Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your dealer charging you to mount and install customer supplied tires?

I'm replacing the OEM Goodyear eagle LS2's with 265/50R-19 PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS XL

At the same time I plan on getting the 60K service done. They quoted me $50.00 per tire. I don't have a benchmark, how does that price look?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Seems, high, but you ARE in California, the San Francisco area, too.

Try an independent shop. Should be much less. But remember, you ARE bringing them tires that you DID NOT buy from them!

The dealer will always be more expensive. I only use them with a coupon or something that I need the dealer for, and that's pretty rare.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I think it's a decent price if the dealer is doing proper balancing, etc., which I'm sure it's doing. Point is to get it done right. If you find it for $35 a tire, is it really worth it? Don't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I've paid $133.35 for replacement of four tires, their road force balance, old tires disposal fees, weights and taxes. I'guess $200 for similar work in CA is reasonable.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discount Tire charged $16 USD each to mount tires that I purchased from them. They even had to dismount my existing ones and remount them in order to swap out the TPMS. (I was switching wheels, too)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am I reading this right? 50 dollars per tire ? ?

I always knew Europe was more expensive then the USA, but this is ridiculous.....
I bought 4 new tires for my T-reg last week (Bridgestones Dueller HP Sport ) at E 155,- per tire..... (that's about 160/165 dollars) !

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Am I reading this right? 50 dollars per tire ? ?

I always knew Europe was more expensive then the USA, but this is ridiculous.....
I bought 4 new tires for my T-reg last week (Bridgestones Dueller HP Sport ) at E 155,- per tire..... (that's about 160/165 dollars) !
155€ per wheel to mount and balance only (not including tire cost or anything else)??? If so that IS ridiculous. I would be buying the equipment and running advertising offering this service for that much!

·
Registered
147 Posts
The shops around me charge $100 to mount & balance 4 "walk in tires". That being said find a local independent shop or a specialty wheel shop.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Wow. I guess my feeling of $50 a tire is wrong. Of course, I've never brought new tires to an installer. Learned something new today!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Followup question:

When new tires of the same size are put on, should the tire pressure be set based on the recommended pressure of the new tire or the recommended pressure for the vehicle? If the new pressure is different from what is shown in the TPMS display, how do those numbers get reset?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have my snow tires dismounted and summer tires mounted or visa versa every spring/fall. Discount Tire, Big O Tires and Independents are all about $ 80 for the set of four.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just put on the same tires as the OP. Purchased the tires via tiretack.com and had them on my doorstep before noon the next day. Dealer charged $20 per tire to mount/balance. Alignment was extra.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just put on the same tires as the OP. Purchased the tires via tiretack.com and had them on my doorstep before noon the next day. Dealer charged $20 per tire to mount/balance. Alignment was extra.
Thanks, I'll use that... What about the TPMS, do they adjust the recommended pressure shown in the display to match the new tires?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
155€ per wheel to mount and balance only (not including tire cost or anything else)??? If so that IS ridiculous. I would be buying the equipment and running advertising offering this service for that much!
Wasn't that the price including the tyre...?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wasn't that the price including the tyre...?
Wasn't sure on that as past experience has been $800+ for four tires installed at our major retailers over here...if this does include tires that is a really good deal.

I will be replacing my wife's 19" wheels for 17" Canyons and anticipate a bill close to the above for the new tires

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In the UK we can get a set of 4 x 255/60/17 for less than the US equivalent of $300!

Fitted would be around $350!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I buy tires online and bring to my dealer to mount and balance cause they are 1/2 mile from my work and I have built a good relationship with them over the years and trust they do good work.

There are 2 different prices they charge me, they have Hunter equipment.

1.) Dismount old, mount new and spin balance with old tire disposal for $20 per corner
2.) Dismount old, match mount new tire and road force spin balance with old tire disposal for $30 per corner.

Supposedly match mount is similar to how tires and rims are mounted for factory where the low spot of rim is matched to high spot of the tire and to do this they first mount and spin on road force balance machine that detects both high and low spot and then tells them where to mark tire and rim, then they break bead and rotate tire so point line up.

Is match mount necessary? IDK but the stickers you see on new car rims and the red/yellow dots on the tires when new are specifically for this type of mounting at the factory so I figure it can't hurt when replacing tires as long as the tech knows what he is doing and does it correctly.

Replacement tires should be at same PSI as door sticker OEM spec as long as they are same size.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Forgot to mention that I think tires in US have heavy Federal Excise Taxes and that is supposed to be a way for our government to collect money to take care of our roads, probly not the same tax structure in UK

1 - 20 of 29 Posts