Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer some advice on the following issue:

Getting ready to take delivery on a new V8 T-Reg next weekend. The dealer is prepping the vehicle now and wants to sell me a protective package as follows:

Scotchguard on Carpet
Scotchguard on Leather (Napa)
Undercoating
Rustproofing
Clear Polymer Protective Coating (over paint)

I can imagine that Tregs must come with some undercoating / protection, but I don't know what that is. Haven't slid under one recently. I live in an area that SALTS the roads heavily (Chicago) - so protection would be good.

Dealer says normally US$999 for US$699. IS this worth it? Anyone have experience with similar type offers or packages.

I have the mindset to tell them I am paying major $$$$ for this Treg - V8 - All packages w/o 19" wheels. I should ask them to throw it in for free, but not likely to get away with that, as they gave me some accessories and winter package already.

Advice Please!

STOF

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take a good look at your standard VW warranty; it covers corrosion for 12 years. I would think that'd be sufficient.

·
Registered
57 Posts
John,
From what I've read the Touareg all ready has a very good rust thru warranty, off hand I think it was 12 years, and a spray can of Scotchguard is around $10. IMHO save your money and pass on it. Also most rust proofing requires holes to be drilled. :x

·
Registered
6 Posts
John Stofan said:
Can anyone offer some advice on the following issue:

Getting ready to take delivery on a new V8 T-Reg next weekend. The dealer is prepping the vehicle now and wants to sell me a protective package as follows:

Scotchguard on Carpet
Scotchguard on Leather (Napa)
Undercoating
Rustproofing
Clear Polymer Protective Coating (over paint)

I can imagine that Tregs must come with some undercoating / protection, but I don't know what that is. Haven't slid under one recently. I live in an area that SALTS the roads heavily (Chicago) - so protection would be good.

Dealer says normally US$999 for US$699. IS this worth it? Anyone have experience with similar type offers or packages.

I have the mindset to tell them I am paying major $$$$ for this Treg - V8 - All packages w/o 19" wheels. I should ask them to throw it in for free, but not likely to get away with that, as they gave me some accessories and winter package already.

Advice Please!

STOF

Hello,

My I know the name of your dealer?? I am also checking the Touareg in some of the dealers here in Chicagoland.

Hope you don't mind asking. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Our dealer ran us through the same spiel, but due to the VW warranty didn't offer the undercoating. Commodore products makes the stuff, and the only thing we took them up on was the leather protector. We can stop in anytime to the dealer and pick more up, for the entire length of our ownership. I plan for that to be a long time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
John,

I wouldn't agree to any of these extras. The only benefit is to the dealer's bottom line.

This is right out of the 1980s...I haven't been presented with these extras when purchasing a new vehicle for at least 15 years.

Good luck with your new Touareg! You're gonna' love it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is absolute bullsh$t. This is a classic stunt that the dealer is trying to pull. They add on "value extras" to bump up the price. These don't cost anything and are most likely never even added to the vehicle.

"Sure Mr. FoolishBuyer, I will sell you the car at invoice, no problem. I don't do this for anybody else, so keep it a secret, OK?" - Nevermind all othe other areas they make their profit: Dealer fee, holdback (2% on the Treg), fake adders, etc.

Tell him you want a vehicle without these "options".

-BD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Total rip off.

My friend worked at a vw dealer in town and he laughed when he got people to by it. It was at $3 can that they used and they charged out the ass!! :twisted:

·
Registered
40 Posts
dealer options

I agree with all the comments so far...having the dealer do all these things is how they make money at your expense...
I would go to a auto supply house and buy the leather conditioner etc...and save yourself a LOT of money.... :roll:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here's my input...

My cousin worked for many years at a series of dealerships. I used to call him "Ali Baba" since he'd be the one who propped up the dealership's profit line. They can deal as they will with the price of the car, then all of these addons are sold basically at list. BTW, Marty (my cousin) used to laugh and be proud that his dealership makes money because he's there!!! That's sandbagging it some, but basically it's the truth.

Also, you'll find that many of the foreign, as opposed to domestic mfg. load a lot of the options in the standard "limited" package---so you don't bother with options. The TReg is certainly in that category, so all they have to add on is the cleaners, etc.

I intend to keep the truck as best I can but I think it was azlinbackr that suggested Leatherique for the leather, as an example---it's still high end stuff, but not inflated for the VW, or any, logo.

That's the way I choose to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.