Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need a load test to determine how much life my battery has left?

Voltmeter on my T2 reads 14 when running but I don't know if the battery was ever replaced.

I would like to get ahead of it and change it before it leaves me stranded.

Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
The voltage with engine running is dependent on the alternator, not the state of the battery - I don't know the situation in America but in UK auto electrician will carry out a "drop-test" free - but "drop-testers" aren't expensive.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You can go to any auto parts store and they will test your battery for you. I suspect they'll be able to use the jump start terminals under the hood. Probably not necessary to unbolt and flip back the seat to access the battery itself just for a test.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The voltage with engine running is dependent on the alternator, not the state of the battery - I don't know the situation in America but in UK auto electrician will carry out a "drop-test" free - but "drop-testers" aren't expensive.

Thanks -- I didn't know the running voltage had more to do with the alternator.

I'll swing by an auto parts store for a load test.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Presumably your battery is 6 years old. It's at its statistical end of service life. It might test ok now, then let you down on a very cold day in February 2017. Just replace it. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your battery is 6 years old. It's at its statistical end of service life. It might test ok now, then let you down on a very cold day in February 2017. Just replace it. :)

I don't know how old it is though. My T2 had a previous owner. I'll get it tested though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Your battery is 6 years old. It's at its statistical end of service life. It might test ok now, then let you down on a very cold day in February 2017. Just replace it.

I don't know how old it is though. My T2 had a previous owner. I'll get it tested though.
There will be a date code on the battery indicating when it was made. Like "3512" would be 35th week of 2012. Given the location of the Touareg battery it might be problematic to find that date code without a lot of effort. :-/

·
Registered
682 Posts
A 5-6 year old battery (hard to get to) probably was not changed out. And as mentioned near end of life. From hear on out, consider yourself lucky.

However the luck is.

It's stored outside elements while charging (under your butt), probably gives it a year or two xompaired to 'outboard' batteries.

TDI have issues with batteries that are borderline. soooo

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
A 5-6 year old battery (hard to get to) probably was not changed out. And as mentioned near end of life. From hear on out, consider yourself lucky.

However the luck is.

It's stored outside elements while charging (under your butt), probably gives it a year or two xompaired to 'outboard' batteries.

TDI have issues with batteries that are borderline. soooo
I've read so many horror stories here about Touaregs with seemingly random crazy problems that end up being caused by a bad battery, there's no way I'd push it past 5 years. Maybe less.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

If it is original, this is the only reason I can think that it's made it this long (6+ years at this point).

Kind of makes me think there's no chance it's original.

I'll report back when I load test it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any chance you can wait until your next regular servicing date to ask your workshop to take a look at it? Just thinking aloud that it might be able to help save you a trip down before you absolutely have to. Is there any particular reason you're thinking about getting it swapped out now? Did it die on you recently?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
With VCDS you could actually log battery voltage drop during the start cycle. Anything below approximately 9.8v, just for a moment, will set a fault. Very difficult to see this in real time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Passed the load test. Holding 93% charge.

Guess that confirms it's not the original battery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts