Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Just got 2011 VW Touareg TDI V6 with 146k miles and love that car. Running smoothly, passed NYC inspection without any issue. The only issues I have with tail hitch closing and opening and mirrors folding. However, tail hitch reset with holding close button doesn't help, ordering liftgate power lifts and going to replace those with my cousin. We tried to replace module with no luck.

So, today I went to Brooklyn Volkswagen Center to do maintenance and software update since I've read a lot that VW keeps updating those. My OCD doesn't let to go away from the thought that it could be updated. I'm there with high mileage car and after two hours of waiting they find nothing wrong with my car and state that software was updated successfully.

I'm kinda skeptical that they didn't find anything wrong with 11 years old car with 146k miles on it. I even think they really didn't do software update either. Is there any way I can check if something was actually done?

Thank you all in advance!

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get yourself a Ross-Tech VCDS cable and software so you can scan the car yourself. Only buy direct from them or authorised distributors as lots of fake cables around that don't actually work properly
Thank you for recommending. I should have bought the cable using the money I spent for nothing at the dealership.

· Premium Member
470 Posts
Hi v3ktor

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Club Touareg

146k miles is not really “high mileage” as long as it has had good maintenance history. I have an 07 V8 in excellent condition and almost 125k on it. I drive across the northern usa several times a year.

Yes a Ross Tech VCDS is important especially if you plan to keep a close eye on things and do as much of your own work as you can.

Also ask vw dealer service to print a copy of your Touareg’s Build Sheet. It will be good reference material and it lists everything your specific Touareg got at the factory. My copy was free - but NY might charge you for it.

Are you referring to trailer hitch or rear hatch not functioning right? Sorry I got confused about that in your post.

Keep in mind not all vw service depts are knowledgable about Touaregs. I found a great one where a couple of the Techs actually love and own Touaregs. I also went to one where the service writer called my beautiful Touareg a tiguan! Yes I loudly corrected him for that insult. And their tech took several hours just to incorrectly replace a headlight bulb. Yep beware of vw dealer service where they dont know the difference between a Touareg and a tiguan! Find a good vw service dept and make friends with them - they are a rare breed as well.

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi v3ktor

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Club Touareg

146k miles is not really “high mileage” as long as it has had good maintenance history. I have an 07 V8 in excellent condition and almost 125k on it. I drive across the northern usa several times a year.

Yes a Ross Tech VCDS is important especially if you plan to keep a close eye on things and do as much of your own work as you can.

Also ask vw dealer service to print a copy of your Touareg’s Build Sheet. It will be good reference material and it lists everything your specific Touareg got at the factory. My copy was free - but NY might charge you for it.

Are you referring to trailer hitch or rear hatch not functioning right? Sorry I got confused about that in your post.

Keep in mind not all vw service depts are knowledgable about Touaregs. I found a great one where a couple of the Techs actually love and own Touaregs. I also went to one where the service writer called my beautiful Touareg a tiguan! Yes I loudly corrected him for that insult. And their tech took several hours just to incorrectly replace a headlight bulb. Yep beware of vw dealer service where they dont know the difference between a Touareg and a tiguan! Find a good vw service dept and make friends with them - they are a rare breed as well.
Thank you Viking Lady for such a detailed reply and warm words regarding millage, that makes me calmer :) I really love your T-reg, seems like you take care of it well.

Ross Tech VCDS will be my next purchase. However, does the software come with it or you have to buy it separately?

Regarding rear hatch (trunk) - Sorry for confusing. I ordered two cylinders on ebay since we tried another used module and it acted the same, opening and closing from few inches to about half even after we set height. Our next step was to try power lift gate cylinders, perhaps one or both are malfunctioning. Found pair for $235. Hope that is going to resolve it.

This was my first and last visit at that VW center, reviews were mixed but I still went there even after my cousin told me to save my money :( I wish I could find a good TDI mechanic around me and work with them.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
If the vehicle was running perfect, why were you expecting "issues" to be found?
How do you know that the previous owner didn't keep up with all the recalls\updates?
When was it "fixed"?

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If the vehicle was running perfect, why were you expecting "issues" to be found?
How do you know that the previous owner didn't keep up with all the recalls\updates?
When was it "fixed"?
Cars like people, there is no completely healthy person in this world, doctors can always find something. Same with cars, it's 11 years old car so something needs to be changed or done no matter how previous owners take care of it (brake's pads, fluids, filters... etc). "Nothing needs to be done, everything is alright" sounds a bit cheesy for me. Of course, I could be wrong. On the paper they gave me states "MPI performed multi point inspection"

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
Cars like people, there is no completely healthy person in this world, doctors can always find something. Same with cars, it's 11 years old car so something needs to be changed or done no matter how previous owners take care of it (brake's pads, fluids, filters... etc). "Nothing needs to be done, everything is alright" sounds a bit cheesy for me. Of course, I could be wrong. On the paper they gave me states "MPI performed multi point inspection"
Did you get service records\history from the previous owner?

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get service records\history from the previous owner?
No, not full history. I bought it from a dealer who I know personally and he bid it for me on auction. According to CarFax no accidents and two owners. However, withing car's manual I found 10k and 50k service reports, first owners probably put it there and forgot. Oil change, brake pads... nothing significant

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
So take the service schedule into your dealer and tell them that you want everything on the list checked\performed according to your milage. Tell them to ensure all software updates and recall are also performed. Start the conversation by saying "shut up and take my money".... I'm sure they'll find something wrong!
Schedule

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So take the service schedule into your dealer and tell them that you want everything on the list checked\performed according to your milage. Tell them to ensure all software updates and recall are also performed. Start the conversation by saying "shut up and take my money".... I'm sure they'll find something wrong!
Schedule
Don't trust them anymore. I'll get Ross Tech VCDS cable and do updates by myself. For repairs and other will be going to 3rd party shops. This "Brooklyn VW Service Center" literally took my money without doing anything. I now even remembering representative mentioned that they usually charge $250 for software updates but tech said to charge me $189 :) What a mess!

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, could please anyone give me a link for latest RNS 850 system update? I see it could be updated from SD card but can't find active repository. No need map update but just software. My MU software is currently 0170 which is old in comparison to other posts. Thank you in advance!

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
5,540 Posts
Lol every single time I get the egg inspected I tell them "look for for issues" and every single time the dealer says it's in great shape, no issues found.

First time I took my excellent condition f350 to an actual diesel truck repair shop for a simple inspection they found like 7 things wrong that they wanted to repair

Reactions: JoshC and C-ya

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol every single time I get the egg inspected I tell them "look for for issues" and every single time the dealer says it's in great shape, no issues found.

First time I took my excellent condition f350 to an actual diesel truck repair shop for a simple inspection they found like 7 things wrong that they wanted to repair
Damnit, and now I don't even know who to believe :)

· Registered
2011 V6 TDI Lux
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you!
Thanks again! I got it updated without any issues. Could you please do me another favor and point me to software update with Ross Tech VCDS thread or instruction? I want to make sure I know what to do before I order the cable. Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts