Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2012 Lux owner with some bad luck. Driving home from the purchase the Check Engine light came on. (No OBD codes at time of purchase). Since code is tied to exhaust system and still have extended warranty coverage, would like to have dealership do the repair. I researched the dealership service depts in the Phoenix area and none seem enticing: reports of upselling, delays in repairs, even recommending unnecessary repairs.
I'm interested in recommendations from Treg owners, good and bad, concerning their experience w the service depts of our fair city.
Thanx.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
lmao driving home from purchase, first CEL acquired. That's excellent.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
For warranty repair, I’ve had good service from VW north Scottsdale (in terms of the service techs and not advisors), they seem to know TDIs and haven’t had any qualms when they did my EGR cooler repair. The only thing I didn’t like was a particular service advisor which I can PM you the info if needed. Make sure you push for a loaner because the warranty covers that too and they will try to do everything to just pay for an Uber and pocket the change. I don’t have any experience with the other VW dealerships in the valley.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the dealership fixed 'er right up, free of charge today. Service Consultant Gabe Amaya 1. Was up front about the time it would take (several hrs), 2. Initially offered a VW rental, then change to VW picking up the cost if was a warranty repair when I mentioned I was entitled to a loaner, since they didn't have a loaner available, and 3. Didn't try to push the brake or fuel filter service recommended. (WOW, over $1000 for front pad replacement. Glad I'm able to do most repairs.) Overall, actually a pretty good experience, all considered.
It was EGT Sensor #1(G98), they didn't have one but got one from the Audi dealer up the street.

Unfortunately, I'm still not quite roadworthy as they reported only 2mm of front pad left. Previous owner must not have used pads with a sensor connection to wear that far w/o a CEL. Ordering pads ($58) and I guess I'll find out this week.
Really looking forward to joining the Club of Happy Touareg Drivers yet.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Well, the dealership fixed 'er right up, free of charge today. Service Consultant Gabe Amaya 1. Was up front about the time it would take (several hrs), 2. Initially offered a VW rental, then change to VW picking up the cost if was a warranty repair when I mentioned I was entitled to a loaner, since they didn't have a loaner available, and 3. Didn't try to push the brake or fuel filter service recommended. (WOW, over $1000 for front pad replacement. Glad I'm able to do most repairs.) Overall, actually a pretty good experience, all considered.
It was EGT Sensor #1(G98), they didn't have one but got one from the Audi dealer up the street.

Unfortunately, I'm still not quite roadworthy as they reported only 2mm of front pad left. Previous owner must not have used pads with a sensor connection to wear that far w/o a CEL. Ordering pads ($58) and I guess I'll find out this week.
Really looking forward to joining the Club of Happy Touareg Drivers yet.
Pads and rotors must be changed together, they wear linearly. Stick with OEM or use @QPower1 for parts, OEM stuff is extremely high-end and better than most any cheapo aftermarket crap by a mile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm planning to replace Pads, Pagid rotors and sensors soon (4mm on pad, so only emergency use presently), but I've a few questions.
1. I plan to buy a triple square socket set: other than the 5mm and 14mm for brake jobs, what other sizes am I going to need for future repairs on this vehicle? I had the 50 Torx as part of a set, but I've never come across triple sqrs before.
2. In trying to Identify my braking system, I can't find the Vehicle Information Label in the trunk wheel well and the page in my Warranty and Maintenance booklet is inconveniently blank. My 2012 TDI Lux has 19in rims and Brembo calipers (probably OEM) My rough measure of the rotor is 350mm, nicely between 330 and 367mm. Was hoping not to have to remove the rotor to measure, but can if necessary. Any other way to know what size to order?
3. I've browsed several old threads about brakes. I'd like to ask a question w/o raising anyones hackles, if such a thing is possible concerning [email protected]??.
[I'm typing in a whisper]
there are min measurements that the rotors must meet if you want to just pad slap it.

Change pads w/o rotors?? Isn't that blasphemy?

Any high quality pads other than Brembo (I see ceramic Brembos from my supplier, but prefer the stopping capability of semi-metalic) members have used for towing? QUALITY but at a price point less than Brembo. Will be tugging a 5000lb TT.
4. Lastly, don't the sensors attach to a clip on these brakes? Curious why so hard to reuse?
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I'm planning to replace Pads, Pagid rotors and sensors soon (4mm on pad, so only emergency use presently), but I've a few questions.
1. I plan to buy a triple square socket set: other than the 5mm and 14mm for brake jobs, what other sizes am I going to need for future repairs on this vehicle? I had the 50 Torx as part of a set, but I've never come across triple sqrs before.
2. In trying to Identify my braking system, I can't find the Vehicle Information Label in the trunk wheel well and the page in my Warranty and Maintenance booklet is inconveniently blank. My 2012 TDI Lux has 19in rims and Brembo calipers (probably OEM) My rough measure of the rotor is 350mm, nicely between 330 and 367mm. Was hoping not to have to remove the rotor to measure, but can if necessary. Any other way to know what size to order?
3. I've browsed several old threads about brakes. I'd like to ask a question w/o raising anyones hackles, if such a thing is possible concerning [email protected]??.
[I'm typing in a whisper]

Change pads w/o rotors?? Isn't that blasphemy?

Any high quality pads other than Brembo (I see ceramic Brembos from my supplier, but prefer the stopping capability of semi-metalic) members have used for towing? QUALITY but at a price point less than Brembo. Will be tugging a 5000lb TT.
4. Lastly, don't the sensors attach to a clip on these brakes? Curious why so hard to reuse?
Cheers
OEM front are 330mm.

Do not get ceramic, like you said they're trash. Hit up dealership or @QPower1

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
1,555 Posts
If you can't find your PR code sticker, you can always get a dealer to run your VIN and give you the details.
Sensors are hard to reuse only if you wait until they tell you that you need to check your pads.... at that point, they are no longer usable. Lots of people cheap out and just jump the wires to disable the warning and avoid buying another set of sensors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You looked in the correct place right?
I hadn't removed the whole spare tire cover on the 1st inspection; I did now and no VIT to be seen anywhere. I'll take your advice and wonder by the dealer one of these days.

Any advice about sizes of triple squares desirable in a set for future repairs? How have I worked on cars for 30yrs and never come across one before. My work has been primarily Japanese, and Korean, w/ an odd Detroit thrown in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts