Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
None of those tests confuse or intimidate me, i'm very familiar with how to use a DVOM, it's just a matter of how to get at them because the headlight bucket blocks everything when it's installed. To none of those tests confuse or intimidate me, it's just a matter of how to get at them because the headlight bucket blocks everything when it's installed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, I cut and soldered the new wires, and heat wrapped them, but the light out put is amazing and I will be sure to grab photos and do a writeup when I have time in the next few weeks.

D1 55w was what I chose.

Like I said, I never replaced them for the light output (which WAS much improved), I did for the cooler running temp since I'm always driving at night and the Tregs lights run really hot. Plus since I've owned the car I've replaced my bulbs maybe 10 times, if not more. So much I broke my headlight bracket and now they're held in place by tight wire ties that are removeable.

Nearly all the bulbs in my car are led except the tail lights, because I stripped the bolts holding them in place and haven't had the time to break them free.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Get LED D1S's and H11's. That's what I recently did. The H11 are the fogs, make sure you get resistors to get rid of the error message. Also they run 100x cooler so the headlights aren't baking something every time you turn them on.
Mine are xenon. So you'd suggest switching to LED's?? With an installed light bar like Singh has done I should be able to get the light output up to a decent level at least? Will installing LED's throw up error codes? Surely it's not a plug n play solution there?

·
Registered
994 Posts
My thoughts.

I have 2 24 inch LED lightbars on my Explorer, they throw great light but don't have a lot of penetration but that would be ok if you're using LEDs for low beam.

Even though the LEDs put out a lot of light they just don't seem to work in the rain, I don't know why.
No good at all in fog because they are too bright but that's on a high beam setting.

That makes me wonder how LEDs fitted to the reflector like a normal bulb would be like in bad weather.

I had H7 35w HIDs in the low beam of my Mondeo (Contour) and they were fantastic for fog.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine are xenon. So you'd suggest switching to LED's?? With an installed light bar like Singh has done I should be able to get the light output up to a decent level at least? Will installing LED's throw up error codes? Surely it's not a plug n play solution there?
You need the wattage converters I have listed also.

The light output is great, whatever anyone says. I've only noticed improvement.

But still, can I mention how BLAZING HOT the error-cancelling wattage converters get when they're turned on? Make sure to put them in a cool spot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have been following both this thread and the other one and I am confused now. I know very little when it comes to the specifics of lighting and understanding the power outputs, etc. But it is starting to sound like the best course of action for the ones that are experiencing crappy lighting, to start fresh by getting new crystal clear housings, ballasts, and sticking with factory bulbs and then working from there. Along with (at a minimum) visually checking the wiring for any kind of visible corrosion.

I do like the idea of LED's but it's sounding like most people are saying to stay away from them, at least for the low beam headlights. Use them for the fog lights and the high beams if you really want to make the switch.

In layman's terms, does this sound about right?

(p.s. I will be posting this in both threads just in case).

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Take some pictures as you do the job and post them on here for others to see please.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.