at BP's refinery in Kwinana, south of Perth. The crude oil is sourced from a variety of countries on the world market, but all refined fuels for WA except the North West come from the Kwinana refinery. So basically unless retailers such as Costco request a different blend ( which I doubt) it is all the same. The only caution would be in regard to very low volume retailers, or retailers with old underground tanks etc where the fuel may be contaminated locally. The Kwinana refinery is the last remaining refinery in Australia.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty sure that all fuel in Western Australia except to some high volume sites in the North West ( mainly Mining operations) is produced at BP's refinery in Kwinana, south of Perth. The crude oil is sourced from a variety of countries on the world market, but all refined fuels for WA except the North West come from the Kwinana refinery. So basically unless retailers such as Costco request a different blend ( which I doubt) it is all the same. The only caution would be in regard to very low volume retailers, or retailers with old underground tanks etc where the fuel may be contaminated locally. The Kwinana refinery is the last remaining refinery in Australia.
Thanks km575. I had heard that some was imported directly. I agree that if it is all from Kwinana there is not an issue. Where does it come from to the Eastern States?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,109 Posts
I have heard 2 explanations/theories/reasons over the years.

Facts: BP refinery at Kwinana is the only one in Australia now. The Kwinana industrial strip (along the coastal expanse of Kwinana 'beach') is a melting pot of high value, sensitive to the nations day to day movement etc operations and businesses. Hence the Navy have a very strong presence here in WA.

A while ago now, a good friend of mine was a sales rep for one of the independent fuel outlets here in WA. He informed me (at the time) that they sourced their fuel ex- Singapore. The ship would arrive here and the fuel would be stored in that company's tanks (coincidentally at Kwinana). The ships would take on water from the sea to act as ballast for the return trip to Singapore. He explained to me that when the ships arrived back at Singapore, the tanks were drained, but not cleaned, and then refilled for another trip to Kwinana.He advised me NOT to get fuel from them.

The most recent explanation provided to me, as to why the independents are selling cheaper fuel compared to the multi-nationals, is that from time to time, the BP refinery will (on purpose, or it is an acceptable loss of quality) produce a 'batch' of fuel which is borderline quality in respect to what the major companies are prepared to pay for and use under their brand name. So, that lesser quality fuel (may not be much, but it is all about the $ when you're dealing in grand scales such as this) is then on-sold to the independents.

The independents also supplement their fuel price (retail) by directing income from other portions of the business - eg. Costco have an annual subscription that Joe Average has to pay to shop/refuel at their outlets.

FWIW, I use BP Diesel whenever possible. I do notice a much better burn rate from the car when using BP.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
This may or may not help, but it is what I have been told is the setup in the USA. Your situation may or may not be similar.

We have a series of refineries that supply gas to the pipelines. Depending on the day, any one of the refineries product could be traveling thru the pipelines.

Now, the pipelines connect to large holding areas with huge tanks. Now, the holding areas do not care where the diesel was produced, they will just route the diesel from the pipeline into the next available diesel holding tank. A tank can hold the run from one refrinary or from many different refineries.

Now the truckers tell me that they fill the tankers from the same spot. So, what is the difference from a Load of Exxon, a load of Shell, and a load of Generic diesel you ask?

The difference is the detergent and additive package that is put into the tanker delivering the product to the fuel station. So, if it is an Exxon station, they get Exxon's additive. If it is Shell, they get Shell, if it is generic, they get a generic additive package.

Once again, the truckers tell me the additive package is the only thing different in the deliveries.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This may or may not help, but it is what I have been told is the setup in the USA. Your situation may or may not be similar.

We have a series of refineries that supply gas to the pipelines. Depending on the day, any one of the refineries product could be traveling thru the pipelines.

Now, the pipelines connect to large holding areas with huge tanks. Now, the holding areas do not care where the diesel was produced, they will just route the diesel from the pipeline into the next available diesel holding tank. A tank can hold the run from one refrinary or from many different refineries.

Now the truckers tell me that they fill the tankers from the same spot. So, what is the difference from a Load of Exxon, a load of Shell, and a load of Generic diesel you ask?

The difference is the detergent and additive package that is put into the tanker delivering the product to the fuel station. So, if it is an Exxon station, they get Exxon's additive. If it is Shell, they get Shell, if it is generic, they get a generic additive package.

Once again, the truckers tell me the additive package is the only thing different in the deliveries.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks. Any objective opinions about additive. I guess the additive could be considered a positive or perhaps a negative.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The impression that I have is the quality (or lack of quality) in the additive package is what determines the quality of the fuel at the pump.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,109 Posts
I view John's Youtube channel from time to time. he has an irritating presentation, which at first is funny, but the subject matter (sometimes very serious) is lost as he carries on like an unemployed comedian.

Whilst he makes use of Australian based links, the images in the report are Left Hand Drive trucks, the report is riddled with grammatical errors.

I steer away from Premium Diesel anyway, my comment re BP giving better bang for buck was using a direct comparison of their standard diesel product and the diesel from a cut price no-name brand.

Reactions: Matt fly’s

·
Registered
6 Posts
I view John's Youtube channel from time to time. he has an irritating presentation, which at first is funny, but the subject matter (sometimes very serious) is lost as he carries on like an unemployed comedian.

Whilst he makes use of Australian based links, the images in the report are Left Hand Drive trucks, the report is riddled with grammatical errors.

I steer away from Premium Diesel anyway, my comment re BP giving better bang for buck was using a direct comparison of their standard diesel product and the diesel from a cut price no-name brand.
I have just had my 2014 TDI (130K) engine pulled apart and the carbon build up blasted off. This was off the back of running very lumpy for the first 30 seconds on start up. I always used Caltex but my mechanic suggested using BP from hereon.

·
Registered
2015 R-Line
24 Posts
From a fill up perspective, anti-foaming agents in premium diesel let me fill up using the high-flow button which proves a bonus with the 100L tank. I've had the glow plug codes from using Singapore direct diesel outlets. They cleared up after using ChemTec Diesel Additive. I throw it in 1 once a month now. I avoid using "truck" diesel as while you can literally run the old diesels on warm tar, HPCR engines will go to heaven on dogey fuel, big $ fails over a few cents per Litre.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts