Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New poster but I've been a lurker here for awhile before and after I bought my car.

Long story short, something happened with my 2013 Touareg while on a trip a few hours from home and it started sounding like a Harley Davidson and lost some power. I had it towed to a local dealer and it took six days to do the repair. I was told that it was an exhaust crack and blown catalytic converter.

Picked up the car to drive home and about halfway home the noises start and it starts rattling like a tin can when I turn. I take it to the dealer in my home town and find that the repairs were beyond poorly done. Parts missing, wrong parts used, bent and broken parts around the repairs, pieces put back together with epoxy, etc. Additionally since it was there I asked them to do an oil change and they put the wrong oil in the car. They also now have noises that they're having a very difficult time fixing at my dealer after several days. They think it might be a bad bearing which would be hard to figure out how that would be caused by this except they had to remove the wheel to access where they were working.

I've already had an initial call with VW of America and they seemed genuinely concerned about my problem. Waiting for a call from the regional rep. To be honest I think they've done massive damage to my car. My dealer says there is significant scratching and damage in the engine compartment, "but nobody will ever see it". Am I wrong in thinking I want the car to be in the condition it was when it was brought into the first dealer? I've attached some photos of the damage that I could see that didn't require me to be under the car.

I've honestly lost confidence in this particular car, like I'll always be waiting for something else they screwed up to break.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? How was it resolved?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
misread... Which dealers did you hit? (out of town and VA)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's bloody shoddy workmanship.

I hope you get proper redress either with the help of VW, or via a lawyer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's bullshit the dealer should never further damage a vehicle should always be in better condition than what it was brought in

·
Registered
6 Posts
misread... Which dealers did you hit? (out of town and VA)
The offending dealer is VW of Alexandria that did the damage. I live in Charlottesville.
Yeh, I seem to remember some not good things about Alexandria, usually for nova I've always been told to hit Lindsay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Still broken, they still can't figure out how to stop the noise. I told them I don't want the car back and I was told I was over reacting and that nobody will notice the dents and epoxy in the engine compartment.

Now waiting for the daily call from VW "would it be OK if we got in touch with you tomorrow?"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Terrible! I would raise hell with the shop forman. You have every right to get that car back in better shape than you dropped it off. What a bunch of hacks! They can start with a new sensor instead of one they had to glue back together. As far as hackin up you engine compartment, well not sure what ya do there. Make them re paint it?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What a crap job. Looks like it was "fixed" by a gas station mechanic. Be sure to immediately put the right oil in it.

I am not sure on the Wheel bearing part... Seems more like they had to get clearance and loosened the engine mounts or sub frame or something to shift the motor out of the way (hence the paint damage...or perhaps this is what they should have done to avoid paint damage)??? No idea what the procedure would be, but not sure I believe the wheel bearing would be damaged even by this shoddy work. I wonder if something could have been damaged if they did or did not do this this...or if they didn't align the motor / sub frame and now the drive line is slightly to one side thereby straining the center main bearing??? Really no idea, but not wheel bearing.

No way to repaint without pulling motor. Not that it shouldn't be made right, but if it was me, I would demand compensation in lieu of some moron ruining something else.

Epoxy is a joke. No, this most be fixed.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
593 Posts
Hi,

New poster but I've been a lurker here for awhile before and after I bought my car.

Long story short, something happened with my 2013 Touareg while on a trip a few hours from home and it started sounding like a Harley Davidson and lost some power. I had it towed to a local dealer and it took six days to do the repair. I was told that it was an exhaust crack and blown catalytic converter.

Picked up the car to drive home and about halfway home the noises start and it starts rattling like a tin can when I turn. I take it to the dealer in my home town and find that the repairs were beyond poorly done. Parts missing, wrong parts used, bent and broken parts around the repairs, pieces put back together with epoxy, etc. Additionally since it was there I asked them to do an oil change and they put the wrong oil in the car. They also now have noises that they're having a very difficult time fixing at my dealer after several days. They think it might be a bad bearing which would be hard to figure out how that would be caused by this except they had to remove the wheel to access where they were working.

I've already had an initial call with VW of America and they seemed genuinely concerned about my problem. Waiting for a call from the regional rep. To be honest I think they've done massive damage to my car. My dealer says there is significant scratching and damage in the engine compartment, "but nobody will ever see it". Am I wrong in thinking I want the car to be in the condition it was when it was brought into the first dealer? I've attached some photos of the damage that I could see that didn't require me to be under the car.

I've honestly lost confidence in this particular car, like I'll always be waiting for something else they screwed up to break.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? How was it resolved?
Looks like they broke the push pull nipple off the intake manifold in front of the throttle body and just tried a glue fix that will fail and result in a vacuum leak. If you did this and took to the dealer they would tell you that a new intake is required and rob you. What a butcher job. I would make the dealer replace the intake and fix the damages caused by incompetence, scratches too. I know from experience on the intake nipple. I broke one by placing my hand in the wrong place and vw wanted $1,200 to replace the entire intake. I enlarged the hole and put a steel pull push connector of similar size( fuel line) and have not had a problem. One would think a dealer could come up with a better solution than a shade tree mechanic. Sometimes I think some dealers believe touareg owners have more money than sense. I would sue any dealer that provided such shoddy repairs in Omaha and lambast them online. It works. We had one dealership locally that got such poor reviews that they replaced pretty much everyone on the repair side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update. Still waiting on a resolution. This loaner Passat is getting old. Was just informed today that they'll pay for my repairs (How Generous!) and once they are done they will process my buyback request. Of course my local dealer cannot figure out what is wrong with my car, so the circle continues.

I did not get to argue this point as it was left on a voicemail but I don't see why I need to wait to have the car repaired to have it bought back.

I'm going to speak with them tomorrow then the lawyers can take it from there if they don't. I'm over waiting for this to be resolved.

I hope you all never have to deal with this type of mess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts