Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have had my Touareg since early september. Took it off road about 3 days later.

Here it is January, and I can't imagine life without my Touareg! I have a link to pictures and video in my signature.

Any other Denver area owners yet on this board?

·
Registered
467 Posts
WOW!! great pics and the video of you crossing the river!! I am impressed. So far you are the only person to do such a thing i know of yet. I havn't had the time to do an serious off-roading. Great work!!...

13240ft that is up there, good thing you don't have a carb LOL

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
GREAT PICTURES

Hey Aircooled,

Thanks for the pictures.... they're great. With you living in the south-metro area of Denver, we should get together sometime and go play in the mountains with our Touaregs.

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Rush! What color is your Touareg and which dealership did it come from?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Blue Silver V8 with all the options available except OnStar.
It was the only one I could find with everything. I'll post some pictures when I get a minute.

I hate to bash a dealer, but I'm still _very_ unhappy with Osborn VW. They have "some" nice people but they did some No-No's that I just can't forgive.

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me started on Osborne. They would not take off their nameplate off of the back and LOST my sale because of it. In retrospect, it sound like it was the best mistake they could have made, for me at least. I bought from Tynan's and it seems to be good so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same here

Same here on the dealer badge.

They looked at me like I was on crack when I told them to take the badge off.

I could go on and on, but the long story short... They took the badge off and put TPMS in my second set of wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Treg Owner in Parker, CO

I purchased a silver V-10 about a month ago and live in Parker, CO.
Love it so far. Only problem is that you can't really hear the rear speakers. If I fade all the way to the back, they work, but just not near what I expected from a 300 Watt 10 speaker system. The dealer (Mountain States) says they are all like that (biased heavily to the front).
My dealer experience was very good, overall. I didn't expect them to deal with me on what I think was their last 04 V-10, but they did.
I've gotten as high as 30.5 mpg at a steady 65 mph. Normal along the same route is around 25 though, so may have had a tailwind. Lots better than my 95 Bronco 5.8L.

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the Touareg family! I'm sure you are loving the V10. It is the envy of most every owner here! We should meet up some time to do some VAG-COM modifications that can make the ownership experience much more rewarding. Ask TREGinginCO (which I think live near you), he is happy to have the DRL's OFF.

We can also turn off the 'Accept' nag screen on your NAV radio.

Again, welcome!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks, aircooled. I've been reding a LOT of your posting here and on the VWVortex (cool pics of the snow the other day, BTW). Your posts have been very helpful on many topics.
I have gotten several things that I haven't had time to install, yet - Bumper bar, covered dash bin, cable to hook my iPod up to the AUX A/V input, K&N air filters. Hopefully will do those this weekend.
I still have less than 2k miles on it. I have read a lot about the VAG possibilities. The top of my list would be getting rid of the accept prompt. But doesn't that affect other things? I thought it had something to do with changing it to a euro setting that would alter other functions (in something I read a few weeks ago). I could be wrong. Anyway, I want to wait a little while before I change anything like that to make sure I get a couple things fixed at the dealer (so he can't blame the VAG changes).
Wish I had been able to join you on your treg off road trip this past summer. I will have to get better tires and a full size spare before I do any serious off-roading, though. Also, have to heal up a bit more. I had back surgery a couple months ago and am limited on what I can do for now (otherwise all those parts would already be installed). In fact, that is why I bought the treg in the first place. My 95 Bronco just rode too rough for my back right now. Other than that, I loved the Bronco. It's going to be hard to part with it, but I just can't justify keeping it now that I have the treg. I offered to trade it in on the treg, but their offer was an insult.
I may have seen the guy with the green treg here in Parker a couple of times, but haven't talked to him, yet.
Anyway, thanks for the response. I hope to meet you some time in the future on a trail run somewhere.
Chip

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Chip,

Do you live in Stroh Ranch? If so, that's your TOUAREG I saw a couple of weeks ago. I saw the V10TDI badge on the back and immediately posted on here looking to see if that was your vehicle.

I have the Reed Green V6. I have had my DRL's vagged by Aircooled and couldn't be happier. I am now in the process of ordering new lights for the front (white parking lights, silver (blink orange) turn signals and will be getting xenon matching flash-to-pass halogens). The reason I'm doing this is... once done I would like to have my high beams vagged to do what is affectionately called "The Six Light Salute." This is when you can have your fogs, xenons and halogens on when you turn on your high beams. :joy:

I'll keep an eye out for you and introduce myself if we run into each other (not literally). My wife and I are in Las Vegas right now and will be making our way back to Colorado, probably by Saturday.

·
Registered
94 Posts
TREGinginCO,
Yes, I do live in Stroh Ranch so it was prbably me you saw. I've seen at least two different green Touareg around here. Just checked the color chart. I think I have seen yours several times, now, and the darker green one only once.
I've seen some of your posts online and have been meaning to reply to one. Had also read many of aircooled posts. Finally found the place where he was asking if there were any other tregs around and replied to his last night.
Sorry I missed your post about me. I don't get much time to read on here, just a little at a time. I'll keep an eye out for you next week. Feel free to follow me if you spot me. Be glad to meet another owner.
So far the only VAG-COM mod I would like to make it getting rid of that #$%& accept menu on the Nav/radio. It drives me nuts (short drive, though). I think it is a hazard if you turn on the radio while driving and have to focus on reaching all the way over to hit the accept button.
I am really looking forward to getting it offroad next year once the snow clears. I won't be able to do any this year for a couple reasons - need real spare and something to carry it on (dealer thinks the rear carrier can be retrofitted to mine once it is out, but not sure if that is true, but I'd rather have it there than on the roof). Plus I'll need real tires. And I need to heal up a bit more. I had back surgery and can't handle the rough/fun stuff, yet.
Look forward to meeting you. Have a safe trip home.
Chip

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chip, we'll have to organize a small 'on-road' drive soon, and I can easily get you 'vagged' for that nag screen and others if you want. If you even have a 'day off' I live in beautiful Evergreen, only a short 1 hour drive from you. I'll get you all vagged up, then we can sit on the deck and watch the elk bugle!

What ever you do, don't the TREGinginCO test drive your car. It will spoil him forever!

As for the tire carrier, I am 99% positive that it can be added after the fact. It will require a new rear bumper housing. I recently added a tow hitch to my car, and all of the mounts points and other related hardware are there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
aircooled,
That sounds like a good idea. It will have to be a few weeks out, though. As I mentioned, my back ain't a happy camper, yet. Also, my wife just had surgery, so I can't leave her by herself much. My son is off track so he looks after her while I am at work. I actually work west of 470 off of Deer Creek Canyon.
I've been through Evergreen many times. I used to ride a motorcycle, but the back problems killed that about a year and a half ago. Loved going up that way. Actually, when we moved here in 96, I wanted to live in Evergreen (Conifer was my 2nd choice - looked at many houses in both areas), but the boss liked Parker...
Thanks for the offers. I hope to be able to take you up on at least the accept screen. Does the mod alter anything other than that one screen? I have complained to the dealer about the heavy front bias on the sound system. They say it is as designed. I don't want to alter anything until I pursue that issue a bit further. I got the ref to the lack of Bass output on one of your posts with the TBs and am taking a list of TBs (including that one) for the dealer to check on my next (second) visit. They had to order a part for the center console lid. The latch wasn't working right. I am waiting to get around 2500 miles on it before I take it back to get that fixed and get an early oil change, and ask about the other TBs. I want to pursue the lack of rear sound with VWOA if they can't find anything from the TB to fix. Maybe my 03 Mustang with the Mach 460 sound system has spoiled me, but I have read other posts on one of these boards that indicate I am not the only one to notice the "problem". Anyway, I want to wait until I pull htat string as far as I can before I alter anything. The dealer made a point of telling me that most of the problems they have with the Touaregs come from folks messing with the computer settings, so I don't want them to be able to use that on me if I get rid of the accept nag.
Do you work downhill in Denver somewhere? Maybe we could meet for a short lunch sometime and talk more.
Again, thanks.
Chip

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chip, the rear sound kind of sucks, but I have gotten used to it. I had the TSB done, and I don't notice any difference. The biggest problem is that the rear tweeters are really limited in range, and top off at about 14kHz, vs 17khz or more for the fronts (my hearing stops at about 17kHz). Someone on VWVortex mentioned that adding new tweeters, in his case Boston Acoustics, made a big difference.

As for the NAV, you can turn off the Accept screen, but keep the seatbelt chime, or you can get rid of both. The down side is that if you are an avid AM listener, the radio tuning get screwed up.
More info here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/touareg.html

I understand about not wanting to have too many things changed when you need to go into the dealership. I had my dealership threaten to void my electrical warranty for no good reason at all. Instead, I moved to a dealership that is smarter and doesn't mind the mods.

Lastly, I am fortunate to work for myself up here. My commute usually consists going down two floors to work. :) I'd gladly meet up with you on the west side of town some time soon for lunch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm in the Evergreen / Conifer area and I'm considering one of the V10's that is in town right now. You guys have any idea what a good price would be for a fully loaded (say $66,614.00 MSRP) would be? How's your later VIN No. V10? Any of the "known problems" show up? BTW, I found out when I was looking at Doc_C's V10 that you can call VW Customer Service and give them the VIN No. and they can tell you all the TSB's that apply to that car (maybe you already know that). Any options on who is the better service dealer in town?

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dusty, by 'in town' are you talking about the foot hills area or metro denver?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dusty,
I'd have to go look through the paperwork to find out what VIN range mine, is, but I think it was one of the last. It does not have the short key fob transmit problem, so either it was built without the problem or it was fixed before I bought it.
The dealer I bought from was Mountain States. I had also shopped MacDonald, but they did not have any V-10's left. I think mine was the last 04 that Mountains States had. I didn't expect them to deal much on it due to the limited number of V-10's imported, but they did. Mine listed for between 66 and 67 and I got it for 61. I was very pleased with the sale experience. Jury is still out on the service department. No problems so far, but as you may have read, I am not satisfied with the stereo. It is biased towards the front pretty heavily. Dealer says they are all like that - that is is how they designed it. If that is true, I will take it up with VWOA to see what they say. Only other problems i have had was one time the throttle seemed to go almost dead. Flat on the floor I had trouble maintaining 40 mph. No warning light or error message. No bucking, just no power. What I didn't think to look at was what gear it was in. It may have failed to downshift, but not sure. after a few minutes trying to get it going I stopped, shut it down, waited a couple minutes and started it back up. It was fine, then and has not reoccurred. Called the dealer ant they had not heard of one doing that before. The only other thing is a rubbing/groaning sound that occurs when accelerating slowly through 13 mph. Sounds like something binding. Does not seem to do it in left turns, but does it going straight or in right turns. It is intermittant and usually is more likely to do it when it is cold. Haven't taken it back in for either of those, yet, but will soon. I did have a problem with the center console latch. They ordered a new one and it is at the shop, now. I am waiting to get a few more miles on it before I take it in.
Do you have the number to call to find out the TSBs that apply? I've been building a list to take with me on my next visit.
Good luck finding a V-10. I was told that the dealers won't get any 05 V-10s for a couple months.
As far as dealer service, I have only been to Mountains States once. My past experience with other brands is that the service department can make all the difference. I've bought cars and had great sales support, but horrible service (not VW). I'll find out how this goes over time, I guess. This is my first new VW purchase (but not first VW). So far they have been nice. I just wish they had a better answer for the radio. For that kind of money, I expected better sound from all speakers, not just the front (which sound ok).

Aircooled,
Did the fix the did on yours involve replacing an amplifier?
Chip

·
Registered
114 Posts
Aircooled,

I'm speaking of the 8 V10's that are on dealer lots up and down the front range right now. If you go to VW.com and look through the dealer inventories you will find 8 V10's on lots from Greeley to Pueblo right now. They just keep coming out of the woodwork.

I am located off N. Turkey Creek road / highway 285 in Evergreen Highlands subdivision.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts