Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found my drivers side eyelash was not working 2 weeks ago on my 2016.
My warranty expired Sept 2019.
Took it into the dealer & asked for an application to claim it under goodwill.
They took the car in for the usual $180 diagnosis + $500 inspection (bar removal, wiring check etc) which they charge if they do not find any faults.
The goodwill warranty application needs the diagnosis & inspection reports, hence the extra money.
In the end VW agreed to 80% of the total cost of a replacement so its costing me $600 odd.
Better than the full freight for one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
took the light out myself on the weekend assuming I could whack a new led or globe in.
it ain't a 5 min job and the unit is sealed.
i was going to crack the seal and plastic weld it back up but there is too many leveling motors and what not in it to bother.
id you think that 600;is a lot then avoid am M5 or Cayenne cause in my experience it's a lot cheaper

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the point is the LED bulb should be replaceable. I don't mind spending $100 on some fancy HID or LED bulb for a luxury vehicle, but replacing the entire headlight assembly for 1k+ is ridiculous for even a luxury vehicle 5 years old or so.

Reactions: Dr freedom

·
Registered
VW Touareg 2015 V6 3.0 TDI
2 Posts
Hi All,

I have been following this thread for any developments; my 2015 also has a failed DRL LED. I was wondering if anyone has tried swapping the LED drivers over from the working side, in order to determine if the LED driver is at fault as opposed to the bulb?

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I replaced my light it did not come with the modules and I swapped the old ones to the new housing and it worked so it was not the modules in my case.

·
Registered
VW Touareg 2015 V6 3.0 TDI
2 Posts
When I replaced my light it did not come with the modules and I swapped the old ones to the new housing and it worked so it was not the modules in my case.
Thanks for the quick response - that is a pity. I have also been looking at what is involved to change the light (or the driver).......the whole front bumper has to come off......aaaarggggh - gutted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the quick response - that is a pity. I have also been looking at what is involved to change the light (or the driver).......the whole front bumper has to come off......aaaarggggh - gutted.
Not really. You need to remove the screws and bolts on the bottom and top, remove the grille and detach from the side clips and just pull the bumper cover fwd a little, just enough to get the tool in and unbolt the 2 bottom screws on the light. It won't be pretty and certainly not what the manual says, but it works and beats removing it completely.

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Is this to try and fix the eye lash led fail?
If so, from what I know it's the actual led that fails nothing to do with the module

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes the LED eyelash is part of the headlight housing itself and not a replaceable part at this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
See photos attached Singh, as far as I can tell the 'lower bar' must be a separate LED to the U shaped bar.
I will try my local dealer now that I'm back home.
I have exact same issue. Right side is out as well. Dealer and independent mechanic said replacement is full headlight. $1200

how could I disable the other lower eyebrow led to make it look the same?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I did mine I asked the dealer to apply to vw under goodwill warranty and that I would pay half.
VW agreed and it was $500 in the end.
Much better than $1200 plus whatever else they could have brainfarted

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
In 09 you can change settings to have fogs, headlights, park lights or the LEDs in the headlight to be DRL.
Similarly you can switch on rear lights as DRL as well
But what I haven't figured is how to switch off the lower leds in the headlight when the other one fails.
There's gotta be a way, given the lower fails and the upper keeps working

61 - 75 of 75 Posts