Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
My headlights are pretty faded and I don't have problems with them. Granted I put in a new bulb every few months because they burn out so quickly from how much I drive. I also turn my fog lights on every time I drive at night.

Get LED D1S's and H11's. That's what I recently did. The H11 are the fogs, make sure you get resistors to get rid of the error message. Also they run 100x cooler so the headlights aren't baking something every time you turn them on.
And where you bought them?? Thank you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bulbs: Amazon.com: SNGL® Super Bright 90W 9000lm LED Headlight Conversion Kit - Adjustable Focus Length - Replaces Halogen & Xenon HID Kit / Bulbs - D1S / D1R / D2C / D2S / D2R / D3S / D4R / D4S - 6000K White: Automotive

Warning cancel: http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Comput...e=UTF8&qid=1451422951&sr=8-5&keywords=d1s+led

It's a weird install because you need to find a place for them but the advertised lumens are 9k lm.

Ill post photo's when I get the chance, but if you're willing to spend the money I'd say go for it and the led's last very long.

Not my photo but very similar, the left is normal xenon and right is led.

The reason I actually got these was because the normal D1S's I kept getting were almost melting the inside of my headlights. These leds barely emit heat, but the resistors and warning cancelers might get hot so store them in a cool place.

There are some cheaper ones on ebay but they're not as bright and there's a 50/50 chance they'll work or you'll be getting a new set every half year or so.
d1s led | eBay
Warning cancel: 2X No Error No Flickering Warning Error Decoder Relay for LED Headlight D1S D2S | eBay
Just read your post and looked at the links. Also read some of the reviews on the LED kit. Did you have to cut into the factory wiring like the person with the C6 Corvette did? According to that review they have the same D1S HID bulbs and he had to cut into the factory wiring harness to make the lights work? Essentially saying that these are not plug-n-play for the "low beam" HID bulbs.

Here is a quote copied from his review:

"(2) I do NOT recommend the use of these type of LED bulbs on ANY factory HID bulb replacements. I bought a pair of D1S HID replacement for my 2008 Corvette Z06, as they are also advertised as plug and play. These kits do NOT come with any adaptor plugs, so you are going to have to cut into the factory wiring, and splice before the HID ballasts. I did NOT expect this, as I did not want to devalue my car by chopping up the factory wiring. I am not pleased, given that this kit comes with no adaptor plugs and the connection leads are pair small gage red & black wires. I measured for adequate room for the heat sinks and LED driver box module, but did NOT expect the lack of adaptor plugs, given the high quality level of the H9 bulb kit. I bought the SNGL kits for higher quality than the $89 or $100 competing kits on Amazon for the same bulb type. The seller tried to identify an adaptor plug that would allow me to retain the factory wiring. There may be something out there, but neither of us could find it. The seller did provide a full refund and refunded the shipping that the Amazon fulfillment center normally does not do. I think that these LEDs would have outperformed my 35W factory HIDs by a wide margin, but I am not willing to modify the factory wiring. So if you decided to try, find adaptor wires or be prepared to splice into the factory wiring."

If you would be willing to do a little write up with corresponding photos explaining exactly what you had to do to install them that would be great. I'm sure there are a lot of people that may shy away from this particular kit if you do actually have to splice into the factory wiring harness versus having a true "plug-n-play" application.

Otherwise this kit looks good promising.
Thank you.
ArgonSr.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have been following both this thread and the other one and I am confused now. I know very little when it comes to the specifics of lighting and understanding the power outputs, etc. But it is starting to sound like the best course of action for the ones that are experiencing crappy lighting, to start fresh by getting new crystal clear housings, ballasts, and sticking with factory bulbs and then working from there. Along with (at a minimum) visually checking the wiring for any kind of visible corrosion.

I do like the idea of LED's but it's sounding like most people are saying to stay away from them, at least for the low beam headlights. Use them for the fog lights and the high beams if you really want to make the switch.

In layman's terms, does this sound about right?

(p.s. I will be posting this in both threads just in case).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.