Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 TDI & 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 5.0 TDI
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Touareg back in VW Service again and still carrying warranty so I don’t know what DEF module does do? It been since month now. Is something relate to computer control of AdBlue?

My computer on dashboard kept alert that AdBlue is low (100 miles left until engine turn off) but I checked my AdBlue tank level is full. Do you think DEF module need replace?

I just want know what’s does do with it?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the DEF level sensor or the control module. Enjoy the fact that you have extended warranty.

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like an issue with the DEF level sensor or the control module. Enjoy the fact that you have extended warranty.
They mentioned already replaced DEF level sensor so hopefully it’s DEF control module if not then I don’t know what else could be.

When I bought used Touareg and it was already engine light came on which was N0X sensor and other relate emission issues and AdBlue injection line filled of crystallized (sit at auction or dealership for long periods) so Huntsville (Hiley) VW Service didn’t their job in four months even don’t have diesel mechanic certification. I went other VW Service where provide diesel parts and they discovered Hiley VW Service doing dirty business.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Glad I got a tune to disable all that emissions bollocks.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I hope the dealer checked the wires between the def sensor and the def module. Otherwise, you might be hearing that the new def module did not fix it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully, able fix it and back on road again.

Also I noticed people delete their AdBlue system on Touareg I don’t know how it can affect? Does will make more poison in my Touareg?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I’m not sure I understand - what poison are you talking about?
If you delete/disable the adblue system with a tune and DPF removal, obviously some more emissions will exit the tail pipe.

Reactions: cruelladevil1004

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry my grammar not clearly but understood maybe one day I will do after warranty expires

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
894 Posts
When my 2013 was only a baby. I had the AdBlue low level come on, about a week after a service visit. Odd. Brought it back, and they filled it, and cleared the code. Drove away from the dealership, and 2 miles away, LOW AdBlue level comes on again. I took it back, and they had it for three days, and it required a reflash of the ECU with support from Germany to get it sorted, I never had a problem with the level sensor since. But I did have the AdBlue tank heater replaced twice. All under the warranty.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
^^Yes. VW had to reflash the controllers. The early software was buggy.

Also, the early adblue heaters were defective. The adblue was corrosive and slowly destroyed the heater. After the court order that added the extended emissions warranty, VW commissioned a new heater, one that does not self destruct.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got my Touareg back yesterday. ToolmanJohn and Nickyt just exact what you mentioned. They had to replaced DEF Module and AdBlue heater after all just working again. I am glad they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have a 2015 tdi Touareg and its been to the shop for the def system having issues. After we add def fluid and drive it a ways the engine light comes on then the def system light comes on. They have changed the nox twice and now rhey are telling me its that we are not buying vw exhaust fluid is the cause. Anyone else have that isuue? Thinking about doing a delete kit because it has cause so many issues.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,064 Posts
Hi, i have a 2015 tdi Touareg and its been to the shop for the def system having issues. After we add def fluid and drive it a ways the engine light comes on then the def system light comes on. They have changed the nox twice and now rhey are telling me its that we are not buying vw exhaust fluid is the cause. Anyone else have that isuue? Thinking about doing a delete kit because it has cause so many issues.
It's BS about not using VW Adblue/DEF - it's an international standard and widely available.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
894 Posts
It's not the DEF fluid. My 2013 was less than 2 years old and the DEF warning light would not shut off. This was just after 20000 mile servicing too, the day after!! They had filled the DEF tank, but the service light came on the following day. I took it back, and they reset it, said it was fixed. I picked it up, again, and a few miles from the dealership, again the DEF warning comes on. Took it back the following day, they had it for 3 days. It got re-flashed to fix the problem, and it never happened again.
Maybe your service department is swapping components hoping the problem goes away.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
and now rhey are telling me its that we are not buying vw exhaust fluid is the cause.
LOL.... Why don't you propose that the next fill can be done with VW DEF Fluid, and IF the error comes up again, they will fix it and supply you with free fills for LIFE since that's what they claimed the problem was?

Also, forget about a delete. Based on what they are "telling you", I'm going to go out on a limb and jump to the conclusion that you don't know enough about this system to raise the BS flag, so if you get a delete, you will void all your warranty and end up paying dearly for all sorts of other future repairs as a result.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I've heard of many issues from not using Volkswagen def and using crap crap instead

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
I've heard of many issues from not using Volkswagen def and using crap crap instead
I have never heard of this. Got any examples?
As others have said, DEF is a "standard" formulation.... it can be old but that's about it.
Unless you're buying it on a street corner from a crack head in a 2L bottle, I can't see how the "brand" is a factor.

Reactions: Black Grouse

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I've just seen all kinds of threads all over the internet when it comes to German diesel engines being more finicky about not using OEM stuff. I know it's all urea and super simple but I've seen too many threads online where they had issues and the issues were stemmed from using an off-brand, like peak, where I just stick to OEM in this instance

1 - 20 of 29 Posts