Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just joined. I know I'm a little late the the Touareg off road world, so I'm sure someone has asked this somewhere and I just cant find it, so forgive me.
I have a 2010 TDI, standard suspension (not air) with 60k miles, riding on 275/45R19s, which came with the vehicle from the VW dealership when I bought it used.

Tires were brand new so I decided to wait for them to wear down before replacing. Now that it's time to replace, I'm wondering what you all recommend. I want something a little bigger, maybe BF Goodrich KO2s, or something all terrain, with an offset rim maybe. Don't plan on doing anything crazy, but want to be able to do some basic off roading while camping, etc. So my question, is do I keep the 19 rims, get all terrain tires and get some spacers, since I want a wider stance? Or do you recommend new rims, like 17s or 18s with an offset? And then what do you think would be the biggest tire I could fit with the stock suspension/without lifting it?
I posted this as well in the off reading section before seeing this section for suspension/wheels/tires. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey bud,

Welcome! I’ve done a lot of searching around as I’m also in the midst of changing my tires. I got 2014 TDI with 275/45/20. And, I believe yours with the stock oem tires are suppose to be 255/60/19s on 7.5” x 19” rims. I’m guessing you’ll have more choices with those sizes, and I’d look at the Falken Wildpeak AT3. From what I’ve been researching, it is an excellent all around tire. They are cheaper than the K02s but still on par, if not better than the K02s.

Cheers,

Ron

·
Registered
42 Posts
No problem, and I made a mistake. Your original size is 275/45-19. I'm not sure what the maximum diameter for 2010 model but you can use tire calculator to get a sense(and some searching) to see your maximum diameter. I found some folks say, for my T3 TDI is 30.5" and reg V6 is 31.5" but some folks claim no rub when they are @ 31.5" on TDI?

I put in 265/50/19 ( for yours) and get 2% difference, vs 275/45/19,so you can def start with that and see what options there are for that size? I heard not as many options for the 19" vs the 18". But, I guess it all depends on what you need and want from a tire and just make sure load rating is suffice. For mine, it should be XL. But def check out the Wildpeak AT3s.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts in 255/55/19 and love them. Straight across swap for vast improvement in off-road ability. Pretty decent in mud, good in snow, excellent in rain. Quiet on the road. I'm on my second set, very happy with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts in 255/55/19 and love them. Straight across swap for vast improvement in off-road ability. Pretty decent in mud, good in snow, excellent in rain. Quiet on the road. I'm on my second set, very happy with them.
Really? You kept the stock rims? I was planning on getting new rims with an offset in order to get a slightly wider stance, but I guess I could keep the stock rims...thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Apart from the hole in rhe middle which needs to be accurate for fairly obvious reasons, tire sizs are nominal and the overall diameter can vary between tires of the sane size but in different models abd manufacturers by as much as half an inch, especially on aggressive treads.

I suggest you use Tire Rack to double check actual measurements for your particular choice of tire.

31.5 inches has long been regarded as the maximum OD on the Generation 1 and 2 Touaregs which gIves about a 1 and 1/4 inch lift over the standard OD in all OEM wheel/tire combinations which is 29 inches give or take a fraction.

Bear in mind that bigger AT tires may weigh quite a bit more than the standard road biased sizes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to do anything wild. I wanted to be able to swap back to a street tire, and I don't have room to store extra wheels right now. I put alot of road miles on my vehicle, so I wanted a quiet tire, but I also go into the back of beyond, and didn't want to be stranded/fight the tires. So the Contis are a good route for that.
Just wanted to let you know the option does exist. You're not gonna get the looks of an oversized, wheel well filling tire, but capable? Yes.

Really? You kept the stock rims? I was planning on getting new rims with an offset in order to get a slightly wider stance, but I guess I could keep the stock rims...thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apart from the hole in rhe middle which needs to be accurate for fairly obvious reasons, tire sizs are nominal and the overall diameter can vary between tires of the sane size but in different models abd manufacturers by as much as half an inch, especially on aggressive treads.

I suggest you use Tire Rack to double check actual measurements for your particular choice of tire.

31.5 inches has long been regarded as the maximum OD on the Generation 1 and 2 Touaregs which gIves about a 1 and 1/4 inch lift over the standard OD in all OEM wheel/tire combinations which is 29 inches give or take a fraction.

Bear in mind that bigger AT tires may weigh quite a bit more than the standard road biased sizes.
Is 31.5 the biggest recommended for a Gen 2 with standard suspension? I do NOT have air suspension, and don't want to go so big to wear it rubs. I have read a lot by individuals here that certain sizes can fit a Gen 2 with air suspension, but I have not seen anyone state the biggest you can go with a NON-air suspension Gen 2. I also understand that the width of the tire also plays a role in rubbing.

What I really want is to go with a taller and wider AT tire, WITHOUT having to mess with a lift, that will not rub. I have a buddy that has a tire shop a couple hours away, I might just have to go to him and see if he can put on some different sizes and see what I think lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you have someone willing to mount and un-mount a dozen tires, that's your best bet. Don't forget to take it off the lift to test rubbing.
I think the biggest issue is going to be the lack of choice with 19" rims

What I really want is to go with a taller and wider AT tire, WITHOUT having to mess with a lift, that will not rub. I have a buddy that has a tire shop a couple hours away, I might just have to go to him and see if he can put on some different sizes and see what I think lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have someone willing to mount and un-mount a dozen tires, that's your best bet. Don't forget to take it off the lift to test rubbing.
I think the biggest issue is going to be the lack of choice with 19" rims
Exactly, which is why I'm considering going with a smaller rim as well, 18 maybe even 17.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
17" will give you a lot more options imo. My '10 came with 19" wheels when it was received by the dealer after the order was completed. I had him swap them out for 17" because I knew I wanted to do AT tires on it . I am at the 30.5" OD with minimal rubbing on slow speed turning. It rubs the intercooler vents in the front wheel wells. You could do the larger OD, but it may rub more and more often. Reason I always said 30.5" would be about the max without modification to those vents. I run a 245/70/17 on my '10 and that size works out well for me. I've been running that size on both of my Tregs for years, many different type of AT tires. I like narrower for snow use here in UT. I don't like wide tires in snow. I don't switch mine out ever. A benefit to my size/OD is the speedometer is dead on accurate now and the side effect of that is the odometer is slowed down a little. If I check mileage I need to add the 5% it is off to get an accurate mileage reading. Speed has been verified by GPS as well speed check signs. Been accurate ever since doing that size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
17" will give you a lot more options imo. My '10 came with 19" wheels when it was received by the dealer after the order was completed. I had him swap them out for 17" because I knew I wanted to do AT tires on it . I am at the 30.5" OD with minimal rubbing on slow speed turning. It rubs the intercooler vents in the front wheel wells. You could do the larger OD, but it may rub more and more often. Reason I always said 30.5" would be about the max without modification to those vents. I run a 245/70/17 on my '10 and that size works out well for me. I've been running that size on both of my Tregs for years, many different type of AT tires. I like narrower for snow use here in UT. I don't like wide tires in snow. I don't switch mine out ever. A benefit to my size/OD is the speedometer is dead on accurate now and the side effect of that is the odometer is slowed down a little. If I check mileage I need to add the 5% it is off to get an accurate mileage reading. Speed has been verified by GPS as well speed check signs. Been accurate ever since doing that size.
Thanks Yeti, I do think I want to drop to a 17" rim. You would'nt happen to have a picture of your Tregs with the 17" and tires would you? And what AT tire your running if you dont mine me asking?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I put porsche cayenne rims on my Treg for off road.
17 x 7.5j
5 x 130
ET53
Faulken wildpeaks 255 65 17
The brake calipers are close, but it all fits fine.
My road tyres are Pirelli scorpions 275 45 20
On the standard 20inch vw rim.
Difference between the twosets is 1.3% overall OD from memory.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
Thanks Yeti, I do think I want to drop to a 17" rim. You would'nt happen to have a picture of your Tregs with the 17" and tires would you? And what AT tire your running if you dont mine me asking?
Currently running Hankook Dynapro ATM's. Most current photo I have atm. If you need something else let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're still thinking about keeping the 19's, check out Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails. They just came out last year. I think they are lighter duty than the AT3 and more for crossovers/CUVs. They weigh less than many AT tires and have a high speed rating. Wildpeak AT Trail

I put these on last fall in 255/55/19s and couldn't be happier. Really impressed with snow performance, quite on road, and no real noticeable decrease in handling. That said, if you want to do some serious off roading, you probably want something more aggressive with taller sidewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're still thinking about keeping the 19's, check out Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails. They just came out last year. I think they are lighter duty than the AT3 and more for crossovers/CUVs. They weigh less than many AT tires and have a high speed rating. Wildpeak AT Trail

I put these on last fall in 255/55/19s and couldn't be happier. Really impressed with snow performance, quite on road, and no real noticeable decrease in handling. That said, if you want to do some serious off roading, you probably want something more aggressive with taller sidewall.
View attachment 237447 View attachment 237448 View attachment 237449
Thanks for the pictures! Yeah...I think I want to go down to 17s, just to get a bigger tire. I'm not looking at any serious offroad or trying to get myself stuck, but I do enjoy minimalist camping, and think I want something a little bigger just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, quick question, if i move from the oem 255/55 R18 to 265/60 R18 will that mess with the electronics of the car (V8 2009), Abs, gear box, differentials? im looking at the pirellis scorping at plus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts