Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have replaced brakes on '11 + at dealers, how much have you paid? And...Nooby don't tell me to use the search function, because I just spent half an hour trying to answer this question with insufficient results. Thank you in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
My pads only was $944, with tax. If I had done the rotors and pads, it would have been about $1700, with tax.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call the place your gona get it done. They are the best source for price.

They are also the best source for price gouging. I'm just doing my homework before I drop a good chunk of change on my rig.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My pads only was $944, with tax. If I had done the rotors and pads, it would have been about $1700, with tax.

Dude, that is outrageous.

EDIT - Just looked up cost for OEM front and rear brakes with all hardware. Total was just under $350 shipped. They charged around $600 for labor. That's insane.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your shopping world wide (international forum) for some local price quotes. Or do you want to know how much they cost at Ft McConnell outpost?

Unless of course your going to drive it, to the best prices?

You call the dealer for the parts or shop online.

Then you get the book time on whatever you want done.

Then you call around to see how much the shop cost per hour (see above).

Otherwise, it's 235 Schmeckle including parts.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Dude, that is outrageous.

EDIT - Just looked up cost for OEM front and rear brakes with all hardware. Total was just under $350 shipped. They charged around $600 for labor. That's insane.

Pads were $420 at dealer. I had no problem using my dealer. Great service dept., and I am glad to have them as my dealer of choice. Their pricing is fair relative to other dealers. Since my TDI is likely to bought out, I will keep it for a good chunk of 2017, otherwise I would have done the rotors, too -- at the dealer -- since my TDI is awesome. Oh well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my 2014 Touareg, I have only had front rotors and pads done (rears were fine) - work done at the dealer. I paid $867.85. Rotors were $132 each, pads $180, senders $95, and $330 in labor....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you don't DIY, then this is one of the simpler jobs on a Touareg that can be done by any competent workshop using VW parts at a labour /labor rate that's probably a lot lower than a VW dealer.

The one thing you need to watch out for on T3s and T4s is that the workshop knows how to deal with the electrically operated parking brake.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I did my 4 discs, pads and sensors and did not have to worry about setting the electric parking brake. Never engaged them and all was well when I replaced the pads. Rear callipers were also a dream to remove as the mounting bolts are tangential to the drive line axis.
I used Brembo discs which were very good, but the only down side is the TRW pads. They are just too soft. Initial bight is good but feels a bit mushy on the pedal, even after bleeding brakes for a long time. I would not recommend TRW pads at all. Even my wife commented that the pedal feels slightly mushy, Stick to Zimmerman, Brembo or even OEM!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
OEM is Pagid who also make Brembo's pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Time to change my front brake pads as per dealer last visit.
Got Brembo pads for all corners from Amazon UK.
I am asking for your opinion about them as I reckon the ones on the right side of picture are fakes.The Brembo inscription is riveted on pads body.
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I see that TEXTAR is stamped into the top left of each pad's steel backing plate which is interesting as, when others have posted pictures of their BREMBO pads in the past, it used to be PAGID that was stamped there.

That set me thinking that I was either giving out duff info as I have always understood that BREMBO don't make any friction material themselves, or that you have indeed got fakes.

However, doing a bit more research and looking to see who owns TEXTAR and PAGID, I find that both companies are part of TMDFriction - see the bottom of this page:

Our History | TMD Corporate

So, unless those pads really are fakes and someone is using the wrong manufacturer's name, it would seem that BREMBO pads are now being made to their specification by either TEXTAR or PAGID and possibly, MINTEX or DON too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What concerns me is that a company as Brembo instead of write all infos straight on the pad body as left ones,it bolts a piece of plastic/fabric(I do not exacly what it is) with its name using what it looks like kind of cheap rivets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts