Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be missing something but on this Touareg new to me about a month ago there's these patterns cut into the dash on the passenger side I have attached a picture does anybody know what these are from or what they're for any info would be appreciated thank you 20200407_150550_HDR.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
I would get it checked ASAP. There is a weakness in the vinyl where the air bag cavity is.
Who knows what has happened/is happening underneath that 'panel' that is causing the stress.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Good grief guys. All of the T1 will do this sooner or later. I am surprised that I am the only one who has seen this.

It is just the seam where the airbag is. VW did not choose the best material for the dash or they erred in how that made the seam in the material. I have seen this on multiple T1.

It does not seem to matter if it is garaged or sits outside. Eventually the dash material separates at the airbag seams. The "seams" around the airbag was perfed so that airbag would always deploy in an consistent way.

Only fix / solution is to replace the entire dash. Wait until you see the quote for that! Eek!

·
Registered
684 Posts
^ Exactly. The seam is very very thin and micro-perforated. Age and heat will cause it to separate. No need to freak out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would get it checked ASAP. There is a weakness in the vinyl where the air bag cavity is.
Who knows what has happened/is happening underneath that 'panel' that is causing the stress.
It's not bulging like there's pressure. I've seen that same thing on other Touaregs in YouTube videos repairing one thing or another. No hasn't been in a wreck as far as I know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good grief guys. All of the T1 will do this sooner or later. I am surprised that I am the only one who has seen this.

It is just the seam where the airbag is. VW did not choose the best material for the dash or they erred in how that made the seam in the material. I have seen this on multiple T1.

It does not seem to matter if it is garaged or sits outside. Eventually the dash material separates at the airbag seams. The "seams" around the airbag was perfed so that airbag would always deploy in an consistent way.

Only fix / solution is to replace the entire dash. Wait until you see the quote for that! Eek!
I've got the same thing going on in my 2006, it spent a lot of time in Arizona. I've thought about ways to fix it but any patch job will probably look worse. My 2004 dash is pristine, but it spent some time in Canada so the heat wasn't as extreme.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
It’s common on cars from hot climates. It’s a not hard fix to replace the dash top. I did it in a apartment parking lot in about 3 hours. Just find one in a wrecking yard. They go for about $100. Surprising how easy it is to replace.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I worry that any mat might hit my face full force during an airbag deployment.

Blownvette, you replaced a Touareg dash in 3 hours?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
Yes. It’s not hard. Maybe 20 screws in total.

Reactions: nickyt

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
Not much. I did it without any instructions. Just get a replacement dash and look at where the screws go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like an airbag has gone off. Was it in an accident?
I may be missing something but on this Touareg new to me about a month ago there's these patterns cut into the dash on the passenger side I have attached a picture does anybody know what these are from or what they're for any info would be appreciated thank you View attachment 236429
It is just like my 2010.
I talked to a mechanic yesterday and he said the air bag will not deploy because of that.
I think VW should make a recall. It is happening to lots people. I love the car but if we decide to sell it is going to nock the price down. Does anyone knows who should we contact ar VW?
tks
Ricardo

·
Registered
684 Posts
It is just like my 2010.
I talked to a mechanic yesterday and he said the air bag will not deploy because of that.
I think VW should make a recall. It is happening to lots people. I love the car but if we decide to sell it is going to nock the price down. Does anyone knows who should we contact ar VW?
tks
Ricardo
Your mechanic is uninformed. How would that prevent the airbag from deploying?
Your vehicle is now over 10 years old, VW won’t issue a recall or anything of the sort for a cracked/worn dash lol.

Reactions: gryhnd

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
It is just like my 2010.
tks
Ricardo
You mean like the 90s Dodge trucks that ALL HAVE cracked dashes because they are cheaply built, thin-plastic pieces of crap?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts