Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Repco Sell Castrol Edge FST 507;00. It may not be out front, but they usually have it in store.

Mobil 1 also comes in 507:00 spec, but they usually need to order it in for you.

Stuart...

Attachments

Reactions: michaeq003

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Hi, does anyone know the engine oil type I need for a MY16 3litre TDI which I can buy from say Repco?

Two options would be Nulon 5w-30 Euro spec diesel oil or Penrite 5W-30 Enviro +
Both readily available at Autobarn or Supercheap at a reasonable price.

Can go the likes of Liqui-Moly or such great oils at a higher price range and a bit harder to get.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
see my signature ;)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Two options would be Nulon 5w-30 Euro spec diesel oil or Penrite 5W-30 Enviro +
Both readily available at Autobarn or Supercheap at a reasonable price.

Can go the likes of Liqui-Moly or such great oils at a higher price range and a bit harder to get.

regards
Drag
I've always liked Penrite, how good is it in this situation?

From the Penrite website: Enviro+ 5W-30 is a full synthetic OEM approved VW 504.00/507.00 engine oil

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I've always liked Penrite, how good is it in this situation?

From the Penrite website: Enviro+ 5W-30 is a full synthetic OEM approved VW 504.00/507.00 engine oil
If you are asking for yourself and you have an early 2.5 R5 with no DPF you MUST use 505.01 or 506.01 oil to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
60,000kms on one one oil change or oil changed every xx,000kms?

Are you really asking? ;)
4 x 15k changes.
But ultimately the only way to know which oil is better is to do expensive oil analysis.

Use any good quality oil that meets the spec and change it often. The price premium on VW synthetics make it hard to justify more preteen than the recommended service intervals though, in my view.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yes, I'm really asking. Because of the way you framed your answer.

Synthetic oils don't break down but they do become contaminated.
Some people leave the oil in and change the filters, others install bypass filters.

The bypass filters are far more effective at filtering the smallest particles than the regular filter types but I've never been able to establish the effectiveness with chemical contamination, that's why I was asking you.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No. I don't do diesels! I'm a gasser!!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hey NoobyToogy have you tried the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 Diesel specific. I just recently noticed it had not seen it before.

LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - Top Tec 4200 5W-30 Diesel
I've used it on and off for around 50K, currently stocked up with 30 litres of the stuff for future services.
Can't say I noticed any difference in engine temperature or fuel consumption by using it however the oil is made in Germany and is one of the most expensive oils on the AU market and pretty hard to find stores that stock it.

TonyB

Reactions: TouaregNut

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
Picked up my new 'Treg' a month ago and asked VW Aust. a few questions about this subject. I'll be changing the oil & filter myself at 1000k's, and at 7500k intervals (coz I'm old school) regardless of their reply, as follows :-

'' Thank you for your time on the phone today and once again, congratulations on the purchase of

your new Touareg.

As per our discussion, I can confirm I have liaised with our Volkswagen Group Australia

Technical department and have managed to source the answers to your questions -

1) Why is the initial oil change carried out at 15000kms rather than at 1000/1500kms?

Our engines are bench tested at factory and have been put through a short running process.

They are also machined to more accurate tolerances which removes the need for the initial

service. While our Volkswagen Technical Department agrees that this was the norm previously,

it is no longer required for new/advanced vehicles.

2) What are the commonly available oils for VW approved 507/00 specification?

Castrol SLX Longlife 3

Penrite Enviro+

Mobil 1 ESP

Shell Helix Ultra Extra

Valvoline Synpower XL-III

3) Does the type of oil used to initially run in the engine differ to the oil filled at the first

service?

The quality of oil has progressively improved over time. Due to this, having to use a different

type of oil to run in the motor compared to the oil used at time of first service is no longer

required. The oil viscosity and lubricity has improved greatly which ensures this is no longer

necessary.

If you do have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Experience

Team on 1800 607 822 and we will be happy to assist you.

We wish you many years of happy motoring and we welcome you to the Volkswagen family!

Kind regards,

Jana Hleis

Volkswagen Group Australia

Pty Ltd ''

From there on in, it's each to his own I guess. But the way I look at it, it'll only cost the equivalent of a hamburger and a cup of coffee a week over a year to do the right thing by your vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
talking of oil

Hi all, just had a major oil leak front the front of the engine somewhere?? thought it was the oil filter O ring in the incorrect position after an oil change, no, kept on coming, off to the dealer. Anyone experienced it and any suggestions as to the cause/reason
Never thought I would see my Touareg on a flatbed truck!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts