Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I am also in the party-pooper camp.

Just accepted a new job - and there is a 6 month vacation hold, so I am not released for vacation days until September. Even then, I'll be limiting the number of expended days so I can bank some later.

On top of that, I'll start converting my 'Reg back into stock status for lease turn-in mid-August or sooner - hopefully on that long rumored V6 TDI.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Karl, we will miss you for sure. I guess this means you will really have to write some code now instead of reading the forums all day.:p:p

Rick

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Announcement!:

For 2009, the event is moving to Crested Butte, CO. More details to come.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jeez, I'm off the boards for few weeks, and look at all the new developments.

Matt & Karl aren't coming (sorry guys, you will be missed)...

It's moving to Crested Butte (no Warehouse... bummer)

Hopefully lodging suggestions will be posted. ;)

...And RJ! any word on VW and the V6 TDI? (just checking)

The wife and I are looking forward to coming this year.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Hey, we like to to things lively. Biggest problems with Ouray this year were:
1) It's all been done. Ok not ALL, but a change of scenery will be nice
2) It would have been right behind the FJ rally. There were a few headaches associated with that.
3) There is some big family reunion that was also happening at about the same time, taking a lot of the rental properties off of the market for the times we usually arrive.

I will be coming up with some suggestions when I have a date for the event.

VRBO.com is probably your best bet for finding nice lodging. Beat them up on prices. On advice from BeauteBeautie (who lives there), stay in town, not up on the mountain. Nothing is going on up on the mountain. I don't know exactly where 'Touareg Central' will be this year. Maybe at Jerry's house.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Billie and I probably are not going to make it this year either due to other things that have come up and not enough time to take off. I even got some new tires I really wanted to try out, but I too will have to wait until next year. Maybe next year I we will be there in our TDI. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sadly to say the RvDUB clan is not planning on attending this year's rally. We instead will be taking a few other vacations this year. We look forward to seeing all the great pictures you guys will take !

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Wow, the bulk of our group is out for this year.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Wow, the bulk of our group is out for this year.
Smaller group should allow you to explore the new trails easier. ;) Then when we come back next year you will have it all figured out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The group will be a bit small but will make the trails a bit easier to explore! We can meet you guys in Marble to tour the old Marble mines if you want! These are the mines that the Jefferson Memorial in DC was made from...

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
New member here. I'm in Colorado Springs. So, forgive the noob questions, but what all do you guys do for the rally? What type/difficulty of trails? Something a stock Touareg could handle? If all goes well, I should be getting an 06 Touareg this weekend and would likely be up for the rally.
We all ran stock Tregs other then running oversized tires to get a little more clearance. If the one you are buying does not have air suspension, don't sweat it. I as well as a couple others run steel also and got through the same trails as the guys with air. You just have to pick a good line. You will need a full sized spare tire since the inflatable donut will not work to get you off the mountain. I am sure Aircooled will go over the necessary equipment needed when it gets closer to time. If you have never offroaded before do, I repeat do listen to what the guys tell you when you are running trails. They all have experience with the Treg offroad and know what it's capabilities are. They are not going to put you in a situation that you will be stuck out there. Worst thing that has happened the last two times I had been there were flat tires.

I sliced a sidewall my first year. Rick sliced one last year and I believe TregginginCO cut a tire the first time I went with them as well. Yes, it can happen and that is why you carry a full size spare with you. Bottom line is to have fun and fully appreciate what the Treg can do offroad.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a great time. I just spent about 30 minutes reading through the 2008 rally thread and looked at all 165+ pictures :) Looks like you guys had a killer time! I've had three Jeep Grand Cherokees (95, 98, 2002), but that was quite a few years ago. I did do quite a few trails in Moab back in 2002 I think it was. Also did Metburry Gulch, Longwater, and Hacket Gulch here in Colorado (before the Hayman fire) in my Jeeps. But now, I don't think I'll ever own a vehicle that's not a VW or Audi. I'm addicted to German vehicles now. :) I'm very excited to see what the Touareg can do.

The one that I'm looking at this weekend does have air suspension, but not a full sized spare. Where's the best place to get a full-sized wheel? I'm actually flying down to Austin to get this Touareg -- I've been so stoked the past few days that I haven't been able to sleep! LOL You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to getting a Touareg!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You'll have a blast Inferno.... Rally is the right place to learn about the Touareg. Then you can join us for your return to Moab :)

Wheels - Tire Rack was selling out an aftermark 17" for just over $100 awhile back. You can also find 17" Touareg wheels at dealerships when the customer wants to trade up to 18's or 19s. Check the for sale pages here - I got one set of wheels that way. Get a matching size tire to complete your spare - you dont want different sizes.

If you want to go further, you can get a set of offroad-capable tires. 265/70/17's will fit a Touareg - giving you a 31.7 - 31.8 (32") piece of grippy rubber that is more aggressive and has some sidewall protection. BFG AT KO's and Nitto's are popular among many offroaders. I also have a set of Goodyear Triple Treds of the same size, and some other brands out there. The 32" will throw off your speedometer / odometer; and you may find the vehicle not quite as quick - but it hasnt bothered me much.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Ebay is another place to pick up a spare wheel and tire. That is how I got mine. If you did not want to do a 265 width tire you could go with a 245/75/17 which would put you at 31.5 diameter tire. I personally like the narrower tire for snow. I am currently running a 245/70/17 which put me at 30.5.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
I thought the Touareg that I'm looking to pickup this weekend has the 18" wheels, but it actually has the 19X9 5 spoke with Michelin Diamaris 275/45R19. Doesn't sound too off-roading friendly. Has anyone else gone off-roading with similar sized wheels/tires?
The 19's are not a good idea. That is what was on the V8 VWoA gave us two years ago and we managed to puncture one of those tires. If you can pick you self up a set of 5 17's for offroad use. More selection for offroad tires in that size then the 18. Just keep the 19's for street use in the summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, we like to to things lively. Biggest problems with Ouray this year were:
1) It's all been done. Ok not ALL, but a change of scenery will be nice
2) It would have been right behind the FJ rally. There were a few headaches associated with that.
3) There is some big family reunion that was also happening at about the same time, taking a lot of the rental properties off of the market for the times we usually arrive.

I will be coming up with some suggestions when I have a date for the event.

VRBO.com is probably your best bet for finding nice lodging. Beat them up on prices. On advice from BeauteBeautie (who lives there), stay in town, not up on the mountain. Nothing is going on up on the mountain. I don't know exactly where 'Touareg Central' will be this year. Maybe at Jerry's house.
FINALY OUT OF JAIL!

GUESS I GOT A LITTLE TO CARRIED AWAY AT THE DENVER 'TEA PARTY' ... SOMEONE DID NOT LIKE MY SIGN: "SOME VILLAGE IN KENYA IS MISSING ITS IDIOT" THE BHO'S COPS ARE ROUGH.

ANYWAY, NOW THAT I'M ALLOWED TO COMMUNICATE AGAIN, 'TOUAREG RALLY CENTRAL' WILL IN FACT BE HELD AT THE SMITH'S IN CRESTED BUTTE. [TWO TOILETS / BIG PORCH AND DECK / MUCH OFF-STREET PARKING / CORDIALLITY TO BOOT / NO POLITICS ... HA!].

HERE'S OUR GPS DATA ... WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE WITH GOOGLE MAPS:

38 52' 18" N .... 106 59' 08"

IF YOU NEED TO CALL FOR SOME REASON, WE CAN BE REACHED AT 309-693-1220 UNTIL ABOUT JUNE 1ST ... THEN 970-349-9568 AFTER THAT. CELL PHONES WORK BUT, I DO NOT GIVE OUT NUBMERS SINCE MY EPISODE [TRACEABLE?]

LOOKING FORWARD TO ALL OLDIES AND NEWBIES ... THERE IS A BIG VARIEY OF ROADS / TRAILS / STREAMS ... AND SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE TO DO.

WE'LL START OF BY HOSTING A BBQ ON SUNDAY EVENING THE 2ND OF AUGUST UNLESS FOLKS SAY THEY WANT IT A DIFFERENT EVENING.

LAST THING: ALL "RESERVATIONS" MUST STAY IN AIRCOOLED'S HANDS. I'VE HAD MY HOLTELIER'S LICENCE REVOKED. LIQUOR AND FIREARMS LICENCES ARE STILL OKAY.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts