Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sales lady told me that I would be receiving a 20% parts and labor discount for the jobs (replace rear brakes, fix side view mirror, oil change, replace pollen filter) over the phone, so I gave her the go-ahead. but when I got the Bill, it appears that i was only getting 5% parts discounts (compare the list vs. net column) instead of 20%.

She then explained that the discounts were manually applied behind the scene.

I uploaded the bill and removed all sensitive personal/dealer information, I will let you be the judge, currency is Canadian:

Summary of pre-tax amounts:

rear brake job: $834.58
oil change: $130.47
fix side view mirror (piece of plastic of the bottom broke off): $217.16
replace pollen filter: $91.73

here is the bill:

·
Registered
557 Posts
$90 to replace the cabin filter? yeah, that's a rip off.

Where in Canada are you. I'd be looking for a trusted VW mechanic rather than Stealership rates.

For example, local VW dealer wants $250 for a full alignment. My mechanic, $99.

·
Registered
283 Posts
20% discount explanation does not pass the snicker test. Behind the scene, my foot.

$318 in labor for rear brakes is absurd, but probably right out of the book. I did rears in my driveway in about an hour. I'd say 20 minutes of that was jacking and pulling the wheels. With my new compressor and air tools, faster.

Oil change looks OK. $46 labor for cabin filter labor, also not unreasonable.

Of course, brakes, oil change, and cabin filter are all DIY's and you could have saved hundreds in labor. High quality aftermarket brake parts could save another couple hundred vs dealer.

I checked my Bentley manual and it looks like the mirror turn signal just snaps in, so that looks doable, too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As others have said, all these items could be DIYed including replacing the door mirror turn indicator - I only posted the how-to on here yet again a couple of days ago!

You should have asked for fixed prices in advance.

I see you have an 06 V8.

When - and how many miles since - the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat were last replaced?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see you have an 06 V8.

When - and how many miles since - the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat were last replaced?
thanks for the reply and the heads up!

Quick update, ended up changing the timing belt/thermostat and housing/tensioners/water pump for $2169, they also provided a rental car for 5 days.

Small hiccup: they found that there is a tiny leak on the radiator, they say it could be already leaking or they caused the damage when the technician took the car apart, either way, they fixed it (by soldering) for free.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Glad you are sorted on that bit of maintenance!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I made the mistake once of not asking about the total cost involved. I dropped off my 10 year old riding mower for an oil change and replacement of belts. How hard could it be, right? Well, they had to drop the rear transmission/axle assembly to replace a worn out pulley and I ended up paying almost the same amount that I bought it (used) for. Live and learn. But at least my mower runs like new, now. LOL!

Remember, the labor rate is according to the industry guides. It does not necessarily correspond to how quickly an experienced person at home or a tech can complete the job. Also, sometimes the labor rate assumes you have access to a lift and/or engine table which most home mechanics do not.

That said, 48 Canadian dollars for the cabin filter, even from the dealer, seems a little steep.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I made the mistake once of not asking about the total cost involved. I dropped off my 10 year old riding mower for an oil change and replacement of belts. How hard could it be, right? Well, they had to drop the rear transmission/axle assembly to replace a worn out pulley and I ended up paying almost the same amount that I bought it (used) for. Live and learn. But at least my mower runs like new, now. LOL!

Remember, the labor rate is according to the industry guides. It does not necessarily correspond to how quickly an experienced person at home or a tech can complete the job. Also, sometimes the labor rate assumes you have access to a lift and/or engine table which most home mechanics do not.

That said, 48 Canadian dollars for the cabin filter, even from the dealer, seems a little steep.
I just paid $51.19 for the pollen filter and $83.00for the filter element, and $20.17 oil filter plus $8.00 for the oil plug and washer. They also charged me 9 liters of oil at $14.15 each total cost for oil $127.35, $28.27 Urea, plus 30,000 km maintenance $269.00. $54,00 to drain my washer fluid as I put the Florida washer fluid in as it was too weak. Total cost $734.00 CDN. If I would have known they would have charged me for the windshield fluid that amount I would have pressed on my washer lever till it was drained and added the good stuff myself. I was in a rush as car went into storage the following day for the winter.

So you are not the only one getting ripped off here in Canada by the Dealers.

Ref the excess oil I will discuss the next time I go to the dealer for a refund as there is only 7 Liters in the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts