Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have been losing coolant from my 2013 Treg TDI for the last 2 months. The car is running great but it's lost about two quarts just in the last 2 weeks. The common leak in the valley was repaired 12 months ago... the one discussed in this thread 2013 3.0 TDI - Probable EGR Valve coolant leak

There's no visible leak and no smell so I decided to have an oil sample checked. The testing confirmed coolant is getting in the oil. Can you anyone give me some advice on how to diagnose where it could be leaking? Oil cooler maybe? Head gasket? After reading through some threads here I see that there's a device available called a combustion leak tester. If that test is positive does that definitely mean its a head gasket?
The front flange had to be removed when the leak in the valley was repaired. There's an intricate gasket that seals it to the front of the block. I wonder if it could've let go...it was totally trouble free for 10 months/5000 miles after that repair though.
I just don't know enough right now to even know how to narrow it down to a certain part. I love my car though and it'll be a sad day if it's the end of the line. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
What milage and are you still under diesel gate warranty

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What milage and are you still under diesel gate warranty
Around 140,000 mi. Yes I still have some dieselgate warranty. The dealer said “we pressure tested the coolant system and didn’t see any loss”. Typical answer.

Do you know if a combustion leak tester definitely diagnoses a head gasket failure?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Headgasket leak into oil is very unlikely. I'd suspect oil cooler casting gasked in the Vee... There's been a few documented cases. I'd press the dealer to fix it under diesel gate as it should be covered.

If it was getting in the cylinders it would smoke and you would smell it.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
892 Posts
Did you showed the dealership the oil sample test that showed coolant in the oil? If it's internal, and you are under the extended powertrain warranty, they have to at least try and diagnose the location of the leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts