Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I have a 3.6 ltr v6 2009, my tires 255/55 R18 Pirelli. No modification. And no hydraulics. Driving against 10 Jeeps (Modified), 4 prados (3 old & 1 new 2010), 1 Nissan, 3 landcrusers, 2 Mitsubishi.

All driving at 12 - 14 psi. I had 14 psi in front and 12 psi in the back. All the drives expect the jeeps had less experience. I had the smallest tires and the largest rims.

THE LOCATION- Oman, land surrounded by the desert. It was a hot day. The sand was dry and really soft, the softest you can find. Once we entered the desert we were surrounded with dunes and GPS guided our way. We made our own tracks on the fresh dunes.

The event was to train people how to drive in sand. The people driving the jeeps were all professionals and have done this a million times. A mix group on Australians, Americans, British, South Africans, Indians, Omanis, South Korean... and more.

All the SUV's got stuck at least once or twice. Yes even the jeeps. So did I... twice.... because of my mistake. The first time I was driving up a large dune and right before I went over the top I braked too soon. A jeep pulled me out. Cause of this my under body protection came off, which covers the bottom of the engine. The second time, same issue. When I was climbing hills I didn’t get stuck....

We started with small hills and then larger ones. In the small hill I drove in high gear. Went over it with no issue. At the same time. Landcrusers, Prado, and Mitsubishis got stuck and had to try it again once or twice.

when the large hills came... with very loose sand.... we wouldn’t even walk in them.... everyone had problems going up.... I shifted my gear to neutral and the knob to low gear (one shift). And went up with the screaming engine... climbed up the hill (approx 25 floors high building). No issue went up and left all the Mitsubishis and landcrusers shocked.... it felt gooooood....

Well Touareg is great in sand... yes it has less ground clearance compared to others... but much better torque to climb hills.... in the future i will be buying 265/60 R18 bf goodrich. All the jeeps were driving those.

My under body protection will be replaced in two days. Under warranty :rolleyes:...

TOUAREG IS GREAT ON SAND... EVEN BETTER AGAINST Toyota landcrusers because... land cruisers are heavy and their wheals are wide apart....

BUT THE PRADO IS BETTER ONLY BECAUSE OF ITS GROUND CLEARANCE.... WHEN IT COMES TO TOUQURE TOUAREG IS BETTER...

Pictures coming soon....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is the website of the group... the new pics are not added but you will get a idea what the touareg when through...
Wahiba challenge 2009

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nice going, atoprani :D

I'm glad you had fun, although I must say I'm surprised at how well you did with the 255/55R18 tyres. The fact that you dropped your tyre pressures is what made the difference. I always say, when you hit the sand, start at 14psi and work your way down from there. Anything higher and you're looking to get stuck.

Word of advice, when you get the new "sump guard". Next time, before you go into the desert, take it off and leave it at home. It's only suppose to be a noise insulator anyway and offers very little protection. I destroyed mine in the Namib desert as well. Since then I replaced it with a steel one.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What Andrie said, especially the tyres!
Imagine the Touareg with proper 265/65 tyres!

Did you turn ESP off?

About the photos - I scanned through them, but saw very little of the Touareg (except in group photos). Lots of Jeeps and LRs though. ;-)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the esp was off all the time.... ya even i was shock... it preformed well.... wasn't expecting it .... the sand was so soft because of the heat... we couldn't even walk on it... the pics on the website are old... i went for it yesterday... it will take sometime before they upload them.... everyone else has 265/65 or more.... keep in mind we will followed each other's track's... so what ever a prado or a landcruser or nissan did.... the touareg did.... the jeeps were following us more like sheep dogs.... making sure no one is left behind... the event was great... arms still hurt of driving so long... i would rate all the suv this way... jeep>prado>touareg>nissan> landcruser.... when it comes to off road on sand.... on road.... touareg>landcruser>prado>nissan>jeep.... and ya i will be getting the steel plates later on ... for right now.... the warranty covers me...

one more thing ... after 3 hours of driving .... we had to deflate the tires again cause the pressure increases as the tires heat up.... what i brought down to 12psi went up to 15 and 14 to 16.... keep that in mind guys... air expands when hot... i love driving in sand...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here are few pics taken from my cell... more pics coming up

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are few pics taken from my cell... more pics coming up

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is that a whip attached to the back of the Egg? If so, how did you attach it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that a whip attached to the back of the Egg? If so, how did you attach it?
ya it is a safety flag, well i didn't want to make holes on my treg .... so i bought a magnetic mounted antenna... removed the antenna and fixed in a cycle flag for more hight... and then tied it too the carrier on top for safety...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice going, atoprani :D

Word of advice, when you get the new "sump guard". Next time, before you go into the desert, take it off and leave it at home. It's only suppose to be a noise insulator anyway and offers very little protection. I destroyed mine in the Namib desert as well. Since then I replaced it with a steel one.
thank you for the advice... i will do that 4 sure... currently getting it replaced under warranty.... and will remove it when i go again.... there is also under body protection on the sides... which got a bit loose... you think its ok to remove that also???... sorry couldnt take pics of that....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
thank you for the advice... i will do that 4 sure... currently getting it replaced under warranty.... and will remove it when i go again.... there is also under body protection on the sides... which got a bit loose... you think its ok to remove that also???... sorry couldnt take pics of that....
The caveat I would have about removing the plastic panels on the sides under the rockers - if you have 4-corner air suspension, the compressor and high pressure air hoses are mounted in the frame slot under the forward passenger area. I would not expose that to potential damage if you have the feature.

I am looking for a metal solution for mine - possibly even fabricated - with special armor around the compressor area. Seems to be an easy area to mess up just behind the front tire. My current one is now pretty torn up and will need to be replaced.

Pretty awesome report! Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
under body protection

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE ADVICE....

well after the trip .... i wanted a better solution for the under body protection than just soft plastic cover. so i searched the club touareg site and printed all the pictures i could find to create a (aluminium) under body protection of mine.... well here are the pics of what i have... it took 1 week to get it done at a professional work shop ... there was no modification done to the original body...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts