Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't jinx myself or anyone else by observing this.

I have been reading this board for some months. I began in June prior to my early July purchase of a V8 T-reg and continuing through today. I experienced 3 very minor glitches (step motor error report, tire pressure error report, and seatbelt fault report), all related to false warnings, all reported by others.

Now nearly 5000 miles into ownership my glitches are gone. The repairs seem to be effective and have not re-occured. I don't see new reports of these. Nor do I see reports of new problems. In short the problem rate seems to be falling rather dramatically. Compare the posts from the early part of the year to today. Big difference.

Again it is possible our engines will start blowing up or something new will pop up, but there is reason to think that we are now on the downslope of the teething problems.

Do others sense the same thing?

· Registered
14 Posts
I agree...I have owned for 15 months & I'm just now starting to notice some of the same problems many have already resolved. My T-Reg is in shop next week to have 7 adjustments made. I have no major complaints. Except I hate my floor mats they have these pop-off buttons that don't pop-off easily & now where these pop off's pop on the carpet is fraying. I'm hoping the dealer will replace these torn car mats (minor).

· Registered
1,294 Posts
I agree too. I had quite a few small problems from the start but they all have been worked out (slowly that is). I just hit 8,000 today and the car is holding up great. I hope that VW has worked out a lot of the kinks for the 2005's.

List of repairs to date:

All known TSBs including TPM flash
Broken glove box shelf latch (replaced)
Mis-molded lug nut causing cover to be loose and rattle (replaced)
Blown fuse caused by loose headlamp assembly (fixed)
On Star system lost programming (repaired twice and works now)
Sound on Nav system died, worked but no audio (Nav had to reset)

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,304 Posts
I've noticed a large dropoff in problems. The only thing I've noticed lately is people bringing up problems that are now considered to be old for those of us who've had TOUAREGs from the beginning.

I think a lot of that is because there is now a supply of used TOUAREGs that haven't been completely updated.... now hitting the streets under new ownership.

· Registered
18 Posts
Decrease in problem reporting

It is absolutly true , we have a geat car in design , performance , comfort .
For me I have 8500 KM , without any problem .
:-({|=
Did any one install car starter yet , your experience please

· Registered
161 Posts
I have been through the following;
2 Tire pressure monitors - 4 months no problems.
2 sticking passenger door handles - fixed.
3 peices of cracked wood trim - replaced.
Squaling breakes - its the brake compound IMHO. Tradeoff for great performance.
gearbox clunk between park and drive on startup - my first auto tranny, i dont shift as soon as the engine starts.
After today all TSBs and recalls up to date.

And judging from our newer members/owners, there doesnt seem to be any new problems on the horizon. So if one can weather these first year problems. It seems that we have happy trails ahead.

By the way i may have a new problem... anyone have chipping/peeling paint on thier interior surfaces? I noticed a small chip on my window switch. The dealer is replacing, i hope this is isolated
Good Luck and happy driving

· Registered
14 Posts
"Chipping/peeling paint". The black buttons on the steering wheel for radio volume & the black buttons to adjst the A/C fan speed are wearing down to the white plastic-Very ugly. My 13 yr old son suggested I get a black sharpie & cover up the break throughs-I'll bring it up w/ my service rep next week.

· Registered
82 Posts
Interior paint peeling...

I also experienced some paint peeling around the heated-seat temperature control (driver's side) panel. My dealership promptly ordered a new panel and replaced it.

Over 10,000km and no "new" problems. Just ones that have been discussed such as... one of my fog light has condensation in it, wood trim on the driver's door cracked, and rattling sound coming from glovebox door. Dealer is replacing everything. Don't know what to do about the poor GPS mapping of Canada issue (road mapping runs out at about 200km east of Quebec City). Mapping does not cover all of Canada like it is suppose to. Informed dealer and they are talking to VW about it.

e.

· Registered
60 Posts
TREGinginCO said:
I've noticed a large dropoff in problems. The only thing I've noticed lately is people bringing up problems that are now considered to be old for those of us who've had TOUAREGs from the beginning.

I think a lot of that is because there is now a supply of used TOUAREGs that haven't been completely updated.... now hitting the streets under new ownership.
Well, I'm a new owner, bought mine in May, and have had a ton of minor issues, but I'm hoping that my latest bring in to the dealership will fix all of these for good. Yes, a lot of the issues were common ones that affected many of you, but that doesn't make them less annoying.

· Registered
29 Posts
I'm also a relatively new owner - end of April. Almost all of the problems I'm having have been listed in these forums, but the problems didn't start until after 5,000 miles and, unfortunately, they're compounding. I think I was more tolerant of them before because my service tech was great to work with - now he's giving me VW's "that's normal" excuses for things that I know are not. I'm waiting a week to cool off before I take the car in again. I'm also in communication with my original sales person now - hopefully he'll straighten out things on their end. In the mean time I just pray every morning that the car will start.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Don't loose confidence. It will all get worked out, maybe slower than we would all like but I am sure it will be fine. You have a lot to be happy about despite a few new car problems. Think of all the people that would love to have a Touareg but can't.

I feel lucky just to own one.

· Registered
29 Posts
I know that one way or another it's going to get worked out. I also know that I'm very fortunate to have the car and am the first kid on the block to own one. However, it doesn't make it any less frustrating when I'm trying to get to work and get kids to school and my car is dead or in the shop.

It would be much easier if I wasn't being brushed off as an annoyance or being given some "that's normal" baloney when I know from these forums that they're not being truthful. If they'd just be forthright about the problems rather than trying to avoid the expense, it would make it a lot easier to be patient.

I feel badly for those people who do not have access to this website and are feeling that they've just got to live with it. From reading these forums, I knew to ask them to replace the stepper motor. The rep told me that it was a good thing that I had that information because they have been told not to replace them unless the customer specifically asks for it. I have to know the remedy when I bring in a problem? That's just unreasonable. Maybe it's my particular rep; maybe he's frustrated because he has to deal with a lot of angry people; maybe he's getting heat from VW to keep repair costs down or maybe he doesn't like that I'm becoming an educated customer - but I'm the one who forked over more than $40K for a new car. I understand there are going to be bugs, but just fix them and don't try to talk me into believing that I should accept them.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now but I hope it's resolved soon (and I promise I'll stop whining).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.