Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My touareg is at the dealer, CEL light and adblue lights came on.
ADblue tank was half full, added DEF, tried to reset milage but it did not reset.
Brought to dealer, dealer just called and said the car has 7 faults, Adblue injector issue, pump issue, sensor issue, heater element. $3,600 to replace system.
I called VW customer serv. was told they will get back to me.
Any thoughts? Others have same problems. treg has less than 79k
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd start by clearing the faults and seeing what comes back. If the pump failed it might set an injector fault as well.

-J

·
Registered
499 Posts
Tell them to fix it for free. If they push back I would remind them that these are emissions components that are necessary for you to pass emissions. If they argue that I would pull up an article on diesel gate for them to read up on.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
x2 on dieselgate, etcetera.

Not only is your car still under suspicion for dodgy emissions software with a continuing stop-sale on the Touareg diesels, the hardware, as has so often been reported on here, doesn't work reliably either.

Whatever's wrong, VW should fix it FOC and PDQ.

·
Registered
412 Posts
And if the dealer refuses to help you out I would look at a permanent fix. Deleting the system, 2000 bucks and it will never be an issue again.

·
Registered
593 Posts
First, I doubt it is all those components at the same time. That is not the way these systems break down. I have had every component of my emission system replaced, some twice, but never more than one component at a time.

Second, Phil is right: there is absolutely no good reason for you to pay for this repair with VW under a cloud due to emissions control hijinks. Recently, VW of America paid close to $1800 to repair two components of my system, first one and then the other over a period of two months. I just politely but firmly told the service rep to ask for a good will repair from the VW. All they made me pay, incidentally, was a $100 deductible on the second repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I talked to vw customer service Friday and should hear from them on Monday. My dealer seams to think I am better off calling vw CS myself vs them. Vw has been fair in the past, covering and item just out of warranty, but this is a much bigger nut$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VW customer service called yesterday and said they would cover cost of all parts. I need to just pay for labor to install pump. I think the dealer said $700.
I just hope in the long run this does not continue toi be a problem

·
Registered
499 Posts
VW customer service called yesterday and said they would cover cost of all parts. I need to just pay for labor to install pump. I think the dealer said $700.
I just hope in the long run this does not continue toi be a problem

The pump should not be more than 3 hours labor, that's how long it takes laying on the ground removing it.

My Touareg is on its 3rd pump and have a CEL for another adblue heater, that'll be #3 for the heater too. Get used to it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ya I was going to say... 7 hours to install? Seems too long to me.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Phil and Bill - how many miles do you have on your TReg's?

·
Registered
446 Posts
My touareg is at the dealer, CEL light and adblue lights came on.
ADblue tank was half full, added DEF, tried to reset milage but it did not reset.
Brought to dealer, dealer just called and said the car has 7 faults, Adblue injector issue, pump issue, sensor issue, heater element. $3,600 to replace system.
I called VW customer serv. was told they will get back to me.
Any thoughts? Others have same problems. treg has less than 79k
Thanks
Bill
should be covered under the emissions warrantee which runs out at 80k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 79K, the heater had a repair done at 58K. I dont think it was a replace. I was told vw had a repair KIT.
I think the only problems we have had with this car have been adblue system related.
~Bill

Chris, the dealer said adblue system is not an emissions covered item. How do I prove it is? I assume its only purpose is emissions but how do I get them to pay.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Funny old world in VW HQ, isn't it?

There's 450 plus pages on here on the VW emissions fraud with many, many, many posts saying the likely outcome to bring the emissions in line on the 3.0 Tdi will probably be to up the usage of ad-blu.

Now let me think about that for all of . . . one nanosecond?

Increased ad-blu usage will fix the emissions problem but the ad-blu system is not part of the emissions system?

Go back to VW and ask them why is the ad-blu system fitted to your car if it is not part of the emissions control function?

And ask your dealer if they'd like you to turn up on their forecourt with a local TV crew to ask the same question.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Funny old world in VW HQ, isn't it?

There's 450 plus pages on here on the VW emissions fraud with many, many, many posts saying the likely outcome to bring the emissions in line on the 3.0 Tdi will probably be to up the usage of ad-blu.

Now let me think about that for all of . . . one nanosecond?

Increased ad-blu usage will fix the emissions problem but the ad-blu system is not part of the emissions system?

Go back to VW and ask them why is the ad-blu system fitted to your car if it is not part of the emissions control function?

And ask your dealer if they'd like you to turn up on their forecourt with a local TV crew to ask the same question.
Agreed!

Here is a link about SCR and how it is definitely an emissions control device:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction

If they don't cover it entirely then I would go to a local news station and see if they want to run a story on it. I'm sure VW would love the extra press right now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have 79K, the heater had a repair done at 58K. I dont think it was a replace. I was told vw had a repair KIT.
The repair kit is a replacement part, they didn't fix the component. They call the updated parts a repair kit, my new adblue pump I installed in the fall was also called a repair kit.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
I hate to say it (since it will sound vindictive, which it is not. I am not a TDI owner, but I think of it as karma payback that VW previously earned from the TDI owners.)

VW really deserves that bad press story to be ran about the hundreds of times that they looked at an owner and said "Too bad, no Warranty. Pay Up to fix it because the ad-blue system in NOT part of the emission system.

That aside, play the I wall call the TV News station card if need be. VW would be a complete idiot to make anyone pay for ad-blue repair currently. The owner would have to be a complete idiot to let VW not pay for it currently. VW should not even leave you on the hook for $700. It should be covered under 80K PERIOD!

File a complaint on the NHTSA site that VW told you that the ad-blue was not part of the emission coverage. It can't hurt.

Write a letter to your local congress critters and ask them the same question. How is ad blue not part of emissions and why does the federal government let car companies get by with such tricks.

I would also think that a local news at 6 reporter would find this an interesting story to run on a slower news day. Even making you pay $700 for the repair (since it is under 80K, with the current diesel scandal) is news worthy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hate to say it (since it will sound vindictive, which it is not. I am not a TDI owner, but I think of it as karma payback that VW previously earned from the TDI owners.)

VW really deserves that bad press story to be ran about the hundreds of times that they looked at an owner and said "Too bad, no Warranty. Pay Up to fix it because the ad-blue system in NOT part of the emission system.

That aside, play the I wall call the TV News station card if need be. VW would be a complete idiot to make anyone pay for ad-blue repair currently. The owner would have to be a complete idiot to let VW not pay for it currently. VW should not even leave you on the hook for $700. It should be covered under 80K PERIOD!

File a complaint on the NHTSA site that VW told you that the ad-blue was not part of the emission coverage. It can't hurt.

Write a letter to your local congress critters and ask them the same question. How is ad blue not part of emissions and why does the federal government let car companies get by with such tricks.

I would also think that a local news at 6 reporter would find this an interesting story to run on a slower news day. Even making you pay $700 for the repair (since it is under 80K, with the current diesel scandal) is news worthy.
Apparently you don't know VW very well. Doubling down on Teutonic stubbornness is their forte.

·
Registered
61 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts