Club Touareg Forum banner

Deer Collision - Totalled?

13K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  SaVAGeSoot 
#1 ·
I finally bought this wonderful Touareg, 2014 R-Line. I have had no issues and it drives like a dream until last night. A deer decided to run across the highway and i hit it at highway speeds, prob 55-60mph. Thankfully nobody was hurt and I didn't get smashed when he car just shut down on the highway.

I am wondering if anyone has had damage to their Touareg and can determine if this will be totaled, rough thoughts. I really don't want it back due to the amount of damage. I know I will lose financially, but I doubt it will ever ride the same and would rather start over.

It is currently at a VW certified Body Shop at my servicing dealership. I have read different threads and spoke with numerous people all with different thoughts. Just trying to see if someone has had a similar experience and can share.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Crash system cut all electrical power when the airbags are deployed.

My best guess is 8K to 10K in damage. Probably 4K to 5K if the airbags had not deployed. A good body shop can make it as good as new. A bad shop... Well, just make sure you go to a good shop.

Be patient. It will take 4 to 6 weeks just to get all the parts.

#5 ·
I'm guessing more damage than you thing. I had a similar accident in my 2006. One airbag went off. Everything on my 2006 came to 16K damage and it looked not even as half as bad as this one. Not sure in your state but in Ohio if the damage is more than 75% of the true value of the car then it's totaled.

#7 ·
I'd have said it is perfectly repairable since it looks to be just a PPP fix - panels, parts and paint - but no chassis work.

It will be interesting to see what the loss adjuster comes up with.

#8 ·
IJust trying to see if someone has had a similar experience and can share.
I hit a deer straight on December 2014. No air bag deployment, less, but similar damage. New radiator supports, left headlight assembly, pulled wrinkle out of front left fender, new grille, badge, bumper facia, trim clips for wheel trim.

$6K for the repair. Looks like you took a harder hit (appears to be straight on), but it's highly unlikely its anywhere close to being totaled. With airbags, you are probably looking at a $12 - 15K repair. A good shop will make it look like new again. It took over 4 weeks to get the parts.

Attachments

#9 ·
Some insurance companies just total vehicles if the airbags fire.

#10 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback, this is a great community. I will definitely share the estimate which i suspect to be high, I bet the headlight is a few hundred alone plus any other engine work, radiator for sure and anything else close.

I don't know the actual value but 75-80% of the value has to be around 30K. Fingers crossed that it doesn't get repaired.

#13 ·
really don't want it back due to the amount of damage. I know I will lose financially, but I doubt it will ever ride the same and would rather start over.

It is currently at a VW certified Body Shop at my servicing dealership.
Thanks
I think you would be surprised how good a certified shop can bring a smashed car back to original condition.

Been there, but with a Jetta, you would never know after repairs. I wanted to unload too at the time, but it would have been the wrong decision. My airbags didn't deploy, but because someone side swiped me I got a new complete side (front to back) including new door skins and rear quarter panel replaced. Looked amazing, like it never happened.

#14 ·
I had a woman, 18 yo girl, back into me while backing out of her driveway, she kept on backing and backing and when I had beeped the horn to warn her of how close she was, she stepped on the gas and backed right into the front of my T3. No airbags got set off and no headlights needed to be replaced, but the damage totaled almost $6,000. Nuts!

#17 ·
It is slightly pushed back, not rubbing but the gap is small. First estimate between auto body and adjuster is 15K, should be getting inside shop to disassemble and see what else is damaged. He expects a few supplements as the process starts. Based on first look they are saying no suspension impact, just cosmetic. We will see what happens when they take it apart.

So far the repair was written to use all VW OEM parts will be used except the AC Condensor.

#18 ·
How long have you had it? You might get more for it that you think if it is declared a total loss.

Here's my thread on a not dissimilar amount of damage when I rear ended someone from a stop. Initial estimate was about the same as yours, then they started opening things up. I forget, but it was $25-$28k when my insurance company declared it totaled. I got full purchase price back.

Every state though has different calculations for when a vehicle is considered totaled. I'd look into yours.

Best of luck!

#19 ·
I have had it just under a year, next week will be 1 year. I really want it to be totaled, keeping my fingers crossed that they find something once they take it apart. Not sure what could be damaged bone the AC Condenser and Radiator, but there has to be something expensive back there.

What made the damage go up so high on yours once they opened it up ?

Thanks

#21 ·
So far $23,800 and they won't total it because they are telling me the value is too high. So far the insurance company has approved all supplements with no issues and all VW parts have been used. All cosmetic, no frame damage. I really thought it would be totaled, hopefully it will look and ride as good.

Supposedly, it is the only VW certified body shop in the state.. We'll see.

#23 ·
You could look at my accident. Click here More damage to the back then the front. I also (was told by Gerber Insurance) that I had air bag deployment. Seat belts have airbags? anyway it's been 2 years and 3 months after I picked it up (took a month repair). No issues with Touareg, and VW sold me an extended warrenty after the accident. If they fix yours as if it was new you are stilled hosed because of airbag deployment. As for me, I plan on taking it to the end of the warranty (100,000).

Good luck!

#25 ·
Last year after My 1st weekend with the boat, we were coming back from Holland Michigan, a deer committed suicide into the front end of my 2014 reg.
We were doing about 70mph while towing a 4500lb boat. The damage came to about $32,000.00 usd. After fighting with my Insurance company, they still wanted to fix it.
I was not to happy, because as we all know, no matter how bad the accident, our Vehicles are never the same after.

But thankfully I was lucky to find a Authorized VW repair shop and they did a fabulous job. I usually would sell the vehicle after the wreck, but I decided to keep that one. I had for about a year, but there is nothing like have a Touareg with no blemishes

#28 ·
I'm really surprised they wanted to fix it. That is a big bill to swallow for them. Usually close to 70 percent of a replacement cost they don't even bother. Makes me wonder what they appraised the value at before the accident. Hope your not planning on selling anytime soon. That Carfax will look horrible to a potential buyer. Good luck

#29 ·
I BOUGHT A 2017 TOURAGE IN JULY 2023 AND A NO FULT ACCIDENT HAPPENED AND THE AT FULT PARTY INSURANCE IS SAYINGN THE SUV NEEDED TO TOTAL, I LOVE THIS CAR AND HEARTBROKEN , ALSO HAVE LOAN LEFT TO PAY $27,000. THE INSURANCE IS PAYING ONLY $26,500 AND I WILL LOOSE MY DOWN PAYMENT AND THE BELOVED CAR FOR OTHER PERSONS NEGLIGENCE. I WISH I COULD GET IT REPAIRED AND SAVE AS ITS A GEM OF A CAR. PLEASE ADVICE ME ON IF YOU KNOW A PLACE THAST CAN REPIRE THIS HEAVILY DAMAGE SIDE OF THE CAR.
Tire Car Wheel Cloud Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire