Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a newly registered member, but have been lurking for a while trying to figure out what's wrong with my new-to-me 2010 Touareg V6 TDI with about 64,000 miles on it. I'm hoping it's tires, and not something major like the center driveshaft bearing I've read about.

Backstory: The car was purchased about one year ago with 8,000 fewer miles. It was maintained at the VW stealership every 10,000 miles, and in like new condition. It had Blizzak snow tires on it which howled like crazy, so I had those replaced with Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus/ All season tires.

A few weeks later I noticed a deep bass rumble that fades in and out like a slow pulse while driving between 45-55 mph. It's difficult to notice unless the road is smooth, and I have to be cruising steadily at speed on a flat road. There is a slight vibration that can be felt in the seat as the rumble noise pulses in and out. The noise and slight shimmy feel the same no matter where you sit in the car. After a rear brake job I took the opportunity to put the rear tires on the front to see if that made any difference, but it did not.

Taking a look under the car nothing looks out of place, however, a small piece of felt-like material (must be for sound proofing?) was touching the drive shaft. It must have been there for a while, because the shaft was shiny where it was rubbing and feels slightly worn. My first thought was the driveshaft might be out of balance now, but then I thought maybe this acted like a lathe wearing it equally all around so perhaps it's not.

Do you think my symptoms are more in line with a tire issue, a driveshaft out of balance, or center carrier bearing? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I should also mention I've put the car in neutral as well as downshifted/upshifted to see if the noise changes. Doesn't seem to make a difference as far as I can tell. Seems speed dependent.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It could also be wheel bearings. I doubt it's the drive shaft center carrier bearing as that fails with a bang.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You must run 4 IDENTICAL tires, same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern and no more than 2/32nds tread depth difference across the same axle and no more than 3/32ths difference between front and rear axles.

I had tires that developed a similar drone at a similar speed on smooth roads when they were half worn which is the point when I bin tires anyway.

It is easy to inspect the centre bearing: read up on the loads of threads on it. It can be fixed for nothing or $2,000 and prices in between. The centre bearing often lets go big time but not always so you might be getting an early warning.

It might be a wheel bearing but the drone would be more noticeable when turning left or right as the lateral load on the duff bearing creases. Left turn noise points to right side beating and vice versa.

Dealer servicing doesn't stop a car going wrong!

·
Registered
3 Posts
G'day. Yes an Aussie. I have the same type of noise. At 80kph or 50 mph is a speed related vibration and feels likes its under the car.
Happened even on brand new road Tyra on new smooth roads. More common on on ramps up hill accelerating to 100 kph or 60 mph.

Never any other time.

Curious. Sounds like a bearing to me. In old Aussie holders ( GM product) it was as common as the sunrise. Usually was a wheel bearing.
Sometimes it would last for 50,000 miles before giving in.

If you solve it post the cause

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still haven't figured out what the noise/vibration is, and I think I might just wait to see if it gets worse for an easier diagnosis. Plus, with the diesel emissions scandal and upcoming settlement it might not make sense chasing the issue. Coincidentally, I have the same thing happening with a 2015 Silverado 2500HD. The dealership says it's "normal." They swapped tires, and used some type of scope to sense the vibrations. According to the dealer, GMC says don't try to fix it since the vibration/hum isn't bad enough. Annoying. I just don't want it to cause some expensive component of the vehicle to prematurely fail on either vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts