Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Wants To Fill The Gap Volkswagen Dieselgate Scandal Left | Huffington Post

Excerpt:

GM plans to tap a market left wide open after the biggest auto industry scandal since its own infamous ignition switch failure. Last week, the automaker announced plans to offer a diesel option with the 2018 model Chevrolet Equinox, its best-selling small sport utility vehicle. The move comes a year after Volkswagen, the world’s largest automaker by sales, admitted to cheating on U.S. regulatory tests for its diesel cars
Maybe they're going after buyers who would have bought a TDI version of the Crossblue (or even Touareg) and who aren't interested in gassers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The diesels in Equinox will be the Opel/Vauxhall 1.6/2.0 units - it's likely to have a sibling, not just a badge-swap, as a flagship for Opel/Vauxhall in 2017/18 to sit above the replacements for Meriva and Zafira which will be rebadged Peugeot 2008 and 3008.

If the VW TDI stop-sale becomes permanent, I'd expect owners more likely to buy a petrol/gasoline VW than switch brands.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
These Gm diesels are more about the ability to advertise an MPG vs any desire to sell these vehicles. I suspect we likely won't even see these on the road.

Same way they advertise the power and towing numbers of their 6.2L equipped 1500 pickup but you may find one in 10,000 that actually has that engine.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
827 Posts
It is more likely that the Treg owners will go MB or BMW Diesel. The build quality of GM car and truck bodies doesn't interest most German car buyers. I guess the cruze may have a chance in the diesel,but after a car like a Golf or passat, only maybe.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As much as I like MB/BMW/Audi and LR vehicles, the image they present make them borderline unacceptable for me.

The Equinox does not interest me much, but the prospect of a Cruze hatchback with a manual transmission is very appealing. If it is offered in a high level trim with the manual transmission, I'll probably check one out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is more likely that the Treg owners will go MB or BMW Diesel.
Very true. MB and, to a lesser extent, BMW both have a long history of selling diesels in the US, and are high on the list for me and other diesel fans I know. I just hope that they continue to do so....

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
As much as I like MB/BMW/Audi and LR vehicles, the image they present make them borderline unacceptable for me.

The Equinox does not interest me much, but the prospect of a Cruze hatchback with a manual transmission is very appealing. If it is offered in a high level trim with the manual transmission, I'll probably check one out.
Except the price is about to go UP! GM just confirmed that the hatchback Cruze models are made in Mexico. If Trump is as good as his word there soon will be a 35% tariff on those cars when shipped into the US.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Except the price is about to go UP! GM just confirmed that the hatchback Cruze models are made in Mexico. If Trump is as good as his word there soon will be a 35% tariff on those cars when shipped into the US.
Presumably also various VW Golf models built in Puebla.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've seen the suggestion/hint on GM Inside that any change in Mexico's FTA status will result in the Cruze hatchback being canned and the Astra hatchback imported from Germany instead.

If/when UK Brexit becomes effective and a UK/US trade deal signed, then Astra hatchback could be imported from the UK where it's also made. Unlike US production lines, European lines can build a mixture of LHD/RHD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts