Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm a bit of a newbie here, but I have tried the search and it didn't come up with anything. I've got a 2003 V10 and have been taking some data from the OBDII port, the update rate is too slow for what I want to do so I'm planning on connecting straight in to the CAN bus and taking data directly from there. Does anybody have any experience of doing this? Particularly I'm after addresses and scaling factors for any engine related parameters:

Load
RPM
Boost pressure
Water temperature
Inlet air temperature

Any help appreciated. If nobody has anything I'll get stuck in myself and report what I find.

Regards,

Notts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct, it is definately not on the OBDII port. I'm going to pull it off from the connector block which goes in to the back of the sat-nav. I've run a cable from there through to the glove box so I can hide the cable when it's not in use. I should have it wired up tomorrow for some initial results. I have a feeling it might well just be J1939 protocol.

Notts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have made some progress, I have found that I can get engine speed and steering position at 10Hz, which might do for what I want. If anybody is interested I will post a breakdown of the messages soon along with some power curves.

Notts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg Moonlight Blue
5,701 Posts
pls do. what kind of tool are you using to detect?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using PCAN explorer from Peak Systems. I have stored trace files, which are basically a text file of all the CAN bus data. I then load these files in to Excel and try to make sense of the data on the different addresses. The file data looks like this:

; Start time: 16/09/2009 06:08:08.4481
; PCAN-Net: Testnet
;
; Columns description:
; ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
; +-Message Number
; | +Time Offset (ms)
; | | +Type
; | | | +ID (hex)
; | | | | +Data Length Code
; | | | | | +Data Bytes (hex) ...
; | | | | | |
;---+-- ----+---- --+-- ----+--- + -+ -- -- -- -- -- -- --
1) 4.9 Rx 02C1 5 00 00 00 00 02
2) 10.2 Rx 062F 4 01 80 80 FF
3) 11.5 Rx 0271 2 11 80
4) 13.3 Rx 0351 8 D5 01 00 1E 0C 00 8A 18
5) 14.4 Rx 0453 6 00 00 10 95 00 00
6) 15.5 Rx 062A 8 EF 48 98 53 00 7B 00 80
7) 29.3 Rx 05C3 3 FF 00 00
8) 30.4 Rx 0353 6 2F 8C 09 00 7F 3A

There are a total of 100000 records in the file. On the last record here, from address 0353, the RPM is encoded as 8C 09, which gives a value of 0x98C = 2444. Divide by four to get RPM = 611.
I have found the messages for displaying information on the MFD in the instrument cluster and have identified the steering information and vehicle speed. There are tons of messages which I haven't a clue about. If anybody wants to look at a file to see if they can make any sense of it just let me know and I'll email it.

Notts.

·
Administrator
4,364 Posts
What is your goal? Just the paramater monitoring that is outlined above?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am trying to log the RPM and manifold pressure so that along with vehicle speed I can calculate the vehicle power and torque. I am then going to have the vehicle 'chipped' and repeat the tests. This will verify or disprove the claims of the person who is doing the mods to the vehicle. Also, I've only just got the car so I'm having a bit of fun with it :)

Notts.

·
Administrator
4,364 Posts
While learning the CAN-BUS sounds like a noble and challenging experience, a windows laptop with a Ross Tech VAG-COM can measure all of the values you outlined above and calculate HP and torque on the fly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I didn't realise it could do that. I have got one of those so I'll have a play and see what results I get. I also want to create some videos with overlays of the graphics showing the power curves and acceleration times, to do that I really need the data in a particular format. It will be very useful for comparison though. My first power plot showed a peak power of around 310hp, so it's looking promising so far. I should have more updates on Friday.

Notts.

·
Administrator
4,364 Posts

·
Administrator
4,364 Posts
Depending on the version you get, it can read both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
V10 power test run

I have finally got the power run completed. I've done the video with overlay which I'll get uploaded on to youtube shortly. Next job is to get emaps to remap the vehicle and repeat the test.
This was done with RPM data at 10Hz from CAN and boost level at 10Hz from OBDII interface, vehicle speed from GPS and accelerometer based measurement system.

NottsTreg

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PM me with your email address if anybody wants to see the video of this, I haven't got my youtube username sorted out yet so can't post it there. It's only 2MB.

NottsTreg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts