1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All

just purchased my first Touareg - always been a VW faithful

however, struggling to get my head around an issue

battery was dead when I bought it - but since I’ve had it instrument cluster has been totally dead - car starts and drives - no issues - but nothing on dash at all - no front wipers either. I’ve checked fuses on side and all check out - are there any fuses elsewhere that I need to check or has anyone had this issue before

thanks in advance

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
I don't get people's obsession with fuses and they wanting to check and replace those. In reality fuses are NEVER (ie. in 99.999% of the cases not) the culprits that are causing the problems. Instead if and when they get blown there's some other electrical problem in some other component of the car, and the fuses only get blown as a result of that, and to prevent damage to the rest of the car. That's their sole purpose, and actually that's how they are supposed to work. Fuse getting blown = fuse working as intended.

So, the fuses getting blown is not a problem per se, and that's not the problem you have to actually find and fix. Replacing the fuse will not fix the issue at hand (just result in the new fuse also getting blown), but one has to fix the initial issue that caused the fuse to get blown, and it only makes sense to replace the fuse after that.

As for your actual problem: nobody will tell you (over the internet) why your cluster is not showing anything. It could be severed wires, a loose connector, or the display having a major damage or electrical problem. Diagnosing the actual car in person is what's required to find out the cause. Are the gauges working and you just don't have anything on the display, or are all the gauges dead, too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response

I agree with you on the fuses theory - that was just to eliminate anyone asking me to check the fuses.
There is no power (it seems) to the cluster at all. No lights no movement. Thanks

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Hmm... Need a vehicle scan. Can you get a VCDS scan?
Because on Touaregs both the CAN gateway and the diagnostic interface are built into the instrument cluster, it is highly unlikely that a car with a completely dead instrument cluster could be scanned. Of course it might be worth a try, but chances are slim that it's working.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
If you can't scan the vehicle, then the first thing I would do is remove the instrument cluster (which is relatively easily done, you just have to remove a few trim pieces and a few screws), and check the connectors, and then the wiring, both visually and if that yields to no conclusion, then of course electrically whether power lines are present. If not, then it will be tough to track down why not. And if they're present, then you most likely will need a new instrument cluster. Of course at this point this pretty much becomes an automative electronic diangosis and repair issue, with no obvious generic or even just likely solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info

bit late tonight but I will be taking the cluster out next.

I have access to another cluster which I know is working - would I be able to plug the other one in and should it function as normal or will there be an issue in starting the car etc.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
I have access to another cluster which I know is working - would I be able to plug the other one in and should it function as normal or will there be an issue in starting the car etc.
If it's from the same generation, then yes, the plugs should be compatible. However, there's a possibility that it was an electrical issue internal to the car that possibly also killed the current cluster, and if that's the case and you connect the new one, the car could very well kill also that one. So, I'd suggest you do at least some basic electronic checks before plugging in the new cluster - or even better: try to wake up the new cluster instead by providing power to it through the appropriate lines. Obviously you'll get all kinds of faults even if you succeed with that, but then at least you'd know where the problem lies and whether it's safe to connect another cluster or not.

Even if the culprit is the old cluster itself and there's no problem with the car itself, if you connect the new cluster that will also throw all kinds of fault, because it would need to be coded to the new car to work properly. The problem is that for one you'd need VCDS or similar tool for that, and that you'd need to know the coding of the original cluster, which you won't be able to find out, unless you possibly have a previous VCDS scan of the car, or you can somehow wake up the old cluster. That should not hinder you from starting the car through, because the immobilizer is not in the instrument cluster and does not depend on it.

Actually, Touaregs can be driven even in the total absence of an instrument cluster - even though it would be obviously extermely dangerous to do so on public roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts