Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All VCDS info can be found on the RT site. I don't know what SW update you keep referring to, but VCDS is a diagnostic tool not a reflashing tool.
Oh, I thought you can update firmware to transmission controller and other using that cable. Anyway, even confirming current version is a part of solution. In this case I can confirm if dealer or other shop actually updated or not. Thanks again ;)

· Registered
15 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just got 2011 VW Touareg TDI V6 with 146k miles and love that car. Running smoothly, passed NYC inspection without any issue. The only issues I have with tail hitch closing and opening and mirrors folding. However, tail hitch reset with holding close button doesn't help, ordering liftgate power lifts and going to replace those with my cousin. We tried to replace module with no luck.

So, today I went to Brooklyn Volkswagen Center to do maintenance and software update since I've read a lot that VW keeps updating those. My OCD doesn't let to go away from the thought that it could be updated. I'm there with high mileage car and after two hours of waiting they find nothing wrong with my car and state that software was updated successfully.

I'm kinda skeptical that they didn't find anything wrong with 11 years old car with 146k miles on it. I even think they really didn't do software update either. Is there any way I can check if something was actually done?

Thank you all in advance!
Yeah I have taken the Touareg to 4 different dealers around the country and all said nothing wrong until I got to a service dept in Grand Junction, CO who showed me a significant oil leak that had obviously been going a while. We also had a slow coolant leak that we asked several times about, and specifically took it to be checked just for that, but after it passed an overnight pressure test they threw their hands up and said they couldn't find the problem. One service dept put the wrong weight oil in the car.

Do yourself a favor, take pictures of coolant and oil levels (picture of coolant tank, and the service menu for oil) at specific mileage intervals to see how quickly you're running through them.

I also had the DPF burn out around 115k miles. Thankfully that was covered under the extended warranty. Make sure you know when your extended warranty runs out. Visually inspect inside the valley to see if you spot coolant there (it can be difficult to look in with all the stuff in the way). You can also look for evidence of coolant spots on the front of the engine. If yes, get it repaired ASAP under warranty. I agree with you, saying nothing is wrong means they didn't look very hard.

· Registered
210 Posts
Do yourself a favor, take pictures of coolant and oil levels (picture of coolant tank, and the service menu for oil) at specific mileage intervals to see how quickly you're running through them.
I've been wondering how much the typical oil burn rate is supposed to be. Last year my TDI's oil level dropped below minimum a few weeks before my annual service, so I had to add some. But this year it was still about 30% above minimum at time of service. (BTW, min to max seems to be just about a quart.)

· Registered
15 Posts
I've been wondering how much the typical oil burn rate is supposed to be. Last year my TDI's oil level dropped below minimum a few weeks before my annual service, so I had to add some. But this year it was still about 30% above minimum at time of service. (BTW, min to max seems to be just about a quart.)
Compared to mine that sounds awesome. I usually have to top up 2 quarts between oil changes. When I'm towing I definitely burn more oil which is expected. Still working on timing to take it in for the oil leak to be checked into.

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi Guys, an update:

So, I ordered a Ross Tech VCDS cable just to have it and guess what, that day the cable has arrived I've got a check engine light on :) So, I scanned it and found that "EGR airflow is insufficient" with many other insignificant errors. Thankfully it's still under extended emission warranty until May 2023 so I called another VW Brooklyn dealer (Bay Ridge this time) and dropped the car off this morning. Hopefully that warranty covers it and I hope this dealer is better that Brooklyn VW and I won't get report this time that all is good with your car dude or something like that ;)

· Registered
5,540 Posts
Make sure you understand what you're looking at.
If they were indeed insignificant, chances are they wouldn't have registered faults and would've "self cleared" by now.
True. All the insignificant stuff always somehow finds a way to be involved.

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If stuff was fixed, there would be no errors... unless you fixed it since you scanned it... not sure what you're actually saying.
I fixed those but before I got the cable but didn't clear those yet. I'm saying that EGR is a new error is currently taken care of Bay Ridge dealer but there were many other errors when I went to Brooklyn VW dealer which they ignored or haven't even scan since they gave me a report that all is good with car. This was the main reason I opened this topic. ;) I'm just looking for honest dealer around me.

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got a call from dealer and that EGR valve replacement would cost me about $4800, thanks God extended emission warranty covers it. Now I'm going to be around a week without my car, no loaner available for couple of weeks (usual NYC situation). At least this dealer gives me some result and solution.

· Registered
1,673 Posts
Yeah I have taken the Touareg to 4 different dealers around the country and all said nothing wrong until I got to a service dept in Grand Junction, CO who showed me a significant oil leak that had obviously been going a while. We also had a slow coolant leak that we asked several times about, and specifically took it to be checked just for that, but after it passed an overnight pressure test they threw their hands up and said they couldn't find the problem. One service dept put the wrong weight oil in the car.

I also had the DPF burn out around 115k miles. Thankfully that was covered under the extended warranty. Make sure you know when your extended warranty runs out. Visually inspect inside the valley to see if you spot coolant there (it can be difficult to look in with all the stuff in the way). You can also look for evidence of coolant spots on the front of the engine. If yes, get it repaired ASAP under warranty. I agree with you, saying nothing is wrong means they didn't look very hard.
Grand Junction is a good dealer. I had my 2010 TDI repaired there when the HPFP exploded and caused one head to be damaged. One dealer I know who knows what they are doing. Although it was there for 3 months and a $30K bill under warranty it was finished and drove perfect.

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'd still press them to give me what they owe me, even if I wasn't going to drive it..... it's a matter of principle.
You're absolutely right! I told this already to my rep and he said I'd need to wait around two weeks in line for a loaner and then do following repair :) Spoke to my cousin then who has Mercedes ML diesel and he confirmed that he had to wait around two weeks for a loaner when he did some repair. I went this way since I work from home and wanted to do this repair asap. If my job was requiring commute by car I'd wait two weeks.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
See, if it was me in your situation, I'd keep driving the vehicle with a known, documented issue, waiting for them to find a loaner\rental because IF this lead to other issues, they would also be on the hook for those repairs that were just caused by them not knowing where to rent a vehicle from.....

21 - 40 of 43 Posts