Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
VW has had a new business model for parts and making money. They are modularizing parts that have more features and more sensors in a single part. When one "feature" fails, you have to buy the whole, much more expensive modularized part with a significant price tag, to fix the one feature that failed. This enhances VW's bottom line by selling much more expensive parts to you when something fails, and much more expensive labor removing the whole part instead of just unscrewing the single bad sensor. This became effective in 2013 on VW Touaregs, with parts prices like Porsche Cayennes.

Don't buy, own or operate a Touareg if you can't afford the price tag of parts for a Luxury SUV. Parts and labor for them are the same as on exotic or expensive marquee cars.

A long, long, long time VW and TDI owner. VW plans to gouge you on parts and labor, with their new, lesser, more modularized headlights, shifter columns EGR recirculators, coolant thermostats, etc, etc, etc.

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
I would like to turn them off, like the look without it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2015 touareg tdi lux.
I too have a passenger side lower eyebrow drl that is not working. VW dealer stated whole headlight unit needs replaced. Wondering if there is another option including turning off driver side drl eyebrow.
Your assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Would it be possible to remove the headlight and just clip the wire connected to that lower LED on the headlight that is still working? This would even out the look and still have the other DRL's. Or would this throw a fault in the system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 15 Treg tdi was also assembled in October 14. Right eyebrow drl out. It seems like lights supplied during that time were
Faulty. Is it possible to file a group complaint to VW to see if a response is in order?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This forum Has been very helpful. Was wondering if anyone has used the Carista app or the OBD 11 App. Both apps state that the DRL lights Can be changed in a variety of ways. Has anyone tried either of these apps to customize a 2015 Touareg TDI?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This forum Has been very helpful. Was wondering if anyone has used the Carista app or the OBD 11 App. Both apps state that the DRL lights Can be changed in a variety of ways. Has anyone tried either of these apps to customize a 2015 Touareg TDI?
not sure if this site has found a solution for the 2015 eyebrow Daytime running light failure, received a Carista Module today and canceled LED daytime running lights and substituted headlights and corner lights as a substitute and it works. The LED daytime running lights are now off. Seems like I just dodged a bullet.
Cost me $20 for the Carista app Plus $10 for a 30 day option to use this app. I consider that a win

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have BOTH of my day time running lights stop working. My Touareg was built in early 2015.

The right hand side headlight unit was replaced under warranty by the dealer just within the 3 yr warranty period. Now my left hand side LED has failed.

When the first LED running light failed I took it down to a freak occurrence, having both fail means its a part fault. VW will only offer to resupply a new headlight for 60% of the cost which is a joke considering I paid the dealer $180 for a 'diagnostic check' before they would submit a goodwill claim to VW Australia.

It's clearly a faulty part which is causing these LED units to fail.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is why they are called VW stealerships. Diagnostic checks my arse. Get VCDS by ross-tech, run the scan yourself at home, print it out and submit it to the bass tards

·
Registered
4 Posts
See photos attached Singh, as far as I can tell the 'lower bar' must be a separate LED to the U shaped bar.
I will try my local dealer now that I'm back home.
Too many failing, something not quite right here. I haven’t seen even a single case where the upper one has failed.
I am expecting this to happen at some point, and would be keen to know if the lower can be turned off somehow

same just happended to me
drivers side aswell

bottom bar led drivers side is warm colour yellow colour not bright white

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have BOTH of my day time running lights stop working. My Touareg was built in early 2015.

The right hand side headlight unit was replaced under warranty by the dealer just within the 3 yr warranty period. Now my left hand side LED has failed.

When the first LED running light failed I took it down to a freak occurrence, having both fail means its a part fault. VW will only offer to resupply a new headlight for 60% of the cost which is a joke considering I paid the dealer $180 for a 'diagnostic check' before they would submit a goodwill claim to VW Australia.

It's clearly a faulty part which is causing these LED units to fail.

drivers side just failed on my 2016 model.

again bottom bar led has gone a faint yellow colour.

my vehicle is 3.5 years old

this isnt good

·
Registered
4 Posts
VW has had a new business model for parts and making money. They are modularizing parts that have more features and more sensors in a single part. When one "feature" fails, you have to buy the whole, much more expensive modularized part with a significant price tag, to fix the one feature that failed. This enhances VW's bottom line by selling much more expensive parts to you when something fails, and much more expensive labor removing the whole part instead of just unscrewing the single bad sensor. This became effective in 2013 on VW Touaregs, with parts prices like Porsche Cayennes.

Don't buy, own or operate a Touareg if you can't afford the price tag of parts for a Luxury SUV. Parts and labor for them are the same as on exotic or expensive marquee cars.

A long, long, long time VW and TDI owner. VW plans to gouge you on parts and labor, with their new, lesser, more modularized headlights, shifter columns EGR recirculators, coolant thermostats, etc, etc, etc.

Don't buy, own or operate a Touareg if you can't afford the price tag of parts for a Luxury SUV
when someone buys a vehicle they consider how much they have and buy it.
people do not expect to be ripped off over faulty items
at the end of the day an LED headlight should not fail after 3/4 years and its 1000k to fix
simple as that
vw isnt that luxury either its MID RANGE

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 with original VW DRLs still functioning at 45K miles. Lucky so far I guess.

Anything can be fixed. Someone ship me couple of bad headlight units to examine. We'll figure out a hack.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I buy a used 2015-2017 Headlamp housing, some say includes HIDs and some don't . But none say if DRL LEDs are intact. Any chance they pulled out the LEDs for the DRLs??

·
Registered
29 Posts
2015 with passenger bottom LED failure, was able to score a unit from eBay for $85 with a cracked housing and perfect lens. Came with no modules and I swaped mine in, and plastic welded the crack on the housing, sits on the bottom of the headlamp so cannot see it at all. Lucky this time, but it is a matter of time until this one or the other one fails. So it is with car ownership. I have had to replace the water pump and AC pump, on a 2015 with 35K miles. Plus the fiasco with the header flange coming undone (that one fixed under warranty). And I still love the damn thing Go figure....

Reactions: Modena

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015, both right side DRLs failed at the same time. I bought the LED control module for $100, spent hours cursing removing the headlight, replaced the module, but it did not fix the DRLs. I have HEXCAN/VCDS, so next step is to code off the LEDs and code on the fogs as DRL, will put some white globes in there too. The cost for an entire headlight is not ridiculous given it has the motorised bits and bobs, what is ridiculous is that the LEDs are blowing after such a short time, and that they are not replaceable....

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok after playing with VCDS, I managed to disable the DRL, and turn off the voltage monitoring so no more bulb errors. I could not seem to get the fogs to come on in place of the DRL, or get the fogs to come on as park lights. So with the DRL disabled I was left with no park lights, then I found byte 27 and switched bit 1 as per the pic, this suddenly enabled the small low wattage park light, which has never ever turned on, as it used to use DRL as park light.

So now, DRL is disabled, no errors, I have no DRL, but I have low wattage park lights, and normal headlights. Fogs remain separately switchable as fogs.

HTH someone out there.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
Great find. I have printed a copy of your post to file away inside my manual (in the glovebox) ;)

41 - 60 of 75 Posts