Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Anyone had any luck getting VW to replace this based on goodwill?
At least not in Russia. I read that even those with Kulanz enhanced guarantee are not eligible/entitled. Obviously that is mass problem and who else if not VW should be accountable for this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same issue same side 2015 Touareg and same result from the dealer. Bloody outrageous and I am not forking out the $2250 they want. Seems to be a reasonably common problem. Sure some clever person will figure this out make themselves some money but it sure aint me - unfortunately!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The right hand DRL has partially failed on my 2015 treg.
Center part is working, the bottom edge is not.
Rang a dealer today and was told the LED not a replaceable item, so fix is a complete headlight $1400.
Seems odd that the LED has failed inside 4 years but insane that the 'fix' is complete assembly replacement.
That's a complete HID headlight and motor aiming assembly. Hence the price, with the projector lens.

Touaregs aren't VW's, they are Porsche's with Porsche price tags for parts. They've always been expensive to maintain, it a Luxury premium SUV, so why are you surprised?

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Agree, the led failing in such a short span is an issue.
One can turn off the annoying warning to start off with by using vcds and also turn off the other led and have fogs or headlights as drl. This of course doesn’t fix the issue.

I wouldn’t pay that much either to replace, so getting hands on a used one from a wrecker/car yard is the way to go

·
Registered
498 Posts
Could this issue be a manufacturing fault, that has been fixed on later model Touaregs?

Most of the people reporting issues look like theirs are either 2014 or 2015 models, with the one exception being 2016 (which could be an MY16 built in 2015).

Mine has a build of mid-Oct 2015 (ie MY16) and luckily does not have the failed LED issue that others have reported.

Can people with LED's who have the issue confirm the build dates of their Touaregs?

It would go great to determine if this is specific to vehicles that rolled off the production line during a specific period, that was resolved for later cars.

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Mine is my15, all led’s working well so far

·
Registered
2 Posts
My RH light also failed recently, been back to the dealer and was quoted $1500 for the light plus $200 labour ($1700 in total).
Dealer has now spoken to VW and have now been offered a 60% discount off the part ($600) plus the $200 labour charge ($800 in total).
I have a MY 15 (built Oct 14), the dealer said the part number has changed from the original which he seems to think is due to an improvement in the LED design as they are aware of this is a problem and being common fault, two other Touareg's were in the shop with the same problem while I was there!
Not sure if I want to part with $800 just so the daytime light works!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would push for no cost replacement under the consumer laws in Australia.

It should be covered under "reasonable durability" under the Australian consumer law.

The following was the extract from the "AutoExpert.com.au" web site:

"THE BASICS: YOUR RIGHTS AND REASONABLE DURABILITY

It is illegal for a dealer to brush you off onto the manufacturer. They are specifically not allowed to fob you off in this way. Holden should take urgent action to educate its arsehole dealer network, in my view. Especially as Holden is under the ACCC’s microscope following its own illegal consumer conduct.

There is a legislated consumer guarantee for Reasonable Durability under Australian Consumer Law. This means that, regardless of the warranty status, goods and services are required to meet the durability expectations of a reasonable consumer.

I’m no lawyer but I am certain a reasonable person would expect a properly maintained car to last more than 49,000 kilometres. So it seems to me there are excellent grounds for a successful claim here."

The above is available from the following link:

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/how-to-fight-a-carmaker-and-win

PS. He has lots more posts, and also has a good youtube channel.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My RH light also failed recently, been back to the dealer and was quoted $1500 for the light plus $200 labour ($1700 in total).
Dealer has now spoken to VW and have now been offered a 60% discount off the part ($600) plus the $200 labour charge ($800 in total).
I have a MY 15 (built Oct 14), the dealer said the part number has changed from the original which he seems to think is due to an improvement in the LED design as they are aware of this is a problem and being common fault, two other Touareg's were in the shop with the same problem while I was there!
Not sure if I want to part with $800 just so the daytime light works!
I would try and obtain the part number for the replacement.

The service adviser or parts department should be able to quote the part number.

Would be interesting in comparing it to your older one as well as others experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have '15 with the same problem. My stock left headlight is part number 7P0941751
The current VW parts list shows the left headlight assembly for 2015-'17 as 7P0941753
They did change the part number!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rang a dealer today and was told the LED not a replaceable item, so fix is a complete headlight $1400.
Seems odd that the LED has failed inside 4 years but insane that the 'fix' is complete assembly replacement.
Same issue with my 2015 TDI where the lower LED bar went out in year three and I had to replace the $863 light assembly plus labor. A year later and the same thing has happened to the other headlamp.
Has anyone come up with answer on turning off the lower lamp on the headlight that is still operable in order to give the front-end a balanced look?

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Same issue with my 2015 TDI where the lower LED bar went out in year three and I had to replace the $863 light assembly plus labor. A year later and the same thing has happened to the other headlamp.
Has anyone come up with answer on turning off the lower lamp on the headlight that is still operable in order to give the front-end a balanced look?
Havent spent time on this to figure it out bit will eventually have to.
Saw a touareg locally with both of the lower ones ‘turned off’ i believe, so there must be a way

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same issue and have taken it up with VW Australia as I believe that a car of the price should not suffer this type of failure. At first, they tried to convince me that this is a rare occurrence but that was easily proven as misinformation by pointing them to Club Touareg site. Told that in the age of the internet, company's can no longer hide behind such claims. VWA came back offering to do it if I agreed to come up with $660AUD. I refused and told that that was not good enough from a company as large as the VW Group and am awaiting an outcome. Will post when I hear back but don't simply accept that you have to pay!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe that some of the earlier models did not have the lower LED. This is proving to be a huge issue, particularly with MY15 models. VW needs to own up to the issue. Even cheap Chinese LED come with guarantees of 80,000 - 100,000 hours of continuous use. Mine failed at just over 40,000Kilometers:mad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Could this issue be a manufacturing fault, that has been fixed on later model Touaregs?

Most of the people reporting issues look like theirs are either 2014 or 2015 models, with the one exception being 2016 (which could be an MY16 built in 2015).

Mine has a build of mid-Oct 2015 (ie MY16) and luckily does not have the failed LED issue that others have reported.

Can people with LED's who have the issue confirm the build dates of their Touaregs?

It would go great to determine if this is specific to vehicles that rolled off the production line during a specific period, that was resolved for later cars.
Mine was built 4th quarter 2014 MY15 and has sam issue, same side.

·
Registered
451 Posts
As with the internal insulation failures of the headlight harnesses in the earlier Tregs, VW will put it down to "wear and tear"

21 - 40 of 75 Posts