Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what exactly is the difference between a Touareg and a Touareg 2? It's in any search like cars.com and KBB and I asked the dealer and NOBODY had any clue. So what exactly is a Touareg 2?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It was the first facelift model based on the original Touareg (T1). Pretty sure Wikipedia or a decent Google search will tell you everything you want to know.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No, it's not actually as far as the dealer is concerned.

It's folk like us who have christened the models T1, T2, T3 and T4 with the all new T5 to come in 2017.

But as far as VW is concerned there have only between 2 Touareg models with the current version, the T4 to us, which is a facelifted T3 to us, but is actually, as far as VW is concerned, the T2.

In 2017, VW launch the T3 which we will call the T5!

Confused? The Wiki link is below!

·
Registered
132 Posts
No, it's not actually as far as the dealer is concerned.

It's folk like us who have christened the models T1, T2, T3 and T4 with the new T5 to come in 2017.

But as far as VW is concerned there have only between 2 Touareg models with the current version, the T4 to us, which is a facelifted T3 to us, but is actually, as far as VW is concerned, the T2.
I'd go by the year/mileage/spec of the car you want - does it matter what the pet name might be for the revision amongst enthusiasts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Most dealers do know a lot less than you'd expect, especially with the Touareg - remember it's a low-volume vehicle that most people aren't the slightest bit interested in - not a lot of reason for any salesperson to get expert on it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
As noted by Mr. Toogy, the designations T1, T2, etc. have no meaning outside of this forum. It's a shorthand used only here. Don't expect a dealer to know what those labels mean.

·
Registered
299 Posts
As noted by Mr. Toogy, the designations T1, T2, etc. have no meaning outside of this forum. It's a shorthand used only here. Don't expect a dealer to know what those labels mean.
Yeah, but nobody has really answered the nice man! :D

T1 is year? to year?
T2 is year? to year?

etc.

I don't know the answers or I'd supply the info.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
By year using CT terms:

T1 = 2004-2007
T2 = 2008-2010
T3 = 2011-2014
T4 = 2015-xx

At least for North America.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
By year using CT terms: T1 = 2004-2007 T2 = 2008-2010 T3 = 2011-2015 T4 = 2016-xx At least for North America.
I'm pretty sure a 2015 is considered a "T4" because of the face-lifted front grill design.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Correct. I will update. Thanks!

Reactions: Oregon TDI

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yeah, but nobody has really answered the nice man! :D

T1 is year? to year?
T2 is year? to year?

etc.

I don't know the answers or I'd supply the info.
The answers are in the Wiki link in my signature together with a whole lot more info on engines, etcetera.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well cars.com has a selection for Touareg and Touareg 2 and the years overlap in the listing so it is recognized outside of this forum but a clear definition...well isn't

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
According to my window sticker, which was produced by VW, it specifically says T2
image-3457141094.jpg

And this official VW advertisement shows the Touareg T2
image-385704311.jpg

So, VW at some point did make reference to the T2.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I stand corrected!

It's probably more accurate to say VW considers the 7L chassis to be the first gen, and the 7P to be the T2. I don't think VW considers any 7P variation as anything but a T2. T3, T4 etc were coined here on CT.

Someone correct me if I still have it wrong.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I stand corrected!

It's probably more accurate to say VW considers the 7L chassis to be the first gen, and the 7P to be the T2. I don't think VW considers any 7P variation as anything but a T2. T3, T4 etc were coined here on CT.

Someone correct me if I still have it wrong.
To my info
T1 was 7LA
T2 was 7L6
T3 7P

regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Noob .... there is a thank you button dont forget !!!!

Seems we now need to eliminate thank you from the forum haste we gather to much wafte where we do not need it !!!!

Thank you. I have refreshed the link in my signature!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts